"Boston Fasteners"

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

punkin170b

"Boston Fasteners"

Post by punkin170b »

I have searched for posts regarding rebuild of the window latches. "Binding Posts" and "Boston Fasteners" have been discussed, and everybody from Home Depot the local office supply store has been named as a source. I have not been able to find them anywhere! Any new ideas? Thanks as always...
Matt
"Rule books are paper. They will not cushion a sudden meeting of stone and metal." (E.K. Gann)
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Matt..binding posts are commonly found at office supply houses. They are used for binding folders and pre-punched paper together.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
punkin170b

Post by punkin170b »

Hmmm... "commonly" isn't a description I would use! I've tried Office Max and Depot. One guy didn't even know what a binding post was. The other said he'd seen them before, but not for years & they didn't sell them anyway. Specifically, at which office supply house did you find them? Again, thanks!
Matt
"Rule books are paper. They will not cushion a sudden meeting of stone and metal." (E.K. Gann)
JDH

Post by JDH »

Matt, I saw some at our local Home Depot just this past weekend. Now, they may call it something different, so, maybe go back in the hardware/fastener department of your local Home Depot and find "the older guy" in the department and explain what you're looking for. For instance, when I found mine a couple of years ago, I didn't know those things had a name, so I began explaining that it was a 2 part fastener that used to be used to fasten punched paper; you know, they look like if you'd take 2 roofing nails and one would be female and the other male; they have slotted heads... That's about when the guy's little light bulb light up...
By the way, if like me, when you find them, if they are too long, you can cut the female side of it to fit tighter.
Good luck,
JD
Curtis Brown

Post by Curtis Brown »

I do not have the window latches and I have to hold the door open when taxiing to keep from melting in the Mississippi heat. You might think I would break down and invest the $500 plus labor or more for two latches. But first are you discussing an alternate latch system here or a repair of existing latches.
Curtis
1950 A model 1256D
punkin170b

Post by punkin170b »

Curtis, we're discussing the repair of existing latches on the factory openable main door windows. Man, I'd look into installing a new set of doors with openable windows if I was forced to fly around in this heat/humidity in the middle of the day! I'm kinda glad we're in project mode this time of year...

Thanks for the suggestion, JD, I'll try Home Depot again this weekend. I've got a list of honeydo's to take care of anyway!

Matt
N1277D

Post by N1277D »

Boston Fastners, and binding posts ?? why not just use an AN pin with a washer and cotter pin. See the Spruce Catelog for the Part Numbers. They are made to the correct length and cost just a few dollars <$5
Doug Echelberger

Fastners

Post by Doug Echelberger »

I have used the fastners you describ in harness work. I purchased them at a tack/feed store.

Doug
Doug
N2426D
North Calif.
zero.one.victor

Post by zero.one.victor »

I just noticed some "binding posts" at my local True Value hardware store,in the nut'n'bolt department.

Eric
N170CT

Post by N170CT »

Matt,

I have a few assorted Binding Posts. Can you provide the quantity and length of binding post you need?? If you wish, drop me a personal line to: cthiggy@juno.com.
Regards,
Chuck
N3150B

Binding Bolts

Post by N3150B »

As they say, Been there, done that.
Check out McMaster Carr's catalog on the web.
http://www.mcmaster.com/
look for "binding bolt" or part number 93121A345
That may be what you are looking for.
Good Luck
N3150B Now N170BG
1953 C-170B
Brian Grimshaw
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

zero.one.victor wrote:I just noticed some "binding posts" at my local True Value hardware store,in the nut'n'bolt department.

Eric
Yep. The local True Value has them in their "Hill Fasteners" area. (Hill is a supplier.)
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)