170 ragwing

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

wlasak

170 ragwing

Post by wlasak »

My son picked up a 1948 model and we are in the starting work on it and one of the things I don't like is the fuel caps. Is there a way to extend the filler necks so they don't get water in the tanks. I know that Atlee Dodge makes extended necks for 180's and 185's. What is the best way to go on this ? This is my first post on here and I am sure I'll have more.
3958v

Re: 170 ragwing

Post by 3958v »

You are right to be concerned about the fuel caps on the ragwing. There is a modification to put Monarch caps on and if you do a search on this site you should find quite a bit of in formation on that modification. In the mean time I suggest you find a way to cover your caps if your plane is sitting out in the rain as the drains in the tanks are not particularly good at removing all the water. If you suspect water in your fuel be VERY CAREFUL as it can put you down. I would suggest after you think it is all out you climb to altitude over the airport and do prolong slips in both directions within gliding distance of the airport. If your plane is like mine you will find most of your water in the gascolator not the wing drains. Bill K
Polished 48 170 Cat 22 JD 620 & Pug
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Take a look at THIS discussion on ragwing fuel filler cap modification: http://cessna170.org/forums/viewtopic.p ... uel#p41877
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
wlasak

Post by wlasak »

I flew this plane home a few days ago, It hadn't been flown in a some time, I was a little apprehensive due to the fact I didn't have any time in a C-170,but thousands of hours in a T-craft. I like the way it handled and it never missed a beat on the way home. Now we have to start an inspection from the top down and make some changes. The filler necks are at the top of the list, along with many other things, Thanks so far with the info.