Jump seat installation

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

GAHorn

Jump seat installation

Post by GAHorn »

OK everybody... Here’s a question asked of me in a PM and frankly, I’m not that familiar with the seat types. What say all you guys/gals?

“ I have 2 cessna jumpseats (the kind that screw into the side wall and the backbrace is removable for loading etc.) I have paperwork to install 1 (behind the pilot) My mechanic does not want to install the 2nd one (behind the copilot) without paperwork. Is there paperwork to show how to do this ?”
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
n2582d

Re: Jump seat installation

Post by n2582d »

F. Atlee Dodge's STC allows for the installation of either the left, right, or both folding jumpseats.
Screen Shot 2020-11-22 at 3.57.00 PM.png
LakeVue Aeronautics has the STC for the former BAS / Blancher Model 101 folding seat. If this is the seat in question I'd write or call Denny at LakeVue Aeronautics to see if a seperate STC is required for each seat. The wording refers to "a" seat but I'd be surprised if separate paperwork is supplied for each seat when one orders two seats.

The third aftermarket rear seat is this one from Airframe Innovations. They looks similar to the optional factory C-180/185 seats.
Last edited by n2582d on Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gary
hilltop170

Post by hilltop170 »

GAHorn wrote:OK everybody... Here’s a question asked of me in a PM and frankly, I’m not that familiar with the seat types. What say all you guys/gals?

“ I have 2 cessna jumpseats (the kind that screw into the side wall and the backbrace is removable for loading etc.) I have paperwork to install 1 (behind the pilot) My mechanic does not want to install the 2nd one (behind the copilot) without paperwork. Is there paperwork to show how to do this ?”
There is no paperwork that I know of for the installation of those seats in a C170. The easiest thing would be to duplicate the approval for the first seat. They are different than the Atlee Dodge, BAS, or any other after-market rear seats.

If they are what they sound like, they are original equipment utility seats in C180/185s that basically just sit on the floor and attach to the outside with the bolts mentioned. Since no structure would be modified it seems to me it would be a minor alteration unless you need a Field Approval to add a nut plate to the doorpost, the other anchor is already there from the original bench seat. So if the proper attach hardware is fitted to the plane, couldn’t it be a logbook entry w/wt&bal updated stating replaced original rear seat with Cessna p/n xxxxxxx, etc per C185 installation?

The other issue is seat belt attachment. Seat belts for those C185 seats attach to seat belt brackets riveted to the side walls and a common center anchor where the old seat, rear-center, attached to the floor. Again, duplicating the C185 seat belt installation would be the easiest thing to do since all parts are already designed, engineered, and approved for that installation.
Last edited by hilltop170 on Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:37 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Richard Pulley
2014-2016 TIC170A Past President
1951 170A, N1715D, s/n 20158, O-300D
Owned from 1973 to 1984.
Bought again in 2006 after 22 years.
It's not for sale!
n2582d

Post by n2582d »

Thanks Richard, I clearly didn’t read George’s question closely enough. Like George, "I’m not that familiar with the seat types." I looked through the various Accessory Kits for the C-180/185 but only found kits for the bench style seats. Here's a couple of screen shots from the '74-'85 C-180/185 IPC.
Fig. 54 C-180/185 IPC, Click to Enlarge
Fig. 54 C-180/185 IPC, Click to Enlarge
Click to Enlarge
Click to Enlarge
5C9D2728-F400-4D85-B785-6391B304E4F2.jpeg
There are several threads on BCP regarding these seats. This entry may be the most helpful.
Gary
bat443

Post by bat443 »

Since the seats you have are duplicated as PMA replacements by Airframe Innovations if it were me I would just contact them and see if they would sell you their STC only. Easiest route to a legal installation. They also handle the seat belt installation issue.

Tim
mit

Post by mit »

I installed them with a field approval back in the 90's before field approvals got complicated.
Tim
n2582d

Post by n2582d »

bat443 wrote:Since the seats you have are duplicated as PMA replacements by Airframe Innovations if it were me I would just contact them and see if they would sell you their STC only. Easiest route to a legal installation. They also handle the seat belt installation issue.

Tim
Their PMA PQ4180CE for their seats is linked to their STC SA02523AK. According to the PMA this STC apparently allows for the installation of these seats in the C-170. What's weird is that I can't find that STC listed in the FAA database even though the PMA was issued over a year ago. Edit: I contacted them and they said the problem is with the FAA. Here’s the AML for this STC:
SA02523AK (ST02011AK-A) AML Rev 1 - 9-2-22 (1).pdf
(748.36 KiB) Downloaded 36 times
The right seat is a mirror image of the left seat. If I were to try and get this additional seat approved I'd go to the FSDO and request a field approval as Richard suggested. Rather pricey but Airframe Innovations sells the sidewall seatbelt attach bracket here.
Screen Shot 2020-11-24 at 3.00.56 PM.png
It would be cheaper to duplicate a mirror image of the one on the left side. The field approval for the old seat may not have Instructions for Continued Airworthiness (ICA's) -- they weren't required years ago. Those would be easy enough to write up or copy from Airframe Innovations (assuming their STC exists).
Last edited by n2582d on Wed Mar 08, 2023 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gary
dstates

Post by dstates »

Lakevue’s website talks about having seat belt brackets available. Here is the link and text.

“Seat belt attach option kit: $250. This includes 4 attach brackets that rivet between the skin and bulkhead (same as late model 180-185). Included in the STC approval. Call me for details.”

&

“Notes: **Early model aircraft had seat belts attached directly to the bench seat. In these applications, late model seat belt attach hardware may have to be installed. We can provide that hardware if needed. Later model aircraft require no changes.”

http://lakevueaeronautics.com/id2.html
N1235D - 1951 170A - SN: 20118