AOPA Summit

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

4583C

AOPA Summit

Post by 4583C »

I've thought for years that I would like to attend AOPA's annual gathering but not bad enough to go to the east or west coast. This years gathering being only 40 miles away in Fort Worth was more temptation than I could stand and they say this will be the last one. I went to the airport first and drooled over planes first with the highlight probably being Disney"s "Dusty Crophopper" ... Theres just something unique about seeing a full scale cartoon character! :roll: I don't make a habit of texting pics but I knew the grandkids would want to see "Dusty" Less than 30 seconds later I had a text from Megan telling me that Frankie ( almost three) was totally freaked out that Granpa was in the presence of his hero. Had a chance to visit with Stu Horn, of Aviat fame for probably 20 minutes... fascinating guy!
Next I went downtown to the convention center and was really impressed with the exhibits. Fairly easy to get up close and personal with all the miracle new avionics and get more explanations than I could understand :P Only two people I had to wait to see were Jack Pelton and our own Angela Booth who was in the Fore Flight booth. I went to an ipad seminar with probably 400 other folks presented by Sporty's. The presenter took a survey on which apps people were using and I was impressed when 80 to 90% of the crowd raised their hands for Fore Flight. I got to visit with Steve Jacobsen briefly and a few non 170 folks I know. The show runs thru Saturday and I would encourage anyone reasonably close to attend especially if the purchase of avionics is in your future.