It's finally finished!

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

N2865C

It's finally finished!

Post by N2865C »

It's finally finished! Well mostly finished anyway. It's good to be flying regularly again!!
Here is a link to some pics.

http://cessna1200.tripod.com/

jc
Last edited by N2865C on Fri Jul 23, 2004 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
N170BP

Post by N170BP »

Congratulations!

It's really nice to see TLC, devotion and passion go back
into these old airframes.

Looks like you found a good, solid 170 and made a cream-puff
out of it.

Have fun flying it!
Bela P. Havasreti
'54 C-180
170C

John's '54

Post by 170C »

You two have done a really fine job of restoring a beautiful airplane! It really looks sharp. Now bring it to the 2005 convention so we can see it in the flesh (aluminum).
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

It't too bad '65C wasn't finished a few weeks ago. Looks like she would have been an award winner in Tehachapi! Hope to see you around some the western fly-ins; Copperstate maybe?

Miles
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
russfarris

Post by russfarris »

VERY NICE JOB!!! But, from the pictures I couldn't tell for sure if you kept
the original 20 inch wing N numbers - (the picture of the finished polish job was dark under the wing.) Russ Farris, President of the 170 Historical Sticklers Society!!!

historical sticklers Society
All glory is fleeting...
beeliner

It's finally finished!

Post by beeliner »

Great website and great plane! I can appreciate just what time and effort you are investing. I'm in the middle of the same project. Polishing is tedious but rewarding. Are you using the Nuvite system? I'd like to swap any polishing tips based on your experiences.
jcraver

Post by jcraver »

Thanks for all the good feedback,

To answer all of your questions:

I had it ready for the convention and planned on coming. Unfortunately due to a family emergency I was unable to attend. Too bad because it was so close.

As for originality, I did not put on the big N numbers on the wing. I live in one of the most beautiful flying areas in the world, and it's filled with tree huggers. Now of course I would NEVER fly up the coast at 200 ft., but I figured that the numbers can always be added later. I also added two slash type pockets to the interior front side panels. No pockets just did not make sense.

My biggest sin (George, hang on to your pacemaker) was to paint the wings a metallic silver. I left the leading edges polished and you really have to look twice before you notice. The bottoms of the wings and control surfaces just had too much surface pitting to polish without reskinning. Living along the coast, I'm sure that I won't miss polishing the underside of the wings. Other than that, it looks just like the original sales brochure.

I do use Nuvite. Lots of work, but the results are great. Every skin seems to be a little different. Mostly I have had good results compounding with G6 or F7 - Polishing with G6 and then final polish with S. I find that it is more art than science.

jc