check out u tube

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

ghostflyer

check out u tube

Post by ghostflyer »

On U tube there is a channel called “Skywagon university” and they have a comparison between Cessna 170B and a Cessna 180. His facts are pretty spot on but his cameras failed in the cockpit during the flights . It’s worth watching .
redacted

Re: check out u tube

Post by redacted »

Nathaniel Perlman
1952 170B
N2282D S/N 20434
Fishsticks

Post by Fishsticks »

I really enjoyed the comparison. Even learned some things.

But I would be lying If I said It didn't make me go look on barnstormers for a 180....
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

The BEST single-engined Cessna in the World…and one which I owned….was a normally-aspirated C-206… which, with it’s cargo-door and roomy seating would haul anything you could stuff in it and get airborne measured in hundreds-of-feet and clear obstacles with virtually no worries at all.

To this day I regret selling that airplane. It would outperform a 180 or a 182 while burning the same gph at the same or better speeds carrying almost twice as much.

So… WHY did I sell it..??

Simple. Operating costs. The inspections, maintenance and care of a large engine and constant speed prop was 2 or 3 times as much as a 170 …yet most of the time I only needed to carry 2 people and a few pounds of bags. $3K annual inspections back when a 170 annual was $700 or less….. that adds up over the years. And Insurance premiums. A 180 or 182 has similar operating costs as a 206 no matter how you slice it.

Yes, takeoff/climb/cargo capacity has it’s thrill….. but the down-side is operating costs.

If all you need is 2 people….or 4 people for short distances….. A 170 is hard to beat for inexpensive operating costs. :wink:
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
ghostflyer

Post by ghostflyer »

The Cessna 206 is an incredible aircraft but the newer 206 with the Lycoming engine is even better. Plus the turbo version will blow your socks off.
the turbo can increase operating costs but it’s performance is unbelievable . What Cessna says it can do ,it does it and some . i know of a couple of operators have ditched their lycoming powered 182,s and bought new 206,s. they claim it’s more cost effective to run 206,s.
But saying all that I will stick to my 170a not because of cost factors but it’s performance factors . It has side by side seating and you can put the dog in the back and take off on real bush /beach strips. The 170 will catch you out ,as it can land shorter than the take off roll required. I took off with 4 on board and about 1/2 fuel and the “runway” turned to soft sand at the lift off point. As we were climbing away ,there was a bird strike. That dammed bird was sitting in the tops of the trees. It’s easy to remove bits of twigs and leaves but bird guts makes a mess and smells.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Actually,….I had a bran-pharrt when I posted previously. I forgot the reason I (regretfully) sold the 206 was because I got multi-phloxxed when, after a long nighttime, bad-weather trip in the 206 Jamie asked me, “Do you think maybe we should get a Twin?”

And I fell for it. The $3K Cessna 206 annuals jumped to $8K-$10K Baron annuals and after 5 years of that I remembered how much I always admired Cessna One-Seventies. :lol:
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
ghostflyer

Post by ghostflyer »

There is another U tube doco thats called “The $200,000 Cessna 170. ITs click bait . It’s a very crude doco on the Cessna 170 from “Aviation Base”.
I can’t recommend it unless your TV is broke and the wife will not let you out to go to the football.