Engine Mounted Oil Filter Adapter

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Lebbon

Engine Mounted Oil Filter Adapter

Post by Lebbon »

I have 1950 C170A with a C-145.
Thinking of having an oil filter adapter installed at annual to replace the oil screen.
Any pros / cons / recommendations on brand?
Thank you in advance
Lee
GAHorn

Re: Engine Mounted Oil Filter Adapter

Post by GAHorn »

I have the F M Enterprises adaptor and like it very much but that company may be having reorganization issues since it's owner died. I have a phone call in to them awaiting responst.
Otherwise you may be forced to use the Continental adaptor from Airwolf.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
daedaluscan

Post by daedaluscan »

If anyone is interested in the gasket set for the FM adaptor, I just received one from Aircraft Spruce, so they have them again.
Charlie

1956 170B C-GDRG #27019
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

daedaluscan wrote:If anyone is interested in the gasket set for the FM adaptor, I just received one from Aircraft Spruce, so they have them again.
It would be helpful to either provide a "link" and/or Spruce Part Nos .
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
daedaluscan

Post by daedaluscan »

I stand corrected, wish I'd bought two:)

I received it about ten days ago.
Charlie

1956 170B C-GDRG #27019
bagarre

Post by bagarre »

That's a shame as the filter is a good and useful part.
The gaskets are pretty simple tho. The one is copper and the other is a fiber gasket thats easily made.
But, I am glad that I bought a few extras when I ordered my last.
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

I wouldn't be a bit surprized if the F&M oil filter gaskets weren't available from another source, Very few manucacturers make their own gask=ets since gasket manufacturers make so many standard sizes, especially copper covered crush washer types.
BL
bagarre

Post by bagarre »

Mine was originally mounted with two copper gaskets and it was fine until I moved it while taking the filter off. After that it weeped oil.
juredd1

Post by juredd1 »

gahorn wrote:Otherwise you may be forced to use the Continental adaptor from Airwolf.
So does this mean the Continental adapter is not a recommended add on or just not as recommended as the F & M adapter?

Justin
My playground....
35°58’52.01” N 93°06’27.51” W
'54 170B White and Green with a hint of Red
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

juredd1 wrote:
gahorn wrote:Otherwise you may be forced to use the Continental adaptor from Airwolf.
So does this mean the Continental adapter is not a recommended add on or just not as recommended as the F & M adapter?

Justin
One of the beauties of the C145/O300 engine by design was it's lack of external oil lines. This was a deliberate design in order to avoid the problems of other engine mfr's engine failures when their external lines failed. Lycoming's external aluminum lines were notorious and flexible hoses had life limits which were often exceeded. External oil lines and fittings can fail and that is the major drawback of designs such as the Air Wolf.
But I'd rather have filtered oil than not and increase scrutiny during inspections.
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

I had a Cessna oil filter adapter that worked well for years. It screwed into the accessory case as does the F&M filter, but was a single piece and was held in place by a large jam nut. As such it only required one large copper crush gasket. It was not as prone to loosening when changing the element as is the F&M. I changed to the F&M in 2006 when I overhauled my engine, but for the life of me now I cannot remember why. :?
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

I had a Continental filter adapter on my 210. It was a troublesome POS that wouldn't stay torqued, and ended up costing me $800 to replace when a bunch of the threads were found to be broken. There's a recurring AD to check the torque but it didn't help.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

The TCM adaptor stressed the fine threads of the accy case and an AD note applied to it for re-torquing and another AD note regarding the By-pass valve and which filter should actually be utilized. (That second wasn't a big deal as long as you used the correct filter...but the early documentation wasn't clear and some mechanics got it wrong.)

I'd choose the Air Wolf over the TCM.
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

Aryana wrote:I had one of those too Miles, brand new in box. I sold it on eBay for $500 because it didn't include the 170 in the approved model list. I should have kept it and got a field approval which would have probably been pretty easy.
I installed mine as part of my overhaul in 1990. I'd have to go back and check the books to see for sure what the approval process was. My recollection that is was just a logbook entry as a "kit" from Cessna. I still have it...
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

I am presently in a "phone tag" relay with the FM Enterprises guy and hopefully we'll connect and have good news to share shortly on that product.