Turf Fields: A couple of Questions

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

N1277D

Turf Fields: A couple of Questions

Post by N1277D »

We decided to put in a turf runway and are curious about a couple of things. The turf runway will face W/E on an 80 acre partial, about 2,400 foot long at 3,300 msl. The strip will be used primaly by our C170 and Stinson.

Any comments or suggestions:

1. A type of grass that works well, - pehaps one where irrigation and mowing are minimal.

2. Has anyone had experience with solar powered runway marking lights ?
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Winter rye makes a good turf that does well in winter without much care.

I have solar powered runway lights on my runway. They are simply some garden walkway lights that I cut the excess "shield" from (which normally is intended to prevent glare in your eyes when walking a pathway. We actually want upward glare in a runway light.) My runway is in a dark-hole, as we are an isolated ranch strip.
The lights work very well, they have lasted over 3 years with only one or two requiring replacement, and they even do well in a couple of days in a row of cloudy wx. They do not last all night, typically running out of steam around 4 AM.
I wrapped a good quality white reflective tape around each stanchion supporting each light. This way, the lights steer me to line up with the runway, but when I turn my aircraft landing lights on they light up the reflective tape and the result is medium intensity runway lighting. This tape also allows early pre-dawn departures (with my landing lights on) when the solar lights have run out of steam.
I recommend that you go for the amber lighting. It is much more visible than the white lighting. I also suggest you go to Home Depot, etc. and purchase the bright-orange traffic cones. The small ones are fine. They prevent grass from growing up around your lights and blocking them out. They also make for brilliant day-time markers.
Your local garden supply or Home Depot will have 4' rebar pieces. Drive them into the ground about 1 foot and drop the traffic cone over the rebar leaving about 6" sticking above the traffic cone. Assemble the garden solar light on it's plastic pipe and drop it over the rebar, which will place the lower end of the pipe within the upper section of the cone. This will hold it all in place (even in a strong wind the cone will not blow over), yet allow about 6" of the light stanchion to stand above the cone top, for your reflective tape to present itself.
Don't forget that in the Northern hemisphere to let the solar panel face south.
doakes

Post by doakes »

Type of grass might depend on soil type.

Kentuck 31 -it is a broad blade grass, grows on almost any soil type and very hardy. plant thick. It will do best on areas that are subject to traffic.

I used Kentucky blue grass however, has less clumping in sparse growing areas and is fine bladed. I like it better, but in the white clay areas it does not grow well. It is more like my yard grass.

Best to you
Dave