Tire Pressure

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

dj2790

Tire Pressure

Post by dj2790 »

Greetings, I just recently bought a 170B with 8.00 x 6 tires. I can't find any recommendation for tire pressure. It's not on the tire and the best I can find on the web is 23lbs. Does anybody have any experience with these tires? Any and all help will be greatly appreciated, Thanks.
pdb

Re: Tire Pressure

Post by pdb »

23 lbs/sq.in. should be fine. (Michelin and Desser both recommend it.) In a pinch on very soft surfaces, you may want to bleed the pressure down just a bit (perhaps to 20) to provide a bit more floatation. Too low though and you may twist the stems off if you brake hard.
Pete Brown
Anchorage, Alaska
N4563C 1953 170B
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2366/2527 ... 4e43_b.jpg
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

I use to run 25lbs or less. What I mean is when I filled them I put in twenty 25lbs and over time they'd leak down until I thought I should service them back up again. I do the same now with the 7:00 x 6s I'm running now.

25lbs in the mains, 35lbs in the tail wheel.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
tweiss

Post by tweiss »

A couple years ago I switched out my wheel pants and 6:00 by 6's for 8:00 by 6's to do some off road'n. My first landing on a slightly wash boarded out runway quickly made me aware that the tire pressure I was running on the 6:00's would not do for the 8:00's on rough runways.
An experienced trailblazer gave me some advise he had been given long ago, and that was use 10% of your airplane weight for tire pressure.
1700 lbs. airplane wt. = 17 psi. tire pressure.
Or some pilots will say, 10% of gross weight for tire pressure.
I first reduced my tires to 10% of gross weight with much improved results. After I got used to and more comfortable with the bigger tires, I would reduce to 10% of the current airplane weight and realized a couple years of much more comfy shock absorption.
I made a mark on the tire and wheel and kept a watch out for tire spin on the wheel. Never saw any.
Have fun.
Tom