Installing 180 gear legs

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

N8249A

Installing 180 gear legs

Post by N8249A »

I am going to install the 180 legs on my 170. Any suggestions for a cradle or jig to hold the aircraft while changing the gear legs? My IA says the a/c must be level(?). Any other additional info, heads up or cautions would be appreciated. Thanks
Marty,
N8249A, 52' 170B
Hangar 130(North Hangars) KSAC
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

I can't immagine why the airplane needs to be level to change the gear legs. I did mine by hoisting it one side at a time with a shop crane and a web strap fastened to the upper engine mount.
Just be sure you clear the wings when you start hoisting from one side.
BL
N170CT

Post by N170CT »

For what it's worth.....I recently replaced the left outboard landing gear bracket (installed PPONK) by hoisting the front of the aircraft so that both MLG are clear of terra firma. Used a sling about 3 to 4 inches wide positioned immediately forward of the MLG fuselage cutouts. Watch the venturis. IF you choose to do something like that, suggest you remove the battery and empty the fuel tanks as much as possible to lighten the load. Worked for me. Don't understand the requirement for leveling the aircraft. Good luck.
zero.one.victor

Post by zero.one.victor »

If it was me,I'd pick it up at the motor mount with an engine hoist. I'd then probably block it up at the tie-down eyes (upper end of the wing struts) to stabilize it in the roll axis.

Eric