Greetings

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Alterfede

Post by Alterfede »

I dont know US rules, but here you have a flight level chart, dont remember it clearly now, i have one in my flight bag for this reason. that provides separation based on wich magnetic direction (sorry if i dont have the correct aviation word for) are you flying, sorry i cant explain more, i can´t figure out how to do it in english.
Fede Ranea
federanea@yahoo.com.ar
TIC170A #7450
Buenos Aires
LV-FEH 1950 C170A
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

We have the same thing here Alterfede but it starts at 3000 ft. The rule that wouldn't guarantee someone was coming at you at the wrong altitude or they could be converging on your position with both aircraft flying at the correct altitude.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
Alterfede

Post by Alterfede »

well i know that, i think that the chart work well if everybody flyes according to it, and i dont know how to deal with the convergency. Maybe is the risk at flying ifr at uncontrolled airspace.
Fede Ranea
federanea@yahoo.com.ar
TIC170A #7450
Buenos Aires
LV-FEH 1950 C170A
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Bruce asked, "How do you provide traffic seperation when you can't see anything?"

The rule says the pilot is responsible for his own traffic/terrain seperation. It doesn't guarantee that traffic seperation actually exitsts,...he's just the one responsible for it. (Translation: If you hit anyone else out there running around IFR without a clearance, it's you two's own dang fault!) But you legally collided.

As late as the mid-seventies, I flew for an airline that frequently operated charters into Mexico. The only place radar existed in Mexico at the time was Mexico city itself, and I'm not for sure when/if they had transponder/beacon code capability even then, as whenever we went there they never assigned us any code other than 1100 :!: and the only method of identifying our flight was either by our making reporting points or by making a heading change for identification.
At any rate, we'd land in Monterey or Reynosa, etc,. we'd clear Customs, pay the "mordita" to the airport commandante, tip the dispatcher with a $20 bill and a Playboy or Penthouse, and the only difference between our next flight was whether we checked the "Plan de Vuelvo" (Flight Plan) box as "IFR" or "VFR", and then we either flew an IFR altitude or a VFR altitude according to whichever box we had checked. In neither case did we talk to any ATC facility enroute after we left the airport traffic area, despite the fact we might be in solid IMC or not.
They operated exactly as uncontrolled airspace (as indeed it was) until we got to the Federal District down at the capitol.
Mel Brooks: "Traffic seperaaa-shun? We don't need no stinking traa-ffic seperaaa-shun!"
BOBBY

Post by BOBBY »

Boy, I look the other way for a couple of days and...what th'...who th'...where th'.

George wouldn't steer ya wrong on the uncontrolled airspace stuff. I just took off from a non tower airport in Kauai late last night IFR and IMC headed for SFO and had to click the mike 5 times for lights, make traffic advisories on CTAF, get a release into CONTROLLED airspace by HNL Center and make a right turn after takeoff to miss the old craggy hill.

We have plenty of those "holes" in controlled airspace out here around Wyoming, Montana and such. Flying prescribed IFR altitudes if wondering there IMC as well as use of blind broadcasts of position on air to air frequency helps. Rubbing the rabbit's foot on my keychain makes me feel better, too.

As well as having a vacuum pump.

Bobby
Remember Ovid
susang777

Post by susang777 »

Well, you can have both. We have a vacuum pump hooked into the same system as the venturi. They are backups for each other.
(Just call me the Peacemaker...)
-Susan
N3440D
55 170B
TIC170A Member