1952 cessna 170B Ring bearing retainer

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Lynchh

1952 cessna 170B Ring bearing retainer

Post by Lynchh »

Hi
I am getting ready for the upcoming flying season and I pulled my wheel bearings for cleaning and repacking and found the ring bearing retainer badly damage and want to replace them on both wheels
My Cessna parts catalog does not show an illustration or parts listing for my original wheel. It shows a wheel illustration on page 52 however this is a different wheel from what I have
Please steer me in the right direction
Best
Henry
Hebron, NH
GAHorn

Re: 1952 cessna 170B Ring bearing retainer

Post by GAHorn »

Henry… what wheel do you have?

The original wheels for this airplane were Goodyear… but most of 170s today have Clevelands. (There are some likely still running on Goodyear and a few also with McCauley. McCauley eventually became a Cessna-owned product-line and are similar to Cleveland.)

The IPC (Illustrated Parts Catalog) lists Goodyear wheels, brakes, and bearings… and while the bearings Listed in the IPC can be forced to fit….there actually is a slight difference in dimensions which Should be used with Cleveland wheels (which is most-likely what you have. (?)

The actual O.D. of the “cup” is different for Cleveland wheels. viewtopic.php?p=67140&hilit=wheel+bearings#p67140

(The original Goodyear used cup PN 18830…. but Clevelands (wheel PN: 040-09701) use Cup PN 18836.) The Bearing-cone is the same in either wheel, PN 13889 These are Timken Part Numbers.

BTW: the need for “FAA-PMA” comes up in discussion from time to time ….(and my personal opinion regarding bearings, especially wheel bearings, sometimes gets in the way with what I probably SHOULD be saying publicly)….. and the “global economy” and bureaucratic policies meddle and muddle this issue even more…. but for those of my critics who, very correctly,…. Correct me…. : https://www.timken.com/resources/faa-pm ... ng-duncan/

NOW COMES THE PROBLEM: If you look at that “Approved” data….you will see that the FAA-PMA chart lists the WRONG CUP for a Cessna 170 which likely has Cleveland wheels…. And this is because the FAA-PMA chart does not recognize the change of wheels. However, if you utilize the Cleveland/Parker parts listing in the STC it will list the correct PN …. and it just-so-happens the FAA-PMA chart DOES list the 18836 cup as “Approved” for other, more recent Cessnas. (tiny little details) :?

Henry, I hope that answers your question…For when you say “ring retainer” …my cracked mind lept to what I call “cage”…the sheet-metal device which holds all the rollers together on the “cone”. (I’m editing my post as I type this…) Did you instead mean the “SNAP RING” which holds the felt-washer and bearing “sandwich” in the wheel…? THAT would be Cleveland PN 155-00100 and perhaps you might obtain that ($15) from Univair. https://www.univair.com/tires-wheels-br ... snap-ring/

Here’s the wheel parts break-down: https://www.univair.com/tires-wheels-br ... -assembly/
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)