Wag-Aero baffle kit for Continental O-300

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Matthew_bailey

Wag-Aero baffle kit for Continental O-300

Post by Matthew_bailey »

I am considering purchasing the baffle kit $339.45 from Wag-Aero. It says it can be adapted to 170 and 172 styles. Has anyone here had any experience with this kit good or bad? I am interested in understanding the differences between this one and the original. I would be using it on a 57 172.

MB
johneeb

Post by johneeb »

Matt,
About 4 years ago after overhaul of of my C-145 engine I replaced as necessary some of my baffleing with parts from a kit I bought from Wag-Aero. At the time I put the parts on I did not like the way they were made, the radii are all to tight. My fear proved to be well founded as one of the radii broke allowing the rear most panel to fold back and as a result overtemp and ceize the rings in the last cylinder on the left bank. The damage was not serious as the engine anylizer CHT for this cylinder warned me that something was amiss. To solve the problem I found a fabrication shop that worked with me and using the original baffleing as patterns we remade the necessay parts using a brake with a radius on its foot that gave us the proper radius.
Johneb
Joe Moilanen

Post by Joe Moilanen »

Hi Matthew,

I replaced all my baffling with the Wag-aero kit last year in my '53. I had to do a little final fitting and I went ahead and put doublers in all of the places that usually end up breaking such as the tabs that go under the valve cover screws and any other place where it attaches. I also put doubling on the back piece where the cylinder fins always wear through. No problems so far. My plane used to live on an 800' strip in Cornelius...do you know Phil Duyck?

Joe Moilanen
4518C
Matthew_bailey

Post by Matthew_bailey »

Thanks guys for the replys.

John, thanks for noting the failure issues. It sounds like I should consider what I use from this kit very carefully.

>My plane used to live on an 800' strip in Cornelius...do you know Phil Duyck?

Joe, I know of a Phil Dyke? an A&P works for Dick Vangrunsven. Did you fly from his strip? I have a place on Sunset airstrip, your welecome to stop in any time and talk old Cessna's. You might know a few of the guys over here. I have been doing a complete restoration on a 57 172 for a while. Just painted the flaps and the rudder Sunday. Turned out well.

Matt
Joe Moilanen

Post by Joe Moilanen »

That's the guy Matthew, Phil owned my plane about 20 years ago. I've never flown out of his strip myself but I've been into Sunset once to pick up a tail feathers kit for an RV6 once. I'll have to stop by next time I go down to the Flying "M" or get down your way. Tell Phil hi. You can check out my baffling.

Joe
4518C