propellor color

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

gparker

propellor color

Post by gparker »

Got the urge to repaint the prop. What was the original color and patter for a 1956 model?
1956 170B N3457D
SN 27000
Denham Springs, LA
russfarris

Re: propellor color

Post by russfarris »

The prop was polished aluminum, with angled red tips with Mac Cauley decals in the center of the blades. Repros of the decal are available from Moody's Aerographics or Chief Aircraft.
All glory is fleeting...
Blue4

Post by Blue4 »

If you have a Hartzell, I'd recommend against polishing it like the previous owner of my airplane did. The Fuzz handed him a fix-it-ticket so when I bought the airplane the 300 hour total time prop had 100 hours since overhaul. Overhaul was the only way to bring it back into spec--and I also got a nice non-AD hub out of the deal.
bsdunek

Post by bsdunek »

russfarris wrote:The prop was polished aluminum, with angled red tips with Mac Cauley decals in the center of the blades. Repros of the decal are available from Moody's Aerographics or Chief Aircraft.
Polished, or just satin finish anodized aluminum? I don't remember any production fixed pitch MacCauley propellers of the era being polished. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Bruce
1950 170A N5559C
bagarre

Post by bagarre »

A quick search of 'polished propellers' on this forum points to previous topics on this.
One post in particular
Polished Props
McCauley & Sensenich have no approved procedure for polishing. Part of the overhaul manual for these propellers lists the required preservative coatings and paints. By polishing the propeller you've removed those coatings and, technically, the propeller does not meet its manufacturer's instructions for continued airworthiness. I encourage anyone who doubts the above contact the propeller manufacturers directly to get their questions answered. Or, contact your local FSDO.
ginbug92b

Post by ginbug92b »

The prop decals that Moodys and Chief sell are not the correct decals for McCauley props made in the 40's and 50's. I have the correct ones available for $22.00 a pair.
Mark 55B N4492B 53PA-18 N3357A
gparker

Post by gparker »

I too have heard that polishing is a no-no. But I still don't know the correct paint colors... Anyone?
1956 170B N3457D
SN 27000
Denham Springs, LA
ginbug92b

Post by ginbug92b »

A semi-gloss gray with red tips.
Mark 55B N4492B 53PA-18 N3357A
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

gparker wrote:I too have heard that polishing is a no-no. But I still don't know the correct paint colors... Anyone?
I don't know if using the term "correct" ...is, er, uhm... correct....or not...but.... McCauley has changed their Instructions for Continued Airworthiness over the years. Back in the days...(prior to 1970s) they painted their props with a grey "Polane" paint, with safety tips in either yellow, red, or white (according to the wishes of the consumer, or barring such instructions, white.)

After 1980 McCauley began using a flat black which has become quite standard since it's easy to touch up. The tips are usually white.

My own is (or was at one time) polished. The rumors that some FAA inspectors were obtuse about that became a humorous anecdote when it was pointed out that polishing is not only a form of "cleaning" for inspection, but is also how FAA's own DC-3 props were kept.

Paint is a protective method to delay corrosion. Polishing keeps the corrosion removed. Paint is not mandatory, IMO (worth what you paid for it.) If you worry about this sort of thing, then perhaps you might consider clearcoating your prop and signing it off as a minor alteration.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
bsdunek

Post by bsdunek »

I don't have a close-up of the prop handy, but this is they way they were in 1950. Satin anodized aluminum with red tips and flat black on the back. Don't know if my decals are correct - just what Wag-Aero sells.
Attachments
59 Charlie 01.jpg
Bruce
1950 170A N5559C