Aerial photography and the 170/180

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

While this subject includes the 180 as a potential photo plane, ...it should be mentioned that while the 170 does not require a spoiler, the 180/185 series does. Wm. Thompson documented the reasons in his book, but primarily it had to do with extreme airframe buffeting that can occur under certain conditions of cabin loading. (He was greatly alarmed to find the wingtips vibrating/flapping up/down almost 4 inches under certain conditions.) The spoiler attached to the removed door's hinges solved the problem, and it became part of the mod-kit for photo/sky-diving.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
fitenfyr

Post by fitenfyr »

Eric,
This guy was an old timer (no offence) he flew 170's years ago not recently.
The Port Orchard Airport....Mis managed mess is what it is.
We used to fly R/C out there but the owner got greedy and wanted to build houses. If you notice on the NW side of the airport there is a whole area cleared out for a housing developement..Then they found out the ground wouldn't perk and the sewer system wasn't coming in soon. :D

It would make a great airport community once they get the utilities sorted out, but the owners are not willing to put the money into it I think.

I beleive there are still a few planes hangered there, but the hangers are also falling down from what I see and have heard. The runway was in bad shape, but I see they have done some work to it this past year.

I grew up only a few miles from there and my mom and dad still live nearby.

The Pizza joint at the end of the runway is pretty good though. :D

I think the close proximity of PWT with the intrument approaches and nicer facilities have over shadowed the Port Orchard Airport also.

I agree always wanted to put a house on the E side there along Sidney myself with a big hanger out back. Maybe someday I will come into some SERIOUS money and buy the place. :D
Jason Stiffey
Fly fast...Live slow....
zero.one.victor

Post by zero.one.victor »

A few years back a friend & I were flying by when we spotted some RC action there. So we landed our planes (a 170 & a Pacer) & walked up to the RC strip to check it out. Man, talk about getting the cold shoulder! It was like pulling teeth to even get them guys to say hi. Most people, when you walk up & ask them about their hobby--especially when they're obviously into a similar,related hobby-- are eager to answer your questions. We finally said to heck with them & blew on out of there.
Last time I was there, I did notice a clearing up kinda by the RC side of things, didn't think too much about what it might be for. Hope the houses don't happen unless it's gonna be an airpark. A housing development would kill off the airport in short order otherwise.
As I recall, one of our members hangars his ragwing project there. What's the scoop on that place, Olan?

Eric
zero.one.victor

Post by zero.one.victor »

oops
Last edited by zero.one.victor on Fri Oct 29, 2004 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fitenfyr

Post by fitenfyr »

No houses anytime soon. Like I said last time I heard there was a problem with the utilities.
I think they are trying to make it an Airpark, but like I said the managers have been a tad flakey at times.

Too bad about the cold shoulder. The guys I flew with there were all pretty cordial.
If I had been there I would have let you fly. :D Course I would have want a recipricol aggrement. :D
If you ever want to come check it out again give me a buzz.
We have a new field about 2 miles or so SE of PWT.
If you are coming into the pattern from the E you probably fly right over it.
Blacktop looking runway with an X on it and a big white canopy to the E.
My bearings may be off a tad but it is S of the drag strip.

It would be great to meet you sometime and check out your plane. Next time you plan on day out to PWT give me a shout.
Jason Stiffey
Fly fast...Live slow....
ohanley

Post by ohanley »

Were no longer there. I had my "A" model hangered there for about a year. Everything about the operation of the airport was non standard (Squirrelly as heck). Every time I called the realtor that I leased from, (in Tacoma) they were never available. But several days later someone else would call me from a different office in Bremerton. Never could get anyone to explain to me what was going on. Even had someone who called himself the property manager cut locks off and put his on. When I talked to him about the airport plans and future he was very evasive and non committal.

Really too bad it could be a very nice facility.

Olan
ohanley
N5756C
fitenfyr

Post by fitenfyr »

Sounds about right Olan. :D
I agree 100% the airport was really great when I moved here with my folks in the early 80's since then it has gone downhill.

I am not kidding if I ever come up with the $$$ I am going to make the owners an offer they can't refuse. :D
Build a big house on the east side and a whole bunch of T-hagers to get the airport back up.
Course I think I will have to limit it to tail draggers only and give priority placement to the 170 pilots around here. :D

It would make a neat Rhinebeck kind of style airport. Nothing newer than say 1970? No big engines or loud props. Just classic aircraft that the neighbors would look up and say "cool old airplane" :D
Jason Stiffey
Fly fast...Live slow....
Joe Moilanen

Post by Joe Moilanen »

Jason, I may be going up your way in the near future to do some photo jobs out of my 170B. I'll get a hold of you if I do and maybe we can meet up.

Joe Moilanen
Moitek Aerial Imaging
446 Moilanen Road
Longview, WA 98632
(360) 636-2974
(360) 430-0634
moilanen@scattercreeek.com
http://www.moitek-infrared.com
fitenfyr

Post by fitenfyr »

Joe,
That would be great.
Give me as much notice as you can. My Schedule is hectic, but I will make time to meet with you. :D
Hopefully we can find a day that works for all of us. :D

Got stuck at the fire station on mandatory overtime today.
My kids are NOT happy. :roll: Hard to tell a 9 and 7 year old that Dad is not going to be home to take them out tonight.
I need a new career. :D
Jason Stiffey
Fly fast...Live slow....
pdb

Post by pdb »

mvivion wrote: Sorry, my point was, DON'T take the door off, just open the window.
Last summer I took the door off, removed EVERYTHING loose in the cabin, belted in a professional photographer, and did about a 2 hour air to air photo session of gliders flying in the McKinley Park area here in Alaska.

Flying with the door off had no discernable effects on the aircraft and it wasn't even as breezy as I expected.

Pulling the door off takes 30 seconds and putting it back on about 45.

Visibility with the door off is very good for the pax and our photographer had nothing but superlatives for the plane as a camera ship for through the door shots.

Pete
Pete Brown
Anchorage, Alaska
N4563C 1953 170B
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2366/2527 ... 4e43_b.jpg
fitenfyr

Post by fitenfyr »

Thanks Pete...Good to hear.
Jason Stiffey
Fly fast...Live slow....
Jr.CubBuilder

Post by Jr.CubBuilder »

I know I should be thumbing through my FAR/AIM for this........but I'm lazy. You are required to have parachutes on for door open operations aren't you?
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

No. Parachutes are only required for non-crewmembers during maneuvers exceeding 60-degrees bank/30-degrees pitch in non-instructional operations. (Note that this regulation is NOT attempting a definition of aerobatics.)
See FAR 91.307 (c) and (d).
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
jmbrwn

Post by jmbrwn »

I assume it's also OK to fly with both doors removed? :?
Jim Brown
N9753A
'49 C170A
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Jim I wouldn't assume that. The helicopters I fly have different limitations depending on what and how many doors are open. In some helciopters you must open both doors and others just one. I've read the approval George sites which is in an AC for parachute jumping. As I recall it only says one door so that would be all you could remove legally under that approval.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com