Conversion to 180HP with constant speed prop

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

N4588C

Conversion to 180HP with constant speed prop

Post by N4588C »

I know this is a big subject with lots of opinions 8O but then, where else can a person go to learn.

We have a 1953 Cessna 170B, and love it. We do want to add a 180hp conversion and am looking for opinions on the best STC to use based on cost, ease of installation, performance and maintenance. There are lots of different STC's and engine models to choose from. We have time to research as we don't expect to change out the engine for about another year or with luck two.

Added considerations are;
we operate in Alaska off skiis, wheels and floats( I know some of the STC's are for wheels only)."
N4588C
Dave Clark

Post by Dave Clark »

Harry Deckler? DelAir? in CA was working on an STC that included a gross weight increase of 200lbs. so I would check that out. A friend in Payson uses a fixed pitch I have a constant speed. I can outperform him by a bunch. But for floats the long fixed pitch might be better. Either way you'll really love the 180hp. More fuel capacity is nice. I have the Javelin and like it ok but the 175 wings or other wing tanks would be better.
Dave
N92CP ("Clark's Plane")
1953 C-180