Cross Wind Component of an 170B?

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Collin Gyenes

Cross Wind Component of an 170B?

Post by Collin Gyenes »

Hi,

I can't find this info in the handbook can someone help? Cross wind component of an 170B
'52 170 N2768D
Collin Gyenes
Oregon Rep
Dave Clark

Post by Dave Clark »

When you're slipping to keep it straight on short final and it won't quite do it that's the max. Been there done that.
Dave
N92CP ("Clark's Plane")
1953 C-180
mit

Post by mit »

I was thinking along the same lines as Dave. The crosswind component of the plane is much determinded by the pilots abilities, or rather knowing them.
Tim
Dave Clark

Post by Dave Clark »

Oh yeah I forgot to mention that when it's got you maxed and that doesn't work a 170 can land across the runway with that much headwind. :lol: Or on a cross taxiway. :wink:

Seriously though I chicken out early if it's a strong AND gusty component. Strong and steady is more doable.
Dave
N92CP ("Clark's Plane")
1953 C-180
CAS

C170 max xwind

Post by CAS »

The maximum crosswind component for my aircraft (a C170A) as listed in its Flight Manual issued by the Australian Department of Civil Aviation is 15 Knots (approx 17 mph), however, I agree with previous responses that suggest the limiting factor is not the aircraft but the pilot; but when you run out of rudder directional control becomes a major problem.

The landing technique used also affects the amount of xwind that can be handled :!: [I have not pushed 15 knot limit in the C170 but I have landed a C180 in a xwind in excess of 25 knots.]

In a strong xwind I prefer to wheel it on at a faster than normal touchdown speed; I believe this slightly reduces the xwind component and gives better controllability (always assuming you have enough runway length) - the tricky bit is getting the tail down safely :roll:

My 2 cents worth.

David.
N170BP

Post by N170BP »

The 180 is easier to land in gusty crosswind conditions
than the 170 (the 180's heavier weight keeps it from
floating all over the place like a 170, which is a kite
in comparison). My max in the 170 is in the neighborhood
of 20+ kts with the wind sock flailing all over the place
(great fun....). Anyone else ever been to Manzanita
(Nehalem Bay)? More great fun.... 8O

I tried to land at Auburn (S50) one day and it wasn't gusty,
just blowing so hard across the runway that there wasn't
enough control authority to keep the darned thing pointed
down the center of the runway. I could have easily landed
across the runway and rolled up to a stop by the fuel farm.

Bela P. Havasreti
'54 C-170B N170BP
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

As much as I prefer the looks of rounded tail feathers, the sad fact is that they aren't as effecive as that big, square tail on a 180 (or even a 172TD. Cessna went to square tailfeathers for more than manufacturing expediencies and mere looks.) The crosswind component is usually listed as a limitation of most airplanes, depending upon whether or not the test pilot was able to actually locate a crosswind greater than he and/or the airplane could handle. Many times you'll actually see an airplane with a maximum "demonstrated" crosswind, which is not a limitation of course, ...merely an advisory.
I tell folks that anytime you can't keep the airplane longitudinally aligned with the runway with full rudder and no bank while you're out there on final,...then it's time to find a different runway. Of course, increasing the final approach speed will improve your diretional control in a strong crosswind, but such speeds are too fast to make a touch-down ...unless you wheel land the airplane.... This is the most convincing argument for being proficient in wheel landings, in my opinion. Getting the tail down before one runs out of aileron/rudder travel on the rollout is important. Heavy braking will reduce the time spent exposed to ground-looping gusts, and the airplane's weight on it's mains during a wheel landing further contributes to braking efficiency and the successful crosswind wheel-landing.
Since this is a message thread about 170 B-models, I'll remind folks about the prohibition of slipping this airplane with full flaps. (Not that anyone would deliberately attempt a strong crosswind landing with full flaps, ...but ...just as a reminder.) :wink: The stronger the crosswind, the less flaps I use, resulting in more approach speed, and therefore the more rudder authority I have. Each facilitates and compliments the other.
Just this week I landed my airplane on a runway 33, with the winds blowing from 290 at 24, gusting to 35. I used plenty of flight-control movement, but the manuever was never in doubt. (According to my 1957 Kane Dead Reckoning Computer, Model MK-6B, this was equivilent to a 16-24 kt direct crosswind component.) I used no flaps and a wheel landing with heavy braking as soon as the mains were solidly on the ground.
dacker

Post by dacker »

Last year I foolishly underestimated the winds at my airport in Brenham 11R, I had relied on the old atis at CLL as I drove by on the way to Brenham and thought winds were only about 16 at about 280. They were actually 26 gusting about 35. At Brenham there is a small rise with oaks on top parallelling the west side of the runway. When I took off 34 and got to the level of the trees where I got the full force of the tubulence created by that litttle ole ridge it was as if someone had thrown me into a washing machine. Long story short I tried two fast approaches but couldn't get the airplane stable enough to even think about a wheelie, or even a three point. It was like some giant hand was throwing me down to the runway and trying to roll me over at the same time. Needless to say I tucked tail and scrambled to College Station where I would have a choice of runways. Of course when I got there the cross runways were closed with construction equipment on them so I had to take the same runway as Brenham. I managed to fly a stable approach in the absence of that turbulence and made an uneventful landing. I basically flew the airplane all the way to the tiedowns and made the line boy tie my wings before I got out for fear of an errant gust flipping me over.
I felt very lucky to have an airplane in one piece, and certainly don't feel as cocky about crosswinds any more!
I thought this only happened in the mountains. :wink:
David
rudymantel

Post by rudymantel »

George is right about making wheel landings and using less flaps in a crosswind. I almost always make wheel landings anyway. I use full flaps when the wind is moderate and not much crosswind, otherwise 30 deg or none.
10 or 20 deg flaps mainly increases lift not drag and you don't need that when landing. IMHO,
Rudy
Dave Clark

Post by Dave Clark »

Well put George!

Bela

I had the same Easterly at Auburn a lot of years ago while flying my Lake Amphibian. Landing to the South, left wing low and full rudder I was making it until my airspeed slowed near touchdown to the point I started to drift off the runway. Full power go around and headed back to Renton (6-8 miles?) where the winds and Lake Washington were calm. :o Very strange to have that wind there as I've got tons of hours in that area having lived in Renton and South Prarie for 30 plus years. I learned to fly at Auburn and our business was on 15th just two blocks North of the airport. Had a field there I would land in until it got so built up there that the cops thought it was a bad idea because they were getting too many calls of an airplane down. :lol:
Dave
N92CP ("Clark's Plane")
1953 C-180
N1478D

Post by N1478D »

Another point about crosswind limits in our 170's is that most winds are changing. If you are unable to hold centerline alignment because the wind is too strong or gusty, in one or more tries, the wind could be different enough to have an easier time of it.
Joe
51 C170A
Grand Prairie, TX