Flap linkage on 170A worn out.

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

airspeed

Flap linkage on 170A worn out.

Post by airspeed »

I'm in the middle of an annual on my 170A. The mechanic found a cracked flap control horn bracket. On further investigation he also found that all of the linkage parts were worn. Someone in the past had drilled out the 3/16" holes and replaced the 3/16" pivot bolts with 1/4" bolts. I don't know how long ago this was done as there is no mention of it in the logs. The holes in the control horns are egg shaped and dangerously close to the edge of the bracket. Long story short the mechanic thinks it's unsafe to fly. The further good news is Cessna no longer has the parts. So far we've not been able to find any in the after market.

I was surprised that I could not find any mention of this problem on the forums. My airplane only has 3334 hours on it and has not been abused. The linkage is pretty Micky Mouse in terms of bearing surfaces so I'm not surprised that it has worn. I would advise others to check theirs to be on the safe side.

Has anyone else out there been down this road?
hilltop170

Re: Flap linkage on 170A worn out.

Post by hilltop170 »

I can't picture in my mind what parts are involved but I have had welded-in bushings installed in several pivoting parts along the way. Those bushed pivots will probably never wear out again, ever. Atlee Dodge in Anchorage did most of the precision welding on my parts. Or, if the parts are absolutely worn out and not repairable, Atlee Dodge might be able to recreate them as owner produced parts under your direction. They made new rudder bell cranks for my C-180 years ago that are still working fine.
Last edited by hilltop170 on Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Richard Pulley
2014-2016 TIC170A Past President
1951 170A, N1715D, s/n 20158, O-300D
Owned from 1973 to 1984.
Bought again in 2006 after 22 years.
It's not for sale!
bigrenna

delete

Post by bigrenna »

delete
Last edited by bigrenna on Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
airspeed

Post by airspeed »

The linkage parts won't be that hard to make. I've contacted a structures rep at Cessna and he will try to get me copies of the production drawings. I can get the dimensions from the old parts, but the drawings should give specifics on the alloys used. I also need the dimensions of the bushing that the bellcrank pivots on. It controls the spacing of the bellcrank from the butt rib. The real bugger is the control horns riveted to the flaps. One is cracked and both are worn out. They are formed aluminum sheet and will be a pain to duplicate.
LBPilot82

Post by LBPilot82 »

Please keep us updated on what you come up with as my flap linkage is heading in the same direction.
Richard Dach
49' A Model N9007A
SN 18762
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

THIUWP.jpg
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

If you get your hands on actual Cessna production drawings, send copies to Bruce to put in the library.
jetguy

Post by jetguy »

George....never knew you had so many children. Good looking family though,I have to say... :lol:
Greg Anderson
'55 170B N4316B
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

jetguy wrote:George....never knew you had so many children. Good looking family though,I have to say... :lol:
Yep they came from the ANDERSON part of the family!

George Anderson Horn
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
airspeed

Post by airspeed »

I've not heard anything from Cessna yet regarding production drawings for the flap parts. Linkage or control horn. We are doing the rest of the work called out in the C100 SID that Cessna considers mandatory. Just got the wings back on and am installing new cables and pulleys. When all of that's done we will deal with the flap issue. At this point in time it looks like we will have to manufacture our own parts.

The control horn bracket is two aluminum stampings tack welded together. One could be made of steel quite simply, but the IA we are working with wants to form a new part from aluminum.

I'll update this thread and post pics when we actually get something done.