Steps

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

mrpibb

Steps

Post by mrpibb »

Does anybody have steps on there main gear? I see some Cessna ads of the period that show steps, but havent seen any in real life. Were they an option? or just poetic license. Can they be installed? Does anyone know of someone who installed one such as 337 or stc. Ever step on a wet tire and gear to check your fuel caps? ( To lazy to get the ladder )
Vic
N2609V
48 Ragwing
A Lanber 2097 12 gauge O/U Sporting
A happy go lucky Ruger Red label 20 ga
12N Aeroflex
Andover NJ
http://www.sandhillaviation.com

" Air is free untill you have to move it" BB.
N170BP

Post by N170BP »

Cessna sold a "Step Kit" which may or may not be
still available. You see them on eBay now and then.

Don't recall there being anything bolted to the gear
though.... The kit comprised of a hand-hold you attach
to the upper boot cowl, a step attached to the lower
boot cowl, and a step attached to the wing strut.

Bela P. Havasreti
'54 C-170B N170BP
zero.one.victor

Post by zero.one.victor »

I have seen some gear-leg steps on 170 or 180 gear legs that were sort of a clamp-on arrangement. I'm pretty sure they were bootlegged (no paperwork). They didn't seem high enough to be of much use in fueling,at least for a shorty like me,they might be helpful when you're cleaning the windshield or something.
I step up on the tire with my outboard foot,then put the inboard foot on the strut right at the fuselage junction & swing on up to check the fuel. Gotta have something to hang onto to keep your balance,I open the window & hang on the forward edge of the window opening.
It's a little too awkward for fueling,but it's OK for dipping the tanks. It's OK to put your outboard foot out on the middle of the strut to keep your balance,just don't put any weight on it.

Eric
zero.one.victor

Post by zero.one.victor »

On the 170 Assn list of 337's copies available,there is one listed for "boot cowl steps,L&R" and one for "boot cowl hand holds,L&R".

Eric
N3474C

Post by N3474C »

I have steps on my main gear legs. One step pretty much consists of two pieces of steel with four holes drilled in each for the bolts, one piece which is bent 120 degrees or so to provide the step, and one for the backing plate.

Makes for an easy 3 steps up for fueling. Tire, gear-step, then the strut step.

I have pictures if you are interested. palmchris@hotmail.com

Chris