Flap Handle Extender Bar

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Sandy170

Flap Handle Extender Bar

Post by Sandy170 »

I'm a new 170 owner and have found it difficult to reach the flap bar without almost completely removing my right harness strap. There is a "Johnson Bar" extender at Aircraft Spruce which supposedly helps with this issue.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/a ... kkey=47577

Has anyone installed this extender and have you had any issues with it?
N2255D

Re: Flap Handle Extender Bar

Post by N2255D »

Have never really used one but the person who invented it had me try it at a booth at OSH in 2011. I told him I didn't like it because I could only get 20 degrees of flaps and then had to reach around the thing to get 30 & 40 flaps. I told him I also didn't like the fact the extension would be sticking between the front seats into the rear seat area. He said the FAA approved it so that was not a problem. Then he said it would help my short field TO by allowing me to deploy flaps while on TO roll. I told him I set flaps before I start to roll and he said he did tests and I could get shorter TO's his way. I told him I wouldn't operate that way. He said he would come out to my plane and do a temporary install. I had a hard time convincing him I didn't want it. I'm 5'4" so I can understand about reaching the flap handle. but the only time it comes into play for me is initial deployment. Then I tighten shoulder harness and can operate the flaps to include retract to 0 degrees. Here is a link to more discussion on the subject.
http://www.cessna170.org/forums/viewtop ... lit=ezflap
Walt Weaver
Spencer Airport (NC35)
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Sandy, I take it you have fixed shoulder harnesses.

There is a thread here about the EZ Flap Handle devise though I don't recall that there was much of a first hand user critique of it.

The EZ Flap creator is very proud of his product and claims, as I recall, that it is a safety device and would be an improvement to the cockpit. This type of advertising by is not allowed here and some feathers were ruffled for that as well as I recall the creator didn't take to the critique that it was not a safety device and those opinions by participants that they didn't need it. The exchange was probably not one of the forums finest hours.

But none of us are you and we don't own your airplane. Hopefully you can hear from first hand users whether the device works for them and meets their expectations and then you can decide if it is something you need.

Here is the other thread which did not start about the EZ Flap but was about shoulder harness options.
http://www.cessna170.org/forums/viewtop ... =27&t=5119
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
jrenwick

Post by jrenwick »

Sandy170 wrote:I'm a new 170 owner and have found it difficult to reach the flap bar without almost completely removing my right harness strap....
I always kept my shoulder harness tight, and used my right foot to depress the button on the end of the flap handle when it was time to lower flaps. Once the button is pressed, I could reach the middle of the handle and pull it up.
John Renwick
Minneapolis, MN
Former owner, '55 C-170B, N4401B
'42 J-3 Cub, N62088
'50 Swift GC-1B, N2431B, Oshkosh 2009 Outstanding Swift Award, 2016 Best Continuously Maintained Swift
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

Real aviators don't need the damn flaps!
BL
Bruce Fenstermacher

Aryana wrote:Real aviators don't need shoulder harnesses! :wink:
But real "smart" aviators use them. 8)

mekstrand

Post by mekstrand »

The purpose of a shoulder harness is to prevent your head And torso from contacting the instrument panel in the event of sudden deceleration. It does not need to be worn so tight that it prevents the operation of the flight controls. If you can't operate the flaps with your harness on, you're doing something wrong.
Last edited by mekstrand on Sat Oct 13, 2012 3:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
marathonrunner

Post by marathonrunner »

I agree Aryana. Reel aviatior do have inertia reels in all seat positions :D
It's not done till it's overdone
cmsusllc

Post by cmsusllc »

If you have an 'A' model 170 don't bother. But if you have a 'B' model and you are short, as I am, buy it. You won't be disapointed. I installed one in my 53B and wouldn't be without it. Sold that plane and am currently flying an A model and it's not needed. Also if you only fly paved strips you won't get as much advantage with it. But if you go off road it is a BIG help.
Scott
Bruce Fenstermacher

Scott,

Could you expand your explanation why you don't need this with an A model. While slightly different the flap handles are essentially the same and in the same location so a short armed person with using properly adjusted fixed shoulder harnesses would still have difficulty reaching the handle.

GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Ahhh...yessss.... the cause for electric-flaps.... :lol:

I slip my arm free from my fixed-position shoulder harness to deploy flaps on approach while I am still letting down into the pattern. I then slip back into my harness for the landing.

STOWING the flaps in the retracted position is NEVER a problem...as the button can be released ...the flap handle lowered to the retracted position, and my hand slid down toward the trim-wheel to pres against the flap handle to finally "latch " it into the locked/stowed position.

Prior to departure..... before beginning my takeoff roll... I do the same: Slip my arm out of the harness, set the flaps for takeoff, ....slip back into the harness...and take off. After lift-off, when safely away and into the climb, it's easy to release the button again, let the flaps retract (due to air pressure) and when the handle is again in the stowed position, I can easly reach the handle close to the trim wheel, press down and hear/feel that satisfying "click" as it locks into the flaps-UP/Stowed-handle position.

I appreciate the EZ Flap developer's enthusiasm for his product, and I congratulate him on carrying his idea to fruition/market. [edit[

In any case, I don't find any real need for his product. And it's ugly, un-original, and expensive. No safety feature can I discern about it. He seems interested in developing other aviation products as well, however.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
marathonrunner

Post by marathonrunner »

Someone sounds opinionated 8O
Just wondering why you don't have an inertia reel to make life easier for many cockpit tasks? Actually cars could use them too as shoulder harnesses according to reports I have read, tend to hold you in but impart a twisting moment that can really mess up your back and has in many cases. I guess better then eating the steering wheel but still not the best option
It's not done till it's overdone
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

marathonrunner wrote:Someone sounds opinionated 8O
How perceptive! LOL
(it was a topic asking for opinion.) perhaps youre unfamiliar with our early experience with mr ezflap.
I don't have inertia reel harness.....because I don't need them.....due to the simple solution already
offered....and without any of their maintenance issues.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
Sandy170

Post by Sandy170 »

Thanks, everyone, for the useful comments. By the way, I did search for previous posts about the extender bar but didn't find anything so I figured the topic was new. I agree releasing flaps is not a problem, but depressing the button (really - push it with a foot???) and pulling the bar was nearly impossible with a properly tightened shoulder strap. I am not ready to install an inertial reel yet, but sounds like the best option for me. Will put in more hours in my 170 first.

Sandy
bagarre

Post by bagarre »

I used the hooker harness (no reel) for the first two year that I had my 170.
My plan was to loosen the harness, work the flaps and then re-tighten the harness.
In fact, the harness stayed loose 99% of the time due to laziness. The human factor is the least considered.

I've since put reels in my plane and don't give it a second thought. They are quite nice but can be pricey.

I too looked at the flap handle extender bar thingy and it just seemed too much for such a small problem (the first click of the flaps) but some people like it. I'm also 6'2" with ape arms tho. If my wife tried to reach it, she'd be real hard pressed to reach it at all.

An idea is to call the ezflap guy yourself and see if he'll work a satisfaction guarantee return policy with you.
You just might be one of the people that likes the setup.