Cessna 171

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

indymoor

Cessna 171

Post by indymoor »

Have a friend and future member looking at a 52 170B that was converted to a tri-cycle landing gear and called a C 171.
The mode was done by Meto-Co-Aire in 1955 STC STCSA4-28.
8O (That would be a intresting picture if anyone has one.)
The aircraft was put back on its tail 35 years ago. (Where it belongs!)
The inspecting A&P sent us this note.

I found where
Meto-Co-Aire installed a tri-cycle landing gear per
STCSA4-28 on3/7/1955. However, I need to find out
when it was
removed. I will let you know when I complete analysis
of the 73 pages of data.
once
an STC is applied to an Aircraft (major repair) adding
the tri-cycle gear there must be a Form 337 showing
removal. The records I received from AOPA shows the
installation but no removal. Therefore according to
GOD FAA the plane is not legal to fly until the Form
337 is processed and approved. You may want to advise
the owner of such.
What do we need to look for in the Logs?
Any input would be helpful.
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

You would look for the nose gear being removed and the main gear returned to it's normal configuration along with the addition of a tail wheel. This should have triggered a weight and balance change.

It's not necessary to know when the change was made only that it was done and the aircraft conforms to the type certificate. Any IA that confirms that the aircraft meets the type certificate would then file the 337 saying the conversion was removed by persons unknown. The basis of approval is the TSDS sos the IA would approve the aircraft for service. The weight and balance records are probably messed up and the best fix is to reweigh the aircraft.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
indymoor

Cessna 171

Post by indymoor »

What happened to the picture? It was on this theard two hours ago and now its gone. Who ever sent the picture could you send it again and tell us the story on the aircraft and where the picture was taken.

Thanks,
Rick
doug8082a

Post by doug8082a »

I yanked it because I was getting flamed by a few people for posting a picture that was "too big". :evil: :roll: Since you're requesting it, I'm posting it in a scaled down form. I hope this appeases the masses. :roll:

The photo is from a general "Pilot Report" type magazine article on the 170B from the mid-sixties. I'm sorry I can't give much more detail than that since the article was removed from the magazine so I couldn't even tell you *what* magazine it was. I actually started a thread on this last year sometime. Use the search utility and enter "tricycle". That should lead you to a thread called "Tricycle C170". During that time, I was contacted by the current owner and he reported that N9202A has been returned to conventional gear.

I have the entire article scanned. If you'd like, I can email it to you along with the LARGE pic of the tricycle 170.

Here's the original pic:

and here's a pic of N9202A as she is today:

Image[/img]
Last edited by doug8082a on Tue Oct 30, 2007 1:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Doug
N1478D

Post by N1478D »

WOW, she sure looked odd with her round tail up in the air!
Joe
51 C170A
Grand Prairie, TX
indymoor

Cessna 171

Post by indymoor »

Doug,

Thanks for the reply. 90202A sure looks pretty today. Was down at Sun & Fun on Tuesday and Wedsday thought I saw it there. Was great meeting some of you folks down there,and looking over your beautiful aircraft. I hope to bring 5711C down next year.

Rick
Bruce Fenstermacher

Hey Doug. Didn't mean to flame you about the size of the picture. Just wanted to point out that the photo was rather large especially if you have a small monitor and or a slow computer connection. It used to fill my 19' monitor. The new size is very nice. Thanks for reposting them.

doug8082a

Post by doug8082a »

Bruce,

That wasn't specifically directed at you - I got flamed by a few people for that first posting. No hard feelings. I was just surprised (and a little annoyed :evil: ) that I got flamed by people I'd never heard from over a picture :? Anyway, glad you like the pics. The "new" one of N9202A is from Susan's C170 gallery.
Last edited by doug8082a on Thu Apr 22, 2004 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Doug
Robert Bishop

337 form

Post by Robert Bishop »

Hi there I'm the owner of N9202a and I'm trying to figure out what aircraft the 337 form was not filled out on? I have the copy of the 337 form for N9202a in the log book and the change was done on or about 1985. Please be more specific on which aircraft you are talking about thats not legal to fly? I also had it field approved by the (G-man FAA GODS)
God speed& smooth air
Bruce Fenstermacher

Robert it was not your aircraft but another unless you are selling your aircraft and indymoors friend happens to be considering it. You aircraft only came up cause Doug had a picture of it with the nose wheel conversion.

indymoor

Cessna 171

Post by indymoor »

Robert,
Sorry for the confusion. It's not your aircraft. We just wanted to know what this conversion looked like and also what to look for in the logs.
That picture of your aircraft is very impressive today, sur looks better on it's tail. Hope to meet up with someday.

Thanks,
Rick
N5711C