FAR's & blood pressure

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

eichenberger

Post by eichenberger »

I don't know, but I think it's in the AME handbook, or whatever they call it.
Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
jeichenberger@ehlawyers.com
n4517c

Post by n4517c »

As I said in an earlier post in this thread, my AME read to me the limits for all classes out of his handbook. 155/95 was the limit for 2nd class and may have been the limit for all classes, but I was only concerned about 2nd. That was the limit for untreated blood pressure. The AME went on to say that there is no firm limit for treated blood pressure. He said that this topic had been covered at their refresher courses in Oklahoma. The feds had made clear to the docs that they did not want to review the cases of pilots who are being satisfactorily treated using FAA approved drugs. As opposed to setting a treated limit on blood pressure the FAA wanted a letter from a doctor stating that the pilot's BP was being medicated successfully.
Roesbery

Post by Roesbery »

I have not tried it yet, but Hibiscus tea (Hibiscus sabdariffa) has allegedly been used in clinical research to be a effective way to reduce blood pressure about 10 to 12%. My pressure bulb died of old age so need to get a new one before I can test this tea. Drink the tea one hour before checking pressure is suposed to do the trick. For what it is worth.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

The kidneys are the body's blood-pressure regulators. Go in dehydrated. 48 hours before, hold off on coffee, tea, and alcohol and salt!
Listen to calming music on the way, and have sleepy thoughts on hand.
Last edited by GAHorn on Sun Jul 04, 2004 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
Sherpa

Blood pressure

Post by Sherpa »

The FAA GUIDE FOR AVIATION MEDICAL EXAMINERS is available on the web at http://www.faa.gov/avr/aam/Game/Version ... e/home.htm.

The guidelines note an acceptable blood pressure of 155/95 or less. The blood pressure should be measured more than once to make sure that it is truly elevated.

FAR Section 67 is available on the web at http://www.faa.gov/avr/aam/Game/Version ... #Sec67_111

I think that the blood pressure number of 155/95 is determined by the Federal Air Surgeon per §67.113 b & c - similar for 2nd and 3rd class certificates.

General medical condition.
The general medical standards for a first-class airman medical certificate are:

(a) No established medical history or clinical diagnosis of diabetes mellitus that requires insulin or any other hypoglycemic drug for control.

(b) No other organic, functional, or structural disease, defect, or limitation that the Federal Air Surgeon, based on the case history and appropriate, qualified medical judgment relating to the condition involved, finds --

(1) Makes the person unable to safely perform the duties or exercise the privileges of the airman certificate applied for or held; or

(2) May reasonably be expected, for the maximum duration of the airman medical certificate applied for or held, to make the person unable to perform those duties or exercise those privileges.

(c) No medication or other treatment that the Federal Air Surgeon, based on the case history and appropriate, qualified medical judgment relating to the medication or other treatment involved, finds --

(1) Makes the person unable to safely perform the duties or exercise the privileges of the airman certificate applied for or held; or

(2) May reasonably be expected, for the maximum duration of the airman medical certificate applied for or held, to make the person unable to perform those duties or exercise those privileges.