Replace headliner

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

N53LD

Replace headliner

Post by N53LD »

Hello all,

Looking to replace the headliner in my 1953 C170B. Has discoloration from leaky fuel guages. Fixed them up easy enough, but the fabric is all janky and smelly.

Rest of interior is fine, just need the headliner.

Any recommendations on a good interior shop in the Mid-Atlantic area (DC, VA, MD, PA etc.)

Bill English
N53LD
VA62
brian.olson

Re: Replace headliner

Post by brian.olson »

Hi, Bill - you can order them from Airtex (https://www.airtexinteriors.com/) in either vinyl or wool. I've been very happy with ours.

Brian
Brian
1950 170A
N5762C s/n 19716
Joe Moilanen

Post by Joe Moilanen »

brian.olson wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 10:22 am Hi, Bill - you can order them from Airtex (https://www.airtexinteriors.com/) in either vinyl or wool. I've been very happy with ours.

Brian
I installed Airtex years ago and like it. Not hard to do with some patience. I chose wool because once it is installed you can take the wrinkles out by spraying the wrinkled area with a spray bottle to mist it and then use a hair dryer to shrink out the wrinkles.

Joe
4518C
c170b53

Post by c170b53 »

If its a wool headliner and its in not bad shape, use a spray can of brake cleaner, it will clean the fuel stain right up. Spray-small amounts and soak up excess fluid with a rag, you will be amazed at how well this works. Obviously use in a well ventilated area.
Jim McIntosh..
1953 C170B S/N 25656
02 K1200RS
schnepel

Post by schnepel »

On another note, If you would like to see a master at replacing a headliner take a look at www.taildraggeraviation.com

Lorraine Morris over in the Cessna 140 side of the house has put together a video of how to remove and replace a headliner. Although she uses a Cessna 140A to show how it's done, the video is well worth obtaining to help one through the process of replacing a headliner in classic Cessna airframe.

You can contact Lorraine to also set up an appointment to have her install your headliner if you desire. She's located in Poplar Grove, IL.
Attachments
Headliner-DVD-Cover.jpeg