Original Compass Mounting

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Ryan Smith

Original Compass Mounting

Post by Ryan Smith »

Hi all,

Out of curiosity, I am curious about how magnetic compasses were mounted in the earlier airplanes (1952 and prior), assuming a full gyro/IFR panel was installed. Were the compasses on the top of the panel, were they located on the windshield retainer strip? My question primarily applies to the 1952 year model airplanes, if there are any differences between them and the 1948s and A models.

Doug Mowry talked about a compass cover during his rebuild, but I cannot for the life of me find a picture of his installed in his airplane. I have a couple of pictures of covers on other panels, but I'm interested in knowing how airplanes would have left at the factory, "optioned out" as it were; if that was even a possibility. I seem to recall a lot of airplanes were modified in Wichita at a different location to suit a customer's requests. I've got a couple of pictures of airplanes taken in the mid-1950s where the compass is located on top of the panel, but closer towards the windscreen, therefore the compass cover would not be applicable.

Also, I'd be interested to see a picture of a full gyro panel installation (original 1950s photo) for a piano key panel, if such a creature exists. Most of the Cessna publications I've seen seem to only depict a basic panel.

Last question- was there not a 1952 year model owner's manual? I've not seen one online, only the 1948, 1950, and 1953.
Attachments
panel_4.JPG
pg_797950816.jpg
mike roe

Re: Original Compass Mounting

Post by mike roe »

The compass cover you show is original for 52 with the gyro panels. Also a owners manual was made for 52 which is unique for that year. That's why it is hard to find. I have one I no longer need. If interested pm me.
Mike Roe