Weight distribution

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

oklahotshot

Weight distribution

Post by oklahotshot »

Am installing MT three blade prop , 26 lbs lighter than existing Hartzell, IA is talking of adding weight up front ,,, im hoping we can remove weight from tail section, it does have auxiliary javelin tank under backseat, wondering what some of you more knowledgeable folks input would advise, project is suppose to happen next week
51 170A
Kelly
Metal Master

Re: Weight distribution

Post by Metal Master »

Most of these aircraft that have had a Lycoming O-360 or TCM IO-360 engine and constant speed prop installed have to much weight forward to begin with and removing 26 Lbs forward would be a benefit. And while having the Javelin Tank in the back would be a good thing depending on the fuel you have in it to help shift the loaded CG I find it hard to believe you have a problem. Just adding weight without knowing the Calculated or weighed empty weight CG is just not the right thing to do. I would recommend weighing the aircraft and mathematically calculating many different flying conditions and weights to see where it puts you in the flight envelope. Bruce posted links on the 170 association web site which can be found in a search for a weight & balance Calculator, there are others on the internet. I have my own developed on an excel spread sheet that I can experimentally install different pilot weights fuel load and baggage loads to see where it puts me within the CG envelope. It also shows me the remaining useful load. Additionally I can imagineer loading changes of proposed installed equipment such as props , landing gear tires and wheels etc. The pictorial CG graph on it shows me where on the loading graph the new calculated CG lies. However using any of these Load Graph tools depends on having Good numbers to begin with. Here is a link to Bruces forms. Found using the search function.
http://cessna170.org/forums/viewtopic.p ... Calculator
Using these tools is cool because it allows you see what happens to the flying CG as you burn fuel for example out of the Javelin Tank.
A&P, IA, New owner C170A N1208D, Have rebuilt some 50 aircraft. So many airplanes, So little time!
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

What Jim said.

Do not do anything removing something until you spend time with good numbers and a spread sheet.

If you don't understand Excel or spread sheets ask me for help. I'd be happy, given your numbers, to plug them in and give you all the scenerios you need.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
bagarre

Post by bagarre »

If it hasn't been done recently, I'd put the airplane on a set of scales and calculate actual weight and balance before doing anything.
It's odd for an IO-360 with a constant speed prop to be tail heavy.
c170b53

Post by c170b53 »

Piling on :D
Maybe I missed it but which conversion do you have? Do you believe some weights have been added aft for the engine conversion? Was the battery moved off the firewall and into the aft fuselage? Do you believe your W&B to be correct? (Now I'm really piling on :D ) (The other Jim :D)
Jim McIntosh..
1953 C170B S/N 25656
02 K1200RS
oklahotshot

Post by oklahotshot »

Agree with everyone , we will use certified scales & have real numbers to see where CG limits are at before & after prop swap, it does have the 0 - 360 conversion, Masa STOL, heavily modified, etc ( thanks to Marvin Nichols tlc thru the years ) wanting to get rid of 100hr AD & rpm limitations with the Hartzell prop , thanks for the help, very informative bunch on here, have enjoyed soaking up all the knowledge & reading archives on the 170 topics. Kudos to a welcoming group of my peers
51 170A
Kelly
bagarre

Post by bagarre »

Would love to see a few photos of the ole bird when you get the chance.
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

When I installed my MT I was glad to take the 20 pounds off the nose of the airplane, which has a Lycoming O-360. It's still nose-heavy.
wingnut

Post by wingnut »

Does the MT Prop STC cover the 170 series airframe and the Lycoming engine?
Del Lehmann
Mena, Arkansas
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

What is the result of the preliminary calculation using your present weight and balance data? I would suggest a new weighing if the present data is old.
BL
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

wingnut wrote:Does the MT Prop STC cover the 170 series airframe and the Lycoming engine?
Yes, STC SA02245CH covers multiple airframes, including the 170, that are equipped with the IO- and O-360.
oklahotshot

Post by oklahotshot »

Thanks for ya'lls help , started this a m on prop change , will try to keep progress posted (not one of my strong points,ha) excited bout the MT , appreciate all Johns N. time & help, good folks to deal with !
51 170A
Kelly
bagarre

Post by bagarre »

Would be nice if MT made an option for the Continental IO-360 as well.
flyboy122

Post by flyboy122 »

oklahotshot wrote:Am installing MT three blade prop , 26 lbs lighter than existing Hartzell, IA is talking of adding weight up front ,,, im hoping we can remove weight from tail section, it does have auxiliary javelin tank under backseat, wondering what some of you more knowledgeable folks input would advise, project is suppose to happen next week
Dave, Right?

Think I met you at Oshkosh. If so I'd be amazed if you needed nose ballast with those big tires and stuff in the panel.

Dennis
oklahotshot

Post by oklahotshot »

No big tires yet or the Oskosh adventure but definitely in the cards, discovered today there was only three pounds difference in props and the ol bird seems alil heavy, am hesitant to say anymore till I have paperwork complete & in front of me, know this crowd will educate me :wink:
51 170A
Kelly