Polishing horizontal stab - How much pressure is too much?

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

N4316B

Polishing horizontal stab - How much pressure is too much?

Post by N4316B »

I was polishing my horizontial stabilizer the other day. It has some surface corrosion on the bottom skin, so I was using some pressure to work the corrosion off. I wasn't using a tremendous amount of pressure (I have a hard time quantifiying the value). It was enough that the airplane was rocking a little as a result. I was polishing my hand.

The question is how much pressure is too much pressure on the stabilizer? It's a pretty sturdy structure, so I'm not terribly worried about it, but don't want to damage anything.

Thanks,

Dennis
Dave Clark

Post by Dave Clark »

Too much is when the dent you put in it won't come out. That would take more than the pressure you should have to use. Let the polish do the work and keep the pressure reasonably light and you'll be fine. I used to own a polished 195 and while it was impressive with a new polish job it took about 50 hours twice a year. The underside of the wings were real fun.
Dave
N92CP ("Clark's Plane")
1953 C-180
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Anything more than light pressure can overheat the metal. Let the polish do the work. If you need more aggressive action, use heavier grit polish.
DAIRYdr

Re: Polishing horizontal stab - How much pressure is too much?

Post by DAIRYdr »

HI I AM A NEW 170B OWNER & I AM LOOKING 2 GIT EDUCATED ON POLISHING CAN ANY BODY HELP!!!
N1277D

Post by N1277D »

There are many different approaches. Here is the one we use.

1.) Wash the airframe with a mixture of BonAmi, Alochol, water and Joy dishwashing liquid; polish by wiping down with clean rag with cheap baking flour if so desired. BonAmi is hard to find, but cheap; usually found in higher end grocery stores in NC. If you use flour be careful not to get the flour in seams etc.
2.) We use Flitz (Aircraft Spruce), 2 lb can by hand to polish after washing if needed; usually takes about 20 hrs to do the airframe. Some use electric buffers rather than by hand. 2lbs usually lasts a year or so.
3.) The polishing compond can be removed quickly with cheap baking flour if so desired and a rag.
4.) Wax with non abrasive car wax (spelled kerr in NC).

It takes quite a while to do, about twice a year is needed - spring fall; some even head to the local auto parts store and buy a gallon of WD-40 to wash the airframe with. It helps to keep the shine longer and cuts down on corrosion.
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

DAIRYdr wrote:HI I AM A NEW 170B OWNER & I AM LOOKING 2 GIT EDUCATED ON POLISHING CAN ANY BODY HELP!!!
Yes I can help.

LET SOME ONE ELSE DO IT FOR YOU. :lol:
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
3958v

Post by 3958v »

Those of us who know Bruce know he has never polished or painted any thing on his plane. His idea of sprucing up his plane is flying in a light rainshower and maybe opening the windows in flight once in awhile to dust out the inside a little. But he is still a great guy. Bill K
Polished 48 170 Cat 22 JD 620 & Pug