Autopilot for a 170B

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

LouLaSalle

Autopilot for a 170B

Post by LouLaSalle »

Does anyone know which, if any autopilot(s), are available and legal for a 1952 170B.

I just went thru the S-Tec list, and they have STC's for every Cessna ever made, except the 170. I think that that's discrimination.

Is there any information out there?

Thanks
Lou La Salle
N2485D
Elephant Path, Pa. (PS03)
doug8082a

Post by doug8082a »

I took a look at the FAA STC list for the "170 Series" and the 170B and didn't see anything for autopilots. You might have to go the 337/field approval route.
Doug
LouLaSalle

Post by LouLaSalle »

Thanks Doug. Life is never easy.

How is your plane coming along.
Lou La Salle
N2485D
doug8082a

Post by doug8082a »

The plane is coming along slowly. The panel parts are at the paint shop and the control surfaces should be back in a week or so (I think). Hopefully, we'll start putting things back together in about 2 weeks.
Doug
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

The Lear model L-2B was approved by the type certificate. I've seen a 170A with a TacAir unit on the ramp but do not know the basis of approval, likely STC but might also be field approved.
Any autopilot approved for an early 172/172A can likely obtain approval but the cost may be prohibitive.
The Century I is approved for the B-model, but it's heading/Nav only. (Basically a wing-leveller, which no correctly rigged 170B needs.) No altitude hold. http://www.centuryflight.com/products/f ... oducts.htm
They also have an independent Yaw Damper which will install in any airplane (or so their literature indicates.)
I've dealt with Century (formerly Edo-Mitchell) and they are a very small, conscientious company located in Mineral Wells, TX. It's impossible to do business with them without developing pleasant, personal realtionships. They're that kind of company. (Employee-owned since Edo quit the business.)
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
LouLaSalle

Post by LouLaSalle »

Thanks George. Do you know makes the Century 1? I thought that it was S-tec, but couldn't find it anywhere. Since my plane came back from the paint shop the rigging has changed. That will be corrected at annual. But some times it would be nice just to relax for a while and let George drive.
(The other George).

Doug,

It's good to hear that your Baby is going back together, and will soon be flying again. My was OOS for 3 months, and that is a long time. What colors did you go for?
Lou La Salle
N2485D
170C

Autopilot on 170's

Post by 170C »

Century Autopilots are also located at Mineral Wells, TX as far as I know. There is a gentleman in Longview, TX that I met several months ago who has (I believe) a Century AP in his plane, but I don't know what all he had to do to get it approved. Cleo Bickford has an AP in his 170, but again I don't know what brand.
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
doug8082a

Post by doug8082a »

The exterior will be Ivory with Cabernet Red trim. The main panel will be Ivory with the Cabernet Red overlay panels (including the plexi panel). The instrument bezels will also be Ivory. The interior knobs/controls/yokes will be a lighter red which is still TBD.
Doug
LouLaSalle

Post by LouLaSalle »

Ole Pokey,

Thanks for the information! I am going to start the process of getting an
AP for our B. It may take a while, after justing having spent big $$$'s, on a restoration and paint job. I think it will be a handy gadget tohave to lighten my work load. I only get bumped around when I am trying to read a chart, or plug in a waypoint on my handheld.

Doug,

Your Paint scheme sounds great. You will have to send a pic or two.
Patty and I are planning to go to Kentmoor, in Maryland, provided we can enter the Wash. ADIZ without being interceptrd or shot at.

The lure of Maryland Crab cake's is strong. Even though I am trying lose in weight what I picked up with the paint job.

Best everyone, have an enjoyable Holiday!
Lou La Salle
N2485D
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

LouLaSalle wrote:Thanks George. Do you know makes the Century 1? I thought that it was S-tec, but couldn't find it anywhere. Since my plane came back from the paint shop the rigging has changed. That will be corrected at annual. But some times it would be nice just to relax for a while and let George drive.
(The other George).

Doug,

It's good to hear that your Baby is going back together, and will soon be flying again. My was OOS for 3 months, and that is a long time. What colors did you go for?
Hey, Lou! Did I miss something? Or did you. I gave a link to the Century folks at Mineral Wells. They make their own brand of autopilots. (S-TEC is at the same airport,...across the field.)
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
LouLaSalle

Post by LouLaSalle »

George,

I missed it. I am fairly well unconcious sometimes. I should be glad that you didn't send me a snake.

I would perfer the S-tec 20, but I can live with the Century 1.

Thanks
Lou La Salle
N2485D