Heated pitot- useful ?

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

rudymantel

Heated pitot- useful ?

Post by rudymantel »

I had been considering installing a heated pitot. Is it useful since we make every effort to stay out of icing conditions ?
In December we usually fly up to northern Virginia to visit our daughter and last year I did briefly pick up a bit of ice. The pitot wasn't affected.
I'd like to hear from others on this subject-
Rudy
David Laseter

Post by David Laseter »

If your pitot tube freezes, just thaw it out the next time you land. In Alaska my supplies contained a pipe cleaner for swabbing out the pitot tube, preflight. If the ice is solid and a piece of wire won't pick it out, heat it up. A torch, single burner coleman preheater, or putting in a hangar overnight fixes problem. Be sure to swab out after sitting in hangar as thawed water might be sitting in tube and will refreeze when tube refreezes. I flew 1/2 way across Canada with my pitot tube freezing up, but this was in 0 deg f. temp or less and snow storms all the way, 3-4 hrs of flying in constant snow at a time. Can't imagine it being much of a problem down here in Arkansas or Virginia. Do I need to be enlightened about this? I was stunned to find some Tex pilots carry 58 pounds of survival gear, guess you never know when you'll go down n this wilderness. :lol: :lol: :lol:
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

I carry a different survival kit here in Texas than I do elsewhere. My Texas kit contains: sunscreen, Orange-plus handcleaner (to get the crude oil off), submachine gun, chocolate bars, nylons, condoms, Tequila, limes, and salt. :wink:
rudymantel

Post by rudymantel »

I've done the vast majority of my flying in the tropics and sub-tropics so pitot heat and de-icing was a non-issue. When I bought my DC-3 the first thing I did was to remove the heater muffs and de-ice boots, etc.
Now, flying my 170 from south Florida to Virginia in the winters presents a new challenge. First time I did this in the winter, two years ago, I neglected to change to a multi-grade oil. Couldn't get the engine started; oil was like molasses. No one at the FBO had suggested pre-heat.
Forgive my ignorance. Is a heated pitot a worthwhile mod if one stays out of icing conditions ? :?:
David Laseter

Post by David Laseter »

George, they have collapsable water bottles now that are far better to carry water in than condoms. And also headnets instead of nylons for mosquitos. Chocolate Bars?
Now someone of more knowledge please answer Rudy's question, that the heated pitot tube is not worth while in Virginia and don't get sidetract on the Multi-grade Oil vs 80w debate.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

David, I use the condom to cover the end of my "gun"....to keep the dirt out, you know. :wink:
russfarris

Post by russfarris »

Hi Rudy, as you might remember I installed a heated pitot on my 170 a few years ago on a 337.

The main reason I had this done was to have a pitot tube with a drain on my airplane. Flying through even moderate rain resulted in all kinds of goofy airspeed and static instrument readings, not the most comforting thing when IFR.

Installing a plastic sump bottle above the static port, as suggested by George helped some. Installing a modern design pitot with the drain on the bottom, solved the problem completely. Having heat was actually secondary to me.

If you don't have problems with your static system in the rain like I did, I think it would probably be a waste of money. I know you fly IFR quite a bit, and avoid icing conditions like the plague.

Last spring I picked up some light rime in the 170, whoah! The windshield iced over completely about 1/16 of an inch in about three minutes...I made like a Stuka dive bomber from 7,000 to 3,000 feet (the freezing level was about 5,000 - I would have never departed unless I had this escape route.) Like you I'm a Florida boy, and nearly all of my light plane experience is in Southern climes. Hope this helps, see ya - Russ Farris

P.S. You owned a DC-3, how cool is that!!! What operation did you you use it in?
All glory is fleeting...
flyguy

COOL DC3

Post by flyguy »

MAY BEE HEE WUZ A ONE RUNNIN ROUN LOOKIN FER SHINY A 170 TU RUN IN TOO!

ALSO THEM DC3S CAN OPERATE WITH THE DOOR OFF OK AND DOANT NEVER AX NO BODY WITH FAA ON THU PAYCHEK FER PERMIT SHUN TO DO EENY THING ROUN A AIRPLANE
wa4jr

Post by wa4jr »

Hey Rudy, I'm taking Russ' position on this heated pitot issue. Since getting into a hangar, I have not had so much of a problem, but with the airplane tied down outside, water always found its way in the pitot system...even with a cover on. The primary advantage to the heated pitot tube is indeed its ability to drain water overboard and keep the pitot line clear and dry. Heat is a limited benefit I believe, especially since there is no other ice protection provided on the plane. If the pitot does ice up...big deal, just use your ears and fly by sound and feel until you get out of the icing conditions your were not supposed to be in to begin with. And power is another issue...that heated pitot taking 10 amps from an already marginal electrical system in IFR flight. Do it for the drain, not the heat 8)
John, 2734C in Summit Point, WV
rudymantel

Post by rudymantel »

Russ and John, thanks for your good advice. I haven't had any problem with water and as you said John, the air speed indicator itself is not that critical. I think I'll pass on it for now.
I had my DC-3 when I was operating Trans-Jamaican Airlines. I founded that company (originally it was Jamaica Air Taxi ) in 1959 and operated it till 1980. We provided internal scheduled service to 6 destinations in Jamaica and charters all over. I was also the Cessna dealer from 1960 and operated 180's till 1965 when I got nose wheelers (reluctantly).
The airplanes, besides the DC-3 which I only got in 1979 - a year before I sold the company- were Britten Norman Islanders and Trislanders, an Aero Commander Shrike, Cessna 337's, 206's and 182's.
The company is now owned by Air Jamaica and is named Air Jamaica Express. They now operate Dash 8's and probably losing money like crazy. (Those little prop planes were always profitable)
Rudy