$170 Leaf Spring Bushing

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

WSHIII

$170 Leaf Spring Bushing

Post by WSHIII »

I mean seriously! $170 for a bushing? Really?

I'm replacing all the tail wheel leaf springs because, 1) they just look like they probably need it, 2) the tailwheel geometry is way out of wack and I have quite shimmy going on, so they definately need it, 3) every other part was, I thought, quite reasonably priced, at least by airplane standards. 4) Versus the true cost of neglect and letting actually break before I do something about it.

So, what's the consensus on the leaf spring bushing p/n 0510000-36. The one used to attach the leaf spring to the empennage. Is the old more than like trashed and I'll need a new one? Is there another one available that is less expensive?

Any advice is appreciated?
N8034A '52 170B #20886
Bruce Fenstermacher

Re: $170 Leaf Spring Bushing

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

I'm thinking that bushing, which is steel, probably isn't trashed and in need of replacing. Don't know what your springs look like the rarely does any more than the main spring need to be replaces. But while your at it look at all the parts that are suppose to be back there on the springs. Many a 170 don't have all the parts like the shackle and guard #15 and #16 and make sure the u-bolt is installed as shown with the nuts up. Many are upside down.

If I needed a new bushing, I'd make it. But then I have the tools to do so.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
WSHIII

Post by WSHIII »

No I agree, I could probably get away with just changeing the main spring. Ordinarily i'd be one of the first to pop off with "if ain't broke, do't fix it" but this appears to be the exception to that rule. That and they just aren't that expensive for the rest of the set, so, I'm going all out. Then maybe I won't have to screw around with it for a while. Plus, you haven't seen me try to land this thing yet. I could sell ticket for most of'em!

A new 15 and 16 are also a must. Looks like someone cut the old ones to fit and dogged them down with a jackhammer. I'm not even sure about their proper orientation. But I'll make sure the new ones are installed correctly. Thanks.

Thanks again.

More to follow. I'm sure!
Last edited by WSHIII on Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
N8034A '52 170B #20886
johneeb

Post by johneeb »

Sense you are going all out with new springs don't forget to bevel #12 at the back edge where it chafs on #11.

Tailwheel spring.jpg
John E. Barrett
aka. Johneb

Sent from my "Cray Super Computer"
WSHIII

Post by WSHIII »

John

Ok I'm unfamiliar with that problem and/or with the need to bevel the new springs. So with the bevelng, just approximate the wear pattern of the old springs where 12 chafes on 11?
N8034A '52 170B #20886
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

WSHIII wrote:John

Ok I'm unfamiliar with that problem and/or with the need to bevel the new springs. So with the bevelng, just approximate the wear pattern of the old springs where 12 chafes on 11?
WSHIII... there is a phenomenon commonly known as "stress riser", which is the concentration of stresses at minor scratches and dings, on metal objects which are subject to vibration or other stress. The stress builds up at such points.
It's similar to the way a glazier will break glass..... first he uses a tool with a small, incorporated roller to roll or "scratch" the glass pane...then he quickly "snaps" the glass and it will break exactly at that scratch.

Same thing with your propeller (and why we look for dings, scratches, and damage from rocks, etc. during pre-flight..... And why your mechanic/A&P/IA will dress the damage out with a file and abrasive-paper.... to remove those scratches, etc.. to prevent the build-up of stress in concentration.

The main leaf spring to which your tailwheel assy actually bolts, receives contstant wear and damage from the leaf spring above it. The lower, trailing-edge of that spring above leaves a tell-tale "scratch" or wear-pattern on the main leafspring, and that is where the main leafspring usually snaps.

It's considered good form to remove the sharp, lower-trailing-edge from the leafspring just above the main leafspring, to lessen the impact and reduce the development of a stress-riser on the mainspring.

Here is a photo I posted some time ago in another discussion about this matter. The photo is of the main leafspring, in the area damaged by the spring just-above. This damage occured in only a couple hundred hours operation on a new spring.

'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
WSHIII

Post by WSHIII »

The main leaf spring to which your tailwheel assy actually bolts, receives contstant wear and damage from the leaf spring above it. The lower, trailing-edge of that spring above leaves a tell-tale "scratch" or wear-pattern on the main leafspring, and that is where the main leafspring usually snaps.

It's considered good form to remove the sharp, lower-trailing-edge from the leafspring just above the main leafspring, to lessen the impact and reduce the development of a stress-riser on the mainspring.
Ok I am familiar with " stress risers" so, I can definitely see the need and benefit from these relief bevels. And your description of why and where to make them has been very helpful.

Thanks.

One more thing. I'm inclined to just leave the new set of springs "as is" ( of course I haven't see them yet either) and just touch up and seal the beveled areas with black paint. Or, should I go all the way and seal them with a flexible two part "epoxy" paint?
N8034A '52 170B #20886
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

I would use a fine file and remove the sharp lower edge of the 3rd spring, and polish the new edge. Then I'd paint each spring individually with Imron polyurethane "Gull Grey"....the same color Cessna used.
I would not install or take any other actions.

(I once experimented with teflon tape in this area but it proved useless as the tape quickly "squeezed" out and deteriorated.)
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
johneeb

Post by johneeb »

George,
I am now into many hours sense last tail wheel spring replacement and all that time I have had Teflon tape between spring layers with no tendency to squeeze out. Maybe the glue has improved (hard to understand how it is possible to have glue stick to Teflon tape).
John E. Barrett
aka. Johneb

Sent from my "Cray Super Computer"
wingnut

Post by wingnut »

johneeb wrote:George,
I am now into many hours sense last tail wheel spring replacement and all that time I have had Teflon tape between spring layers with no tendency to squeeze out. Maybe the glue has improved (hard to understand how it is possible to have glue stick to Teflon tape).
This reminds me.......George, did you furnish your own tape, or did I sell you the cheap shyt?? :lol:
Del Lehmann
Mena, Arkansas
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

wingnut wrote:
johneeb wrote:George,
This reminds me.......George, did you furnish your own tape, or did I sell you the cheap shyt?? :lol:

LOL. Yeah, Del... I furnished that tape you installed. It was supplied by Aircraft Spruce and it fairly quickly was shredded beyond usefulness. I thought it deserved a "try" tho'. :lol:
(That same tape has held up very well at the cowl-door fitment areas, and there has been no fretting/smoking/thinning of the sheet metal.)
n3833v

Post by n3833v »

I have seen a thin sheet of teflon installed for protection.

John
John Hess
Past President 2018-2021
President 2016-2018, TIC170A
Vice President 2014-2016, TIC170A
Director 2005-2014, TIC170A
N3833V Flying for Fun
'67 XLH 900 Harley Sportster
EAA Chapter 390 Pres since 2006
K3KNT
Wxbee

Post by Wxbee »

Bringing this post back from the dead! Man $170 doesn't seem so bad anymore. I have a little pitting on the bushing, but no uneven wear. What would you professionals do?
20240224_160552.jpg
Screenshot_20240224_215314_Chrome.jpg
n2582d

Post by n2582d »

Yeah, for me it seems the price of the replacement part in inversely proportional to the necessity of its replacement. :) My 0510000-36 bushing measures 0.372” ID X 0.619” OD X 1.353” long. This 3” steel or this 2” stainless bushing might be worth considering for an owner-produced part.

This L-19 bushing is p/n 0642135. Might be worth a call to Air Repair, Inc. to see what they are asking for it. This website lists the dimensions for the L-19 bushing. It's shorter than my bushing which makes me question whether I have the correct bushing. When I clamp all four (unpainted) springs together they measure 0.944”.
0.9063 inches minimum and 0.9375 inches maximum overall length, 0.6150 inches minimum and 0.6230 inches maximum body outside diameter, 0.3670 inches minimum and 0.3870 inches maximum body inside diameter, steel comp 4130 overall material.
Last edited by n2582d on Sun Feb 25, 2024 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gary
c170b53

Post by c170b53 »

I would reuse that part using plenty of grease / antiseize on the through bolt, but I sometimes tend to have Scottish tendencies.
Jim McIntosh..
1953 C170B S/N 25656
02 K1200RS