Micro VGs

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

bigrenna

Micro VGs

Post by bigrenna »

delete
Last edited by bigrenna on Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bigrenna

delete

Post by bigrenna »

delete
48RagwingPilot

Re: Micro VGs

Post by 48RagwingPilot »

Have fun! The first time I did it (C-180), it took a full day working alone. As you noted, the kit and instruction are complete and easy to follow.
W.J.Langholz

Post by W.J.Langholz »

Put them on my Super Champ about 5 weeks ago. The kit is fantastic and easy to use. Complete paperwork as well, they do it right.

I did it myself as well, under direct supervision of and A&P :D :wink: . I used some scaffolding on wheels which was a life savor. If I do another I will have someone help to put the glue on, .....1 little drop.....makes cleanup much better.
ImageMay there always be and Angel flying with you.
Loyalty above all else except honor.
1942 Stearman 450
1946 Super Champ 7AC
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

I have a friend, a retired Lockheed experimental engineer, that tried them and found that they didn't do much, if anything, for a Cessna wing on a C-180 or a
C-170B
The VGs on the under side of the horizontal stabilizer gave him better elevator control down to a lower speed.
When I asked him about installing them on my C-170B, he told me to get VERY Accurate air speed readings for all conditions before and after.
BL
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

BL, I loved mine on my 170 as well. We've discussed this many times before. It is not so much that they significantly lower the stall speed, though it is lower. It is the much more positive aileron control one has at stall speed allowing one the confidence to fly in that regime in perpetuity. That is the difference.

I installed my kit in about three hours** without help other than the log signature, after reading and rereading the instructions several times. The kit is one of the most complete and fool proof kits you will find.

**I didn't paint my VGs which would take much more time.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
W.J.Langholz

Post by W.J.Langholz »

a_003.jpg
BL
I remember reading your comments several years back so I was very reluctant to spend the money on VG's. Then as I was researching them again for the Champ, people commented
1) they don't work
2) I would claim they work because I spent the money
3) what the hell do you want to put them on a Champ .....they fly slow enough already.

So I went about this about as close to being scientific as possible. a A&P/pilot, and A&P/AI/CFI, and myself all flew the Champ and each stalled the Champ 3 separate times. For all 3 of us we could get it to Stall and break over at 38-40 mph.

After installation the most skeptical person of the 3 of us, (the A&P/AI/CFI) took it up and it will NOT stall. It will mush all the way to the ground. The A&P/pilot and myself found the same thing.

I installed them more as a safety feature than anything else. I can only tell you that I have been down to less than 30 mph at touch down (under control) however the mph is probably in-accurate due to the angle of attack.

Would I put them on again...YES. The 206 will get them this summer.

This info and 75 cents will get you a cup of coffee downtown at PQN..... :D

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

W.
ImageMay there always be and Angel flying with you.
Loyalty above all else except honor.
1942 Stearman 450
1946 Super Champ 7AC
170C

Post by 170C »

Wonder how the vg's would compare to the Horton STOL installation (excluding cost or weight)? What would happen if vg's were added to the Horton or similiar stol mod?

Plane might not ever stall :roll:
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
hilltop170

Post by hilltop170 »

PLEASE! Do some quantitative flight testing before and after they are installed! I have never talked to anyone who can say what they improved!

I don't know how many guys have put them on and claimed "oh boy, it sure flies better now". When I asked them specifically what is better they can't define better or even tell me what improved quantitatively.

Some useful, easy to obtain info like, stall speeds before and after, a simple power vs airspeed chart from min controllable to full throttle before and after, etc. I'm sure you can think of some other stuff like that. It is very useful for evaluating how well they perform. I have done that sort of flight data on every mod I have ever put on my 180 and it is nice to show guys who are thinking of doing the same thing. Inquiring minds want to know.

If I can get my hands on my old charts, I'll post them.

Thanks in advance!
Airspeed vs power
Airspeed vs power
180 performance chart O-470 vs O-520
180 performance chart O-470 vs O-520
First 10 hours after O-520 upgrade
First 10 hours after O-520 upgrade
Richard Pulley
2014-2016 TIC170A Past President
1951 170A, N1715D, s/n 20158, O-300D
Owned from 1973 to 1984.
Bought again in 2006 after 22 years.
It's not for sale!
bigrenna

delete

Post by bigrenna »

delete
54170b

Post by 54170b »

I am in the neighboring hanger to Micro Vg's, and they recommend installing the Sportsman stol kit along with their Vortex generators. Chuck says this is the best possible combination :lol:
54170b

Post by 54170b »

170C wrote:Wonder how the vg's would compare to the Horton STOL installation (excluding cost or weight)? What would happen if vg's were added to the Horton or similiar stol mod?

Plane might not ever stall :roll:
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Richard, Aryana and I have both said the same thing. We feel VGs improve the control available at stall. You can argue whether the stall is slower or not and while I know it is I won't. What I will tell you is I would feel perfectly comfortable flying my first 170 with VGs, all day long AT stall speed. Not 5 mph about stall, actual stall. I'm talking 30 degree banks 360 degrees, then flip the ailerons and reverse course. I'm talking so slow you have an 800 ft min decent rate with the nose up while doing the 360s.

Will they help you get off the ground faster. No. But when you pull the airplane off the ground nose high at 50 mph struggling to clear that 50 foot tree, you will have perfectly comfortable aileron control. It will not be mushy and feel like a wing is about to drop.

I'm surprised Richard with all your experience you haven't flown VGs and experienced them for yourself.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
bigrenna

delete

Post by bigrenna »

delete
Last edited by bigrenna on Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
bigrenna

delete

Post by bigrenna »

delete