Suggested order of things in a re-building project

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Cooper

Suggested order of things in a re-building project

Post by Cooper »

This is probably one of those questions that you should know the answer to; but, you just want to feel all good and fuzzy about it before you start.

At any rate, I am in the planning stages of rebuilding my 1953 Cessna 170B. There is some sheet metal work that needs to be done, interior work, different instrument panel design.

Is it better to re-paint the airplane and then do the interior work such as carpet, seats, panel, etc. or do all the interior work first? I will be making all of the necessary repairs and replacements on the wings, airframe, etc. before any painting is to be done.

Of course there are many pros and cons I am sure. I lean toward doing all of the outside work first and then doing the inside. I might add that the aircraft is apart in separate sections now: wings, fuselage, rudder, elevator, etc.

I do hope I get some input on this because I would like to start in the next couple of weeks to get into the project as heavily as I can.

I really like this site and everyone has been very helpful to me over the past several months as I have purchased tail handles, Bartone exhaust, and a host of other little items. I am still on the list for the eye hook and tow attachements.

Thanks a lot for a really useful place to go to for information about my old Cessna 170.
Remel_Cooper@BellSouth.net
Jacksonville, Florida 32256
1953 Cessna 170 B N3011A
doakes

Post by doakes »

I rebuilt a 52 170 B from pieces.

I repaired all the outside first and then painted the plane then assembled it together and then did the interior last. Then I flew the plane.

I wish that you were closer as I have wing things to hold them while being painted. I also have a method to turn the fuselage while painting. I would be glad to get them to you, it makes painting easier.

I hope it goes ok for you.
Dave
doug8082a

Post by doug8082a »

I'm in the middle of doing my '52 and I've had to take the reverse approach (but then again, my plane isn't in pieces to start). There are things I'm working on that are best done before the plane is painted. There was a little corrosion where the old ADF antenna mount attached to the boot cowl. We had to drill out the piece and replace it. I'll be doing some radio work that will involve new antennas. I will also be replacing the windows including the side ones that are riveted in place. Also, I'm having several control surfaces re-skinned. All these are things that I wouldn't want to do after I had new paint on the plane.

I'd think long and hard about EVERYTHING you plan on doing before painting it. IF you are positive that you won't be disturbing a brand new paint job then I guess you could start on the outside first. However, if you think that you will be tackling things like antennas, windows, or fear you may encounter some sheet metal that needs replacing, then I'd paint it last.

My $.02
Doug
zero.one.victor

Post by zero.one.victor »

I think that if I was ambitious enough to take on a project like this, I'd consider doing the exterior finish last. Less chance of scarfing up that expensive paint job,while moving the airplane ( & components thereof) around, and while crawling in & out of the airplane working on stuff.
Actually, I think I would rebuild it & then put some flying time on it before paint. You might decide after flying it that you want that STOL cuff,or VG's, or maybe it needs an aileron tab or some other special rigging to fly hands-off. Or you might get really ambitious & decide you want that original clean polished look. Ooooh!

Eric
dacker

Post by dacker »

I am just wrapping up my refurbishing of 9584A, and am close to sending it to the paint shop. I concur with doing all of the work first then painting. If you are doing any extensive work at all, it is hard not to scratch things. Also, it seems to me that you would want to repaint the interior, door jambs, etc, then move outward and paint the exterior. Just my two cents.
David
c170b53

Post by c170b53 »

Its just a big undertaking that needs only time and money. Inspect everything, assess what needs replacing, take lots of pictures before taking it apart even if it appears to be a no brainer. Its easier to paint when in smaller pieces and easier to scratch when reassembly takes place but touch ups will happen even with a perfect job.Decide on what updates and stick to that list. Order all the parts and don't stop working when a problem surfaces, but the problem aside, ask questions, think about it while working on other stuff. You don't have to fix everything right away unless it will affect a large area to be painted or obviously airworthiness. The sooner it goes back together the sooner you will be flying and during the winter months you can address the deferred discrepancy. If you want everything perfect at once buy a new airplane. Everything has a best before date so enjoy the aircraft and improve it as you go. Just a thought as I see lots of projects that go over the top but sometimes never will.