Exhaust pipes

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Sills Aviation Services

Exhaust pipes

Post by Sills Aviation Services »

I am annualing a 170B for a customer:

He want's the exhaust pipes to extend 3" longer thru the cowling:

Anyone have a source for longer pipes ?

Been there or done that ?
Joe Sills
Sills Aviation Services
Leander, Texas
lowNslow

Post by lowNslow »

Wag-Aero has extended exhaust pipes, but they are only extended 2". These are FAA/PMA for the 170 and cost $136.75 for the pair.

Wag Aero Cat. No. E-420-000

1-800-558-6868 or

http://www.store.wagaero.com
Karl
'53 170B N3158B SN:25400
ASW-20BL
N170CT

Exhaust Pipes

Post by N170CT »

For what it may be worth, I recently installed a pair of "Bartone" exhaust pipes on my 170B and am very pleased with the change. These pipes extend out through the cowling aft lower opening for engine cooling. I am currently plugging the old cowling exhaust pipe exit holes for aerodynamic improvements so I can attempt to keep up with some of the 170 hotrods frequently described in this forum. :wink:
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Before I installed extensions on the originals (assuming the intent is to keep exhaust stains off the cowl) I'd install either Bartone or Benham exhausts, which are very similar. They both exit at the lower cowl opening just forward of the firewall and allow you to close off the "fang" holes. The main difference is that the Bartones have a slight bend downward at their aft end and the Benhams are straight exhausts.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
lowNslow

Post by lowNslow »

Before going with the Bartones or the Benham, check with your friendly Fed - these exhaust will require field approvals and some area FAA types are not to keen to sign off on them.
Karl
'53 170B N3158B SN:25400
ASW-20BL
AR Dave

Post by AR Dave »

What about Ceramic Coating Aviation exhaust pipes?
This is the rage with snow mobiles!
Pipe's stay a lot cooler and life is a lot longer.
AR Dave

Post by AR Dave »

Hey Dave
Thats an interesting question!
Before I Ceramic Coat my new Bartone's, I'd like to know if anyone has any experience with this myself.
:)
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

I don't have any experience with the stuff Dave, ...but if the STC or the field approval for the Bartone's don't include it, you'd probably have to get additional approval.
Ceramic coatings are usually applied to protect adjacent items from heat, but the tailpipes on 170's are already downstream in the exit-area of the cowl. I don't think heat is a problem there.
I like to see the surface of my exhaust systems to inspect for cracks, but I admit that I'm not sure if the pipes/welds can crack without also cracking the coatings.
Just some thoughts.
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
echomike

Ceramic coatings on the Exhaust system

Post by echomike »

I have ceramic coated two exhaust systems. The first was on a Stinson 108-2 I owned for several years. Before doing it I checked with the local maintenance guy at the Houston FSDO. (sorry can't remember his name) and he said you couldn't do it without an STC or 337. He was adamant. After a fairly long conversation I asked him what was the difference between ceramic, Hi heat paint, chroming etc? Aren't they all "protective coatings?" After he thought about it for a while he said "go for it", The term (protective coating) will probably allay any "stickler types" you run into!
End result: much cooler exhaust pipes(and under cowl temps over all), no rusting (except where normal expansion and contraction caused slip joint rubbing etc), much better looking and to-date (I just called the Stinsons owner to check) no cracking after several annuals. I know this may start an " opinion firestorm" but I intend to also Ceramic coat any other exhaust systems I own when I get the chance. Helpfull comments?
Keep the dirty side down and Fly Safe Echomike
Last edited by echomike on Tue Apr 06, 2004 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dave Clark

Post by Dave Clark »

This sounds really good to me but, if it's that simple/legal why wouldn't all the muffler reman shops be doing it?
Dave
N92CP ("Clark's Plane")
1953 C-180
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Yeah, and did the Houston FSDO Inspector put his comments in writing? I'd sure be P. O.'d if I did it and got busted for it based on his off-the-cuff opinion.
AR Dave

Post by AR Dave »

Wow! I'm fixing to pull the exhaust system when I get home next week. All the gaskets, nuts, & bolts, are waiting at the house. Thnx George!
The Cabin heat exchanger will have to be welded again. Last time I wasn't there when it was pulled apart and repaired. This time I'm going to take care of it myself. Tired of that! :roll: Seems to me that the entire exhaust system would be more effiecient and last longer if ceramic coated.

With the Bartones and Benham pipes exiting out the lower cowling near fuel lines, I would think coated cooler pipes would be safer. And the FAA is about saftey, right?

Dave
'55B N4387B SN 26731
sanships

Post by sanships »

Does anyone have updated contact numbers for Bartone or Benham exhaust pipes? Thanks!
Alvin Sandoval RPVM Cebu, Philippines
1952 170b, RP-C399, SN. 25287
2001 Robinson R22BII
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Pat and Sybil Bartone are listed in the TIC170A membership directory (Conn.), and may also be reached via Velvet at headquarters@cessna170.org .
John D. Benham is listed in the Directory as well. (Texas)
AR Dave

Post by AR Dave »

George, I have their latest phone # and email address. I just talked to Ms Barton this week. Is it best not to post this info for the world to see?