Landings

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Alterfede

Post by Alterfede »

I did that of keeping one main wheel on the runway, it helped me a lot!!! I did it so many times that i liked to do that without x-winds, also i did landings on one wheel, sort of air circus i think, laff. Then i transitioned to 3 point, dont know why, but i do that now on every landings, well i suppose i have to fly more, to practice both. Saludos
Fede Ranea
federanea@yahoo.com.ar
TIC170A #7450
Buenos Aires
LV-FEH 1950 C170A
zero.one.victor

Post by zero.one.victor »

This has been posted several times before,but there's a pretty good article about wheel landings on the skywagon.org site. I tried to get onto that site a couple times lately & couldn't,don't know what's up with it. The article isn't necesarily the final word in wheel landing techniques,but it does have some pretty points.
I started out in my 170 as a 3-pointer,then became determined to learn wheelers-- I lernt 'em so good I can't hardly do a 3-point anymore! I usually wheel land on on pavement,and 3-point on non-pavement. I think whatever works for a person is the best way to do it.
I've got just over a thousand hours in my trusty ragwing & haven't gone into the ditch yet,so I must be doing something right (or at least not too wrong!) :wink:

Eric
rudymantel

Post by rudymantel »

Most airplanes can be landed either on 3-points or on the wheels. The 170 lends itself to either. I personally like wheelies.
But some airplanes definitely prefer one or the other; two examples that come to mind are the DC-3 which is so easy to wheel on and the Pitts S-1 which is much easier to 3-point because the landing gear is so far forward. FWIW-
Rudy