Flint Aero Tanks

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

femoskol

Flint Aero Tanks

Post by femoskol »

I've only found the short discussion regarding trouble transferring fuel from the Flint Aero tanks to the mains. I'm considering installing the ones with the pumps in our 170B and interested in advisability and experiences of others. Thanks-fred
blueldr

Re: Flint Aero Tanks

Post by blueldr »

I believe that I, personally, would prefer a set of C-175 wings or a set of long range C-172 wings, or wing tank enlargement modification, rather than Flint tanks. The Flint tanks put quite a bit of weight out at the wing tips as long as they're full. That could be a little iffy in some landing situations. There is also the possibility of a heavy wing on landing due to Murphys Law to consider in the event that one of the tanks falied to transfer the fuel.
BL
ghostflyer

Post by ghostflyer »

Bluelder is totally right when he talks about problems with flint tanks. Our 206 "had"them fitted and I couldn't transfer the fuel out of the outer rh tank due to gunk in the tank and I was on a extended range flight and needed every fuel fume there was . There wasn't a alternative in this area and to make matters worse I had a bad cross wind for the landing. Aileron control was minimal (do not wont to go there ) . It wasn't good. It was put down on the deck and it was a shock to learn on the next 100hrly we had a inspection to do for spar cracks and one crack was found in the spar just inboard of the tank installation.
I was blamed for the cracking but blind Freddy could see the crack didn't occur over night. Yes people are saying that the out board tanks should be used first but in practice it doesn't happen perfectly.
They were removed from the aircraft and one was run over by a tractor and flattened (accidentally I believe) . Give that man a raise in pay. Oh! I forgot to add , I dislike them with a passion.
ghostflyer

Post by ghostflyer »

OOPS! Just been talking to one of our pilots here and he informed me the aux tanks we had in the 206 wasn't made by Flint. I always thought they were . The ones we had were alloy tanks that fitted in a couple of cut out ribs in the wing tip . He tells me flint are the extended wing tip type. We had a extra 24gals . It was my safety margin . Too long ago to remember ,too many beers since.
femoskol

Post by femoskol »

Thanks ghost flyer. I'd love to have a few of those beers with you. Now I'm really confused. So what's new?
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

I don't recall who it was but one of our original "Classic Cessna 170" participants installed Flint tanks....and got home to find his new wingspan was greater than his shade-hangar. :oops:

(I personally don't like fuel tanks that close to strobe-lights.)

'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
johneeb

Post by johneeb »

George, was that Navajo in flight or on the ground when that happened?
John E. Barrett
aka. Johneb

Sent from my "Cray Super Computer"
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

He was taxying out for flight and just before takeoff, he turned on his wingtip strobe lights and ....BLAM! 8O
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)