Introduction

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Greg Bockelman

Introduction

Post by Greg Bockelman »

I signed up on this site several years ago but never posted.

I owned N5486C, an A model, from '79 to '84. Built about 300 hours time in it in quest of my ultimate pilot career, (Which I attained, BTW :D ) before finally selling it. My wife and I have owned several airplanes in the meantime. We just sold our Cessna 195 and will shortly be looking for a ragwing flying project.

I am sure I will have questions along the way. And I will contribute where I can, but I don't post just to get my post count up.

Anyway, that is just a bit about me.

Greg
Bramlett

Re: Introduction

Post by Bramlett »

Greg,

Seen you over on POA and AOPA. Welcome back to the 170 fold.

All the best,
Regards,

Patrick

Stable fall, face down, frog modified
Greg Bockelman

Post by Greg Bockelman »

Bramlett wrote:Greg,

Seen you over on POA and AOPA. Welcome back to the 170 fold.

All the best,
Yeah, PoA is my "Home". :mrgreen:
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Hey Greg. Don't worry about getting your post count up, we don't count them. I'd say welcome back but you never really left. Refreshing to hear someone is actually looking for a '48. Gets a bit old hearing most want a B model. '48 and A models are just so much more interesting.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

Greg, Welcome!

I don't know where you're located, but if California isn't out of your range, I have a friend who's building up a 180hp B-model and will be putting his ragwing 170 on the market soon. I'm not sure what your definition of "flying project" is, but this airplane, while not a showpiece, isn't a basket case either. If you think you might be interested, send some contact info to cessna170bdriver(at)yahoo(dot)com and I'll forward it along.
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
n9gmr

Post by n9gmr »

Greg Bockelman wrote:I signed up on this site several years ago but never posted.

I owned N5486C, an A model, from '79 to '84. Built about 300 hours time in it in quest of my ultimate pilot career, (Which I attained, BTW :D ) before finally selling it. My wife and I have owned several airplanes in the meantime. We just sold our Cessna 195 and will shortly be looking for a ragwing flying project.
Welcome to the forum, and the TIC170A.
Matt Roberts
Greg Bockelman

Post by Greg Bockelman »

I guess my introduction wasn't quite complete. I learned to fly in 1977-78. A year later, my dad and I bought N5486C, a 1950 170-A. It was a disassembled "project" that we spend the next 9 months or so stripping and putting back together. When the airplane was finished, I found a gentleman who had a lot of 170 time to fly with me. We did about 3 hours of takeoffs and landings. That was pretty much the extent of my checkout. I was attending Central Missouri State University at the time and I did a semester of training in my 170 with Bobby Bonham. I never met Ovid, but Bobby gave me several hours of dual in my plane in furtherance of my ratings race.

Anyway, 4 years and about 300 hours later, we sold the airplane to a gentleman in Wichita, I believe and I haven't flown a 170 since.

As mentioned before, I will soon be looking for a straight 170. I am looking forward to that. Hopefully we can find a "good" one that meets our needs. :D
hilltop170

Post by hilltop170 »

Hi Greg-
I heard you sold the 195, welcome back to the 170 world.
Richard Pulley
2014-2016 TIC170A Past President
1951 170A, N1715D, s/n 20158, O-300D
Owned from 1973 to 1984.
Bought again in 2006 after 22 years.
It's not for sale!