iPad Mini's

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

170C

iPad Mini's

Post by 170C »

About 14 months ago I purchased an iPad Mini. I think it was a 2. It preformed flawlessly with FourFlight. I made a mistake last week while on a trip and lost the iPad! Now I need to tap into some of you members good knowledge regarding my iPad replacement.

I seem to recall that one of the best ways to get the correct iPad is to get one with sufficient memory (I do not watch movies, listen to music or play games on the unit). I think my lost one was 64 gb? I do not have another GPS. Also I made sure it had the GPS feature (don't recall what that is called) and at the time of purchase I was told that I should get wifi, but would not have to activate a new/separate phone line. I would appreciate your input regarding what parameters I should use when purchasing a new or remfg'd iPad mini (either a 2 or 3)
Thanks, Frank
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
Bruce Fenstermacher

Re: iPad Mini's

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

You want to get a version that allows a data plan. You do not have to actually activate a data plan. This is the only model that Apple makes a internal GPS available for software such as ForeFlight.
As far as memory I would not buy less than 32 gig and would buy 64 gig if I could afford it. It does not matter what model version you buy except I'd buy the latest version available if I could afford it because it will be longer till it is obsolete. Color does not matter. It is that simple.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
n2582d

Post by n2582d »

Gary
jmurtap

Post by jmurtap »

You can save $$ on a wifi version and add open source adsb with gps, and receive your position through the wifi connection, or find your old one!! I might cry a little if I lost mine.... 128gb cellular
Jason P
53 170
SN 25878

Avee8or

Post by Avee8or »

The iPads with cellular radios have built in GPS...which in my experience are good enough for vfr use. If you get one without the built in gps, you will need an external gps or adsb receiver but will get a more accurate position and other benefits with adsb.

I have a 32 gb mini that I use with Garmin pilot--it holds all of the charts (VFR/IFR) that I could possibly want. It handled VFR & IFR charts for entire east coast maine to Fl with ease. The mini is wi fi only as it connects to the bluetooth link to the garmin adsb in the plane so I did not find it necessary to spend the extra $100 for the version with GPS. I also have a full size iPad air with built in GPS...but prefer the mini for most uses. The GPS in the iPad is nice for when I am not using it in the plane or when I am in a different plane without the wifi link to the aircraft radios.

I have also tried Garmin Pilot on my iPhone...my advice, get the mini! iPhone just too small.
Varel Freeman

170B N3211A
195 N195GW
PA31 N508Y
daedaluscan

Post by daedaluscan »

Anybody using an iphone 6 plus? I think this might be big enough?
Charlie

1956 170B C-GDRG #27019
robw56

Post by robw56 »

daedaluscan wrote:Anybody using an iphone 6 plus? I think this might be big enough?
I'm using both an IPad Mini and an IPhone 6+ with a Stratus 2S and love the combo!

https://www.backcountrypilot.org/images ... 46e54d.jpg
ghostflyer

Post by ghostflyer »

Firstly did you actuate the feature in the iPad 'find my iPad'. I used a IPAD2 for years [64g] but found running out of storage all the time and the battery was getting tired . Then I purchased the new iPad PRO [big screen] with 128 g. It's got the SIM card also. So far it does every thing that I require and will do for a number of years . But the extra cost was well worth it . I use it for work and play . Maps on it are a dream come true as you can put picture on picture [weather info being updated all the time ] and other Nav AIDS .
Kyle Wolfe

Post by Kyle Wolfe »

robw56 wrote:
daedaluscan wrote:Anybody using an iphone 6 plus? I think this might be big enough?
I'm using both an IPad Mini and an IPhone 6+ with a Stratus 2S and love the combo!

https://www.backcountrypilot.org/images ... 46e54d.jpg
What did you use for the iPhone mount? Velcro?

Doesn't look like you used the belt cradle for the phone.
Kyle
54 B N1932C
57 BMW Isetta
Best original 170B - Dearborn, MI 2005
170C

Post by 170C »

I appreciate all the in suggestions. I have a iPhone 6 with FF and it works pretty well, but is just too small to use day to day. The mini was fantastic. I am not sure if I had the locate feature activated on the iPad. I attempted to lock the mini but not sure if I was successful. Guess what I am looking for is the specifics I need to be getting on a iPad mini 3 with 64 GB. I do want the internal gps and I'll likely get a refurbished one as they have the same 1 yr warranty as a new one.
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

So Frank, you want a IPad Mini 3, 64gb Wi-Fi + Cellular. As for which cellular providor you want to pick the one you would likely want to buy a plan from should you decide you want a plan. I'd suggest it be the same providor as your IPhone.

Personally I'd buy the IPad Mini 4, 64gb Wi-Fi + Cellular because as I said, I'd buy the newest model.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
170C

Post by 170C »

Thanks again Bruce for your help. I had such a plan with my now lost iPad, but didn't activate it as you suggested. I suppose the only real disadvantage is one can't access the net while airborne, but that hasn't proved to be an issue for me. The Four is, no doubt, the most recent model. It is quite a bit more pricey than the 3, but as you pointed out it will be supported longer than the older models. One minor issue with the 4 is it is about 1/8 inch longer than the older models and as such won't fit into some of the RAM holders and other things like keyboards that the others fit into. Now I have to make a decision :?
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
edbooth

Post by edbooth »

Frank, I've got an iPad mini 64gb with wi-fi and cellular that I've used for the last couple years. My service is with Verizon and I'm very satisfied with it. I also have a iPhone six with Foreflight that works well also. For me, it depends on what kind of sunglasses I wear as to the visibility of the screens in the cockpit. The polarized ones don't work so well.
Ed Booth, 170-B and RV-7 Driver
hilltop170

Post by hilltop170 »

Frank, you can use your iPhone internet service, if you have it, as a wifi source for your iPad, you do not need a separate service account for your iPad. You can activate the "hotspot" and "bluetooth" functions on your iPhone and and the "bluetooth" on the iPad. Then connect to the iPhone. When they are close, up to 30 feet or so, your iPhone becomes the wifi to your iPad.

I have used this feature for over a year now and it works great. I cancelled my iPad service once I found out that would work. Neither the Apple Store nor ATT told me I could do it, I had to find it out on my own.

I like the full size iPad in the airplane using Foreflight, especially when looking at approach plates. I don't mount it either as I have other mounted GPS for navigating. I have the iPad Air and I always buy the most storage available which is 128gig on this one if I remember correctly. If you have a lot of picture and use iCloud storage, it is not as much of an issue.
Richard Pulley
2014-2016 TIC170A Past President
1951 170A, N1715D, s/n 20158, O-300D
Owned from 1973 to 1984.
Bought again in 2006 after 22 years.
It's not for sale!
jrenwick

Post by jrenwick »

It's not a 170, but I have this setup in my Swift. Despite the reflection of hangar ceiling lights in the photo, I never get any glare or visibility problems on the screen in flight. I'm using it with a Stratus ADS-B receiver.
IMG_2518.JPG
IMG_2516.JPG
John Renwick
Minneapolis, MN
Former owner, '55 C-170B, N4401B
'42 J-3 Cub, N62088
'50 Swift GC-1B, N2431B, Oshkosh 2009 Outstanding Swift Award, 2016 Best Continuously Maintained Swift