Legality of my new custom Shorty's Visors

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

j3pup

Legality of my new custom Shorty's Visors

Post by j3pup »

Let a debate begin about the legality of my home made Shorty's visors for my 210, using original visor hardware. $5 and half our of time.

Attached
Attachments
IMG_2036[1].JPG
blueldr

Re: Legality of my new custom Shorty's Visors

Post by blueldr »

The only problem that I can see with those visors is that the green color is a well known cause of a considerable loss of air speed when applied to any part of an airplane. I will not under any circumstance even put green colored lubricating oil in my engine for that very reason. Thats one of the reasons that I advocate the use of mogas instead of that green stuff they sell at airports.
BL
Sixracer

Post by Sixracer »

AH! Yes, The old British Racing Green superstition. In Racing anything Green is Bad Luck. Guess that applies to flying, only in "Speed". ;~0
170C

Post by 170C »

But some might not want red visors because its the same color as MMO :mrgreen:
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Can't see anything wrong with them, color or otherwise.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

It depends.

What is the conditon of your underwear? What will the hospital-staff say to your Mother? Will they tell the FAA?

(The reason Green sunvisors work so well is they slow down the suns rays giving your eyes time to adjust.)

They are an interior-trim item, neither essential nor required equipment, not altering structure (in fact, using the original structural attaches) falling into the purview of Preventive Maintenance. Sign 'em off yourself.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
T. C. Downey

Post by T. C. Downey »

gahorn wrote:It depends.
They are an interior-trim item, neither essential nor required equipment, not altering structure (in fact, using the original structural attaches) falling into the purview of Preventive Maintenance. Sign 'em off yourself.

They are actually a "Minor alteration"

FAR 1.1 .. Minor alteration means an alteration other than a major alteration.

and signed off accordingly, and remember maintenance is maintenance, no matter who signs it off, IAW FAR 43.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

T. C. Downey wrote:

and signed off accordingly, and remember maintenance is maintenance, no matter who signs it off, IAW FAR 43.
It's an opinion, of course..but they could be a minor alteration...if they are a new installation, for example.
Or they could be a refurbishment...of previously existing sunshades, in which case they could qualify as Preventive Mx.

The real question to answer is: Do they affect airworthiness? and I'd suggest they don't. Some folks believe in the theory that if they aren't logged...they didn't happen. :roll:
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
T. C. Downey

Post by T. C. Downey »

gahorn wrote:
T. C. Downey wrote:

It's an opinion, of course..but they could be a minor alteration...if they are a new installation, for example.
Or they could be a refurbishment...of previously existing sunshades, in which case they could qualify as Preventive Mx.

The real question to answer is: Do they affect airworthiness? and I'd suggest they don't. Some folks believe in the theory that if they aren't logged...they didn't happen. :roll:
When looking at the aircraft it is very apparent that it did happen, any A&P-IA worth a cent will look for a return to service entry in the logs. There should be some thing there that states what was done and by who. And Yes it should be an owner/operator maintenance, because they can do minor alterations such as this.
j3pup

Post by j3pup »

Thanks everyone, you confirmed my beliefs that I could do this legally. I thought it was pretty neat the original visors were fully articulating. I looked at Rosen's but they cost a mint and a few hours of work to install for my airplane. Having just gutted and completely hand created a new interior (with all fire resistant fabric by the way). I thought we could do visors too. My partner in the plane has had success in bending and dying sun roofs etc, for his experimental cubs etc... so we tried with these. Just mix up hair dye to get whatever color you want in the tub and soak. Cut to shape, sand etc... I think I am going into business for sunshades, j/k. Oh the interior came out great too, not bad for around $300. All the seats, headliner, carpets etc... I will keep my $6,000 no thanks Airtex. All sewed on a home sewing machine using the old stuff as patterns. My kids don't seem to mind it's not store bought... I need to get a pick of the headliner for everyone too. Next up shoulder harness for the back. Usually I put my kids in car seats in the back, these pics were a rare occurrence.
addison.jpg
Parker.jpg