Appraiser needing help on a one-of-a-kind 170B

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

jetman

Appraiser needing help on a one-of-a-kind 170B

Post by jetman »

I am an aircraft appraiser & have been asked to appraise a one of a kind 170B (2500 TTAF/1000 s/new eng). It was basically remanufactured between 1990 & 1996 and has every option you can think of & then some, including a TSIO-360A engine, aux fuel, new King digital radios with flight dir., WX-500, KLN-94, on & on (about $70k worth). New paint and all leather seats, headliner & side panels with new carpet. I can send you detailed specs, but I'm stumped at the value. Can you give me any idea?
Dave Clark

Post by Dave Clark »

Jetman

The 170 Club "Flypaper" newsletter I just received lists two 170Ds with Lycoming 180 hp engines. Both sound nowhere near as nice as the airplane you describe and both are near $60k. I'll bet they sell for nearly the asking price.

My '52 I'm told is nearly a "10", has a 180 Lycoming with 1150 SMOH, newly installed with everything except the engine itself detailed to show quality in the engine compartment, the paint is real close to a 10 and was an excellent job, the interior is 9+ airtex, The panel is newly restored to show quality, King radios but not as fancy as the ones you describe, EI UBG 16 engine monitor, PMA 4000 intercom/audio panel, Javelin aux fuel, BAS harnesses and pull handle, Rosens, and more. I had no problem getting Avemco to insure it for $60k.

If I was looking for a 170 I would consider that one for $70k but as nice as it may be it would take just the right buyer because as you know $70k can buy a lot of other kinds of planes including a pretty nice early 180. I'd rather buy that plane for $70k than try to build one up and have more than that in it. Having owned more than 40 airplanes I know enough to buy the nicest one you can find, it's more economical in the long run.
Dave
N92CP ("Clark's Plane")
1953 C-180
jetman

Thanks Dave-

Post by jetman »

Thanks for your response, Dave. Yep, this is a real beauty alright, and it sounds like you have one too. Your comments are most appreciated. Happy Flying!
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

I've always wondered how aviation gets by without aircraft appraisers.
Values of most complex items, including aircraft and real estate, are highly influenced by pedigree (title), location, condition and history, not to mention references to similar item's recent actual sales. While "new" paint and upholstery might indicate (especially to the inexperienced) an item of great condition, in actuality it should be viewed suspiciously as an attempted cover-up of true condition until proven otherwise. (I can't tell you the number of airplanes I've witnessed with fantastic paint jobs. They were fantastic not only for their brightness of color and imagination of scheme, but also in their easy disguise of serious structural corrosion and hail damage. One beautifully painted airplane I witnessed had so much automotive "Bondo" illegally applied on it's elevators (to hide the hail damage) they could never have been, nor ever could be, properly balanced. It was a hazard to it's occupants and anyone beneath it while in flight, but it was a true beauty on the ground and was highly valued by a professional aircraft appraisal performed for the buyer in Seattle.)
Any competent aircraft appraisal would require not only a personal inspection for condition (of which we are not privileged via this forum) but also would require a view of the aircraft records for completeness and content. You did not mention anything about those crucial records and as the professional, you may or may not consider them a matter of importance, but in my poor opinion they are at the heart of the matter of value and no airplane value can be even hinted at without that knowlege. (Without logbooks and clear title, other than the radios, your airplane is worth slightly more than scrap, and it isn't worth even that without bills-of-sale regarding the radios.) What modifications, performed when, by whom, and how they were performed (and documented!) are much more important than the actual number of such mods. (A turbo-charged engine in a 170? Really. On what basis was that modification approved? And by whom?) Of course, with those documents in perfect order and complete, in excellent condition, we would be talking about a very valuable airplane. As a professional aircraft appraiser I assume you are paid for your opinon, and I'm glad for your customer you've found this group. It is made up of the the most knowlegeable owners in the world as regards Cessna 170's, and I'm sure that you will find help with any other "what's it worth" questions with which your appraisal customers might stump you.
As I did not find your name listed in our Association Directory, I assume you're not a member and therefore I apologize that we must remove your business listing of your name and telephone number as that would violate our advertising policy with regard to both commercial use and that of non-members.
jetman

Thanks Gahorn

Post by jetman »

Golly-Gee,

I sure am glad you set me straight gahorn. Here I've been the exec. dir. of probably the highest rated aircraft appraisal association in the WORLD, and one of the top 2 expert witnesses in the country on aircraft diminution of value disputes for the two largest aircraft insurance underwriters, yet it took your knowledge in my field to set me straight on what I needed to appraise an airplane.

You're good for a laugh!
flyguy

WHARS THU BEEF

Post by flyguy »

I NEW A EX- - WUNCE. SHE WUX A OLE PALS FORMER WIFE BUT I DOAN NO NO EX--SPURTS BOUT PLANES CEPT ONE AN HE SURE DOANT COTTON TU EENY ONE ELSE CLAIMIN THAT ELEVATED STATUS.

FELLER TOLE ME WUNCE THAT A EX-SPURT WAS A HAS BEEN AN A DRIP UNNER PRESSURE.

PEE ESS IFFN YOU PUT YER FONE NUMMER HEAR AGIN I ULL SEN IT TO SOME TELE MARKETER!!!
N1478D

Post by N1478D »

A DRIP UNDER PRESSURE! :lol: :lol:

You are going to have to add comedian on your resume Flyguy! Laughing too hard now to type.

How was the trip to the convention? Did you fly the float plane to the East Coast? Or, do you save that for the creeks here in Texas?
Joe
51 C170A
Grand Prairie, TX
jon s blocker

appraisal

Post by jon s blocker »

George'
Are you OTR or what? The man simply asked for some insight on the value of a plane, not to have someone do his job, or take jabs at him. This is a forum for asking questions and a guest certainly should be treated with respect. There are several who recognise you for your wealth of information and as a representative of this association, and as such I would hope you would treat guests with that in mind. If I am out of line with this response, spank me, but I don't think so. I think if someone trys to contact the association for help it should be given in a positive manner, so it reflects well on all of us. Thank you for your informative help in the past, and hopfully more of the same in the future. Jon S. Blocker
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Thank you, Jon. I appreciate your viewpoint, and I'm certain it's shared by many others, including myself. And I hope you'll find no instances where I've unfairly "jumped" a legitimate visitor to our happy site. I just don't feel apologetic to those who try to use our forum for their commercial gain.
This forum is indeed for the purpose of promoting good will amongst the aviation fraternity, including the stated purpose of TIC170A to promote the Cessna 170. All guests and members deserve respect and courtesy, as you correctly point out, and I'd certainly be remiss if I failed to act accordingly to a bona fide forum participant.
It is not, however, paid for by TIC170A members for the purpose of promoting any private commercial ventures. "jetman" created his message and promoted his business with a commercial signature (no longer visible due to my deletion) which violates the forum rules. I made mention of that fact to him, and he deliberately and purposefully violated the rule again. I again edited it (and jetman, if you are reading this, please do not do so again or it will be necessary to ban you from the site) which underscores my original belief that his intent was not in accordance with the forum purposes, but for his commercial gain. "jetman" is clearly not a Cessna 170 enthusiast, but a commercial operator who wants to profit here.
In his own words he is "the exec. dir. of probably the highest rated aircraft appraisal association in the WORLD, and one of the top 2 expert witnesses in the country on aircraft diminution of value disputes for the two largest aircraft insurance underwriters...", yet he is "stumped" by a what must be the most common question anyone desireous of such services would ask, specifically "What is it worth?" I maintain my belief that aircraft "appraisers" are a silly lot if indeed the executive director of the "highest rated" of them can't venture the value of a single-engine Cessna.
It reminds me of the little town here in central Texas where there are 4 Bar-B-Que joints. When you drive into town, the first joint's sign says "The WORLD's best BBQ!" Farther down the street another joint advertises, "Voted Texas' Best BBQ" (without mention of who comprised the electorate). A little farther down the street another joint's sign boldly says, "The Best BBQ in Town!" And still farther down the street is a small little place with simple wooden tables and chairs surrounded by the sweet aroma of smoking meat whose sign humbly says, "The best BBQ on this street."
"jetman's" personal comment to me was, "...it took your knowledge in my field to set me straight on what I needed to appraise an airplane..." Wow. I thought he said HE was one of the "top 2 expert (s)" for insurance underwriters. I have two comments on that: I'd hate to think he believed the other was me! And it's no wonder insurance costs us what it does.

He claims that aircraft valuation is - "his field"? He'd better not give up his day-job if he researches for his customer's answers by visting internet chatrooms, and doesn't understand the simple required-information basics of any appraisal system well enough to provide that information to those from whom he seeks opinion. (In the real-world of real estate and construction appraisals upon which lending institutions rely, MAI appraisers are experienced, certified, and licensed only after they've met strict guidelines regarding commercial real estate and ADC loan experience. "Aircraft appraisers" are anyone who wants to make the claim "I are one!" They are so laughable as a group seeking respect that they must spend most of their time (and they have plenty of time since they have insufficient suckers) promoting themselves and the farce of their trade rather than performing actual work worth recompense.

My intent regarding this diatribe was to demonstrate to our legitimate members that self-proclaimed "experts" in aircraft appraisal are a dubious resource. No "aircraft appraisal" can substitute for the proper information and the personal inspection of an aircraft and it's records. In the last 3 weeks I personally witnessed an aircraft broker who represented a Citation jet to a customer. When the customer needed an "appraisal" to bring to his banker for purpose of his loan application, guess who provided the "aircraft appraisal"? The self-same broker who set the requested sales-price! This is akin to the fox telling us the chicken-house is doing just fine! Bankers are uniquely unqualified to determine aircraft values and there is an entire industry filled with chameleons that fill in the blanks. I hope no legitimate purchaser of an airplane would place much faith in an "aircraft appraisal" obtained from an "appraiser" that doesn't know the trade well enough to incorporate crucial information required to establish value, or who relies upon total strangers of undetermined qualification found on the internet for his basis. (Perhaps we shoud reconsider and re-publish his commercial signature so our members would know who to avoid?)

I'm glad he found humor in my response. Turn about is fair play. (It's a pity he still failed to supply the simple information necessary to properly serve his customer.)
OTIS

Post by OTIS »

George, I like your style......tell it like you see it. Are you spending time on the lake?

Gerry
N8072A 1952 170B

PS. Thanks for watching out for me on the trip to Kitty Hawk.
N1277D

Perceived Value of a Cessna 170

Post by N1277D »

George:

I think you missed an excellent opportunity to convience one of the "best aircraft appraisers" what the true value of a 170 is. If you had played your cards right your bird could have been worth $250k plus or minus a few k :lol: after a short period of significant price increases. Now your bird could be worth a few dollars on the auction block if your lucky.

You need to work with those appraisers some more, so we guys in Idaho can get a good price on a C185 or better yet a 170 with an IO-360 conversion, long range fuel and full IFR with a storm scope. Perhaps $30k is the right price for one of them. If so he can respond to me and we will have a check in the mail tomorrow to the seller.

:D
zero.one.victor

Post by zero.one.victor »

I have a couple comments:
1) George,your posts quite often lack the simple qualifier - "in my opinion"
2) I didn't see that jetman was trying to commercially take advantage of our forum here.
3) Maybe you've had some bad experiences with aircraft appraisers in the past--don't take it out on all of them. I've had some bad experiences with commercial/corporate pilots,but I don't jump on your case cuz of them. The comment about being OTR seems valid.
4) "Experts",self-stated or not,should be taken with a grain of salt.

Eric
N1478D

Post by N1478D »

OK, I give up! :oops: What does OTR stand for?

Does everybody but me know what this stands for?
Joe
51 C170A
Grand Prairie, TX
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Eric, thank you for the constructive criticism. Your comments are mostly valid, in my opinion. 8)
Except #2. His commercial intent was contained in his self-promotional statements and his commercial signature, which is no longer visible because I eradicated it. Twice. The second time after I had already cautioned him about it.
And #3. As a "commercial/corporate" pilot, you haven't seen me attempt to drum up business here, have you? (Even tho' I am a member. :idea: There's a simple solution for him. When we see jetman's membership number appear in the Directory, He'll have the upper hand, won't he. In this business, pay-backs are always hell. :twisted: )

It was Beryl Minard who once said, "Ex: a has been. Spurt: a drip, ...under pressure." (That was the English version. Ole' GAR produced the cajun dictionary!) :wink:

To all: I apologize to those I may have sucked-in with my "expert" impersonations. Take everything I say with a grain-of-salt,...and a lime,... and two shots of tequila. :P
flyguy

ole gar speaks again (NOTE LITTLE LETTERS!)

Post by flyguy »

A potential buyer for a "Pristine" 170 called me a couple of years ago to ask if I knew anything of the history of a certain 170 (I've really forgotten the N number!) . He had been sent a digital photo of the plane, by a broker /Certified Appraiser, on an airport ramp somewhere near Oklahoma City and forwarded it to me to see if I knew the airplane. It did indeed look "pristine". He didn't know the "SN" or "N" number but I enlarged the photo and identified the N number.

In the old membership books of the 170 association, I found that the plane had previously been owned by a member of our "Association", who by the way, did not live anywhere close to OKE City. Imagine my surprise to find from that contact that the plane had been destroyed in an accident and had been totaled out by the insurance company and they had been paid off some years earlier! The plane had then been sold to another individual as a "pristine, no damage history, one of a kind 170"!

I relayed this information to the potential buyer. He was startled because since the first contact he had made with me, he received information from the seller (via this Certified Appraiser/ Broker), about the "Original Log books" and was told that "they showed NDH"! The potential buyer eventually made personal contact with the owner and informed him of the reasons why he would not buy this plane. I don't know what became of the "pristine" 170, but that owner is a lawyer and I imagine his reaction to the fact that the log books were a forgery and this had cost him a lot of money, did not bode well for the culprits! So much for "Experts"!

Increasing the value of an airplane by hiding previous damage or covering up illegal repairs and flim-flamming potential buyers, is not too common but it does happen. Those who do this can only be classified as greedy creeps who care more for an extra dollar in their pocket than in being honest or having any concern for the safety of a future owner. These repairs may have been made "by the book". Here is the question. Would you TRUST any mechanic or AI who would doctor the official log books just to make an extra buck? Would they have been diligent in repairing or inspecting repairs to the plane? Were they reliable enough to trust them to make the statement that it is in "airworthy" condition? And most important is it legal? (IMHO for Eric) I'll say ZERO, ZIP, ZILCH!

(Also IMHO) Most "Professional Appraisers" wouldn't have had a clue about this forgery! And most probably wouldn't care as long as it "Looked good".

"ole gar"

THU A BUV WAS WRIT IN A FIT OF SOBERNUS SO THU REEL OLE GAR WILL AVISE JOEY BOY WHUT "OTR" MEENS! HIT MEENS - "GITCHER FISHIN POLE AND GO TU THU CRIK - YA AINT GITTIN EENY TUNITE"!