Fuel Tank Placards

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

C170U2

Fuel Tank Placards

Post by C170U2 »

Another issue that came up during annual was the lack of placards on my fuel tanks. Are these required placards? My IA seems to thinks so. I don't have the mo-gas stc. I looked at the type certificate and didn't see them as required. If they are required, what do they need to say? Type and qty?

It's hard to believe that my plane could survive all these years without the fuel tanks placarded. :lol: Who knows what could have gone in those tanks.
GAHorn

Re: Fuel Tank Placards

Post by GAHorn »

CAR3/4 and it's replacement FAR 23/25 all require that certificated aircraft have placards describing the contents of any tank. The placard should provide the following information: Type, Quantity, Grade.... For example, FUEL-AVGAS, 21 U.S. Gals, 80 Octane.
The same goes for engine oil, hydraulic reservoirs (none on our aircraft), Oxygen tanks, etc.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
C170U2

Post by C170U2 »

Sorry for pulling the trigger on this post too soon.

Just found this thread: http://www.cessna170.org/forums/viewtop ... k+placards

I should stop second guessing my IA...
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

C170U2 wrote:I should stop second guessing my IA...
No you shouldn't stop guessing your IA. He knows it should have a placard, good for him to point it out. I'd bet a beer he doesn't know what is suppose to be included and how it is to be worded on that placard. (He might have been satisfied with a store bought placard that was not correct is my point.)
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

bluElder wouldn't like it.... (It doesn't include MOgas and MMO) :twisted:
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
bagarre

Post by bagarre »

Those are spiffy!
Do they still have it on file? I'd like to order two for myself.
C170U2

Post by C170U2 »

Wow, the work you did on your filler necks and tanks looks great. Placards are pretty spiffy too!

I happened to be up on the wing today polishing and discovered the remnants of the original placards by the filler necks. The picture is pretty crappy but you can kind of make out what it says.

80 OCTANE
21.5 GAL CAP

It is in the same type of military block lettering as the N-Number. I took measurements and am planning on making stencils and painting this placard back on as it originally was. I have no clue what the color would have been. I am thinking either black or red. From looking over the post from before I wont have all the requirements but if this is the way the airplane came I am pretty sure I can get away with it.
Attachments
DSC_0018.JPG
bagarre

Post by bagarre »

I have a local guy that might be able to make those for me as well.
The graphic makes it a LOT easier to tell him what I'm talking about tho.

On the placard topic, whats the dimensions of the Operating Limitations placard that's normally on the glove box?
C170U2

Post by C170U2 »

4.1/2 x 1. 6/8

Wouldn't it be nice if someone made an entire sheet of original placards for our planes. All the stuff I have found on line isn't really what I am looking for. If mine turn out ok maybe I will make up some extra sheets. No promises...
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

C170U2 wrote:4.1/2 x 1. 6/8

Wouldn't it be nice if someone made an entire sheet of original placards for our planes.
I started that project. It is much bigger than you think. First you have to find examples of all the decals that you believe to be 100 percent original. Then taking pictures and duplicating them. This is where I'm at for most of the '52 and prior placards. Now I have to print them all and find the originals again and compare to be sure they are correct and if not make changes. Very very time consuming.

As for your tank placards you can duplicate exactly what you have then ad a supplemental placard to cover what is not.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
bagarre

Post by bagarre »

Making faithful reproductions of the original placards is no easy task and I have a lot of respect for that level of effort.

But, my '52 isn't original enough to warrant such an endeavor. She looks like she's out of the 50's but not original.
A decent set of vinyl transfer placards to be legal but not look cheesy is all I really need.
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

Even though I no longer use mogas I still have the EAA STC placards for fuel type. For quantity, I used Dymo lables. Yes they look cheesy, but you have to either be fueling or inspecting the airplane to notice them, and they've survived about 25 annual inspections.
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
n2582d

Post by n2582d »

Cessna Single Engine Service Bulletin SEB92-27, in addition to vented fuel caps, calls for placard p/n 000001 "Avgas Placard - GAMA (80 100LL 100)". That placard is good for everything from the 140A through some 182's so it probably does not include fuel capacity. The placard costs around $4.00 from Cessna.
Gary
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

You can write the information by the gas filler neck with a Pilot Permanent Marker and it will meet the rule.
"Fuel/Avgas/80/87Min Octane 21 U.S. Gals" (Typical A or B model)

I suggest you PRINT it, as most kids that work the line these days don't know how to read longhand. :roll:
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

George, as you well know I have used and advocated mogas in the super hi tech Coninental C-145/O-300 engine for years. However, I have always maintained that MMO is not my thing and pretty much a waste of money. But even if it doesn't do anything for the engine, it probably wont hurt it if you don't dose it too heavilly.
BL