Left Door Latch Removal

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Abe

Left Door Latch Removal

Post by Abe »

Trying to replace the Door Latch return spring (PN# 0511119) in the left door. It seems that the two pop rivots at the latch end have to be removed to start the process. But, before I take it out the way it seems to have to come out, I wanted to ask you all, what is the proper way to get the latch out so I can replace the return spring? Thanks again!
Bill
'52 170B
Bruce Fenstermacher

Re: Left Door Latch Removal

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Yes, you must drill out those rivets at the latch. I personally replace them with soft pop rivets so they can be easily removed next time.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
Abe

Post by Abe »

Thanks Bruce, and I've found they don't give away those return springs either. But, this all gives a guy something to do.
Bill
'52 170B
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Abe... did you see the alternative solution offered by one of our fellow Members using ordinary tension springs?
Click to ENLARGE
Click to ENLARGE
Latch-2.jpg
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
Abe

Post by Abe »

I wasn't aware of this option, but I sure like the looks of them in your photos. Where does a guy go to get more info on them?
Bill
'52 170B
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Bill......you just saw all there is to know. Get some springs and so-modify yours.
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
Joe Moilanen

Post by Joe Moilanen »

Howdy Abe,

Those pics were from my 170B, I got the springs from Ace Hardware, cant remember the #'s but they have a lot to chose from and it's not really rocket science. Seems like a more practical spring set-up than the mousetrap springs.

Is Minam's Ranch still open??

Joe
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

Some previous owner of one of my C-170Bs apparently removed the upholstery on the left hand door and bored a hole in the inside aluminum to reach in there to work on the lock. The latch was repaired as shown in the pictures with two small coil springs and the switch and door lock had a common key, which is rather uncommon on these old airplanes.
BL
Abe

Post by Abe »

Howdy Joe, nice set up on your door latch. Always something to do on our birds. New owners at Minam and the new owners just begun major renovation about 10-days ago. Three inches of old crunchy snow that makes landing interesting. RAF, IAA, & OPA and others are doing a voluntary airlift for the new owners on April 14-15 with a BBQ for those participating at Minam on the 14th. A briefing will be held at 8:30 AM on the 14th for those participating. Come on over and I'll high grade your door latch springs and buy you a beer. May have to put together another 170 flyin together in there next year.
Bill
'52 170B
Joe Moilanen

Post by Joe Moilanen »

I'd love to make it ABE but I'll be in Florida on the 14th. Gotta thaw out my bone marrow for a week. I'll get a hold of you when I can make it to Minam's and we'll have a brew or two.

See ya soon I hope!!

Joe
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Joe Moilanen wrote:Howdy Abe,

Those pics were from my 170B, I got the springs from Ace Hardware, cant remember the #'s but they have a lot to chose from and it's not really rocket science. Seems like a more practical spring set-up than the mousetrap springs.

Is Minam's Ranch still open??

Joe
By the way, Joe... I hope you didn't feel slighted when I didn't mention you by NAME for coming up with that fantastic solution... I never know when an owner wants to share info...but doesn't want attention drawn to their personal aircraft solutions (if you know what I mean.)

THANK YOU for sharing the super idea and sending the photos! I've sent them privately to dozens who've faced this problem ..and kept your notoriety secret! :lol:

-George
Joe Moilanen

Post by Joe Moilanen »

Thanks George, no problem!(;

Joe
cowboy

Post by cowboy »

Found this in the Cessna 172 (1963-1974) Parts Manual, page 200. Just incase anyone is looking for a basis of "approval" for the different spring type. :wink: Man, that would have to be a REALLY diligent FED to take a door apart in the first place!
Attachments
Cessna Door Spg Mod.pdf
(72.64 KiB) Downloaded 492 times
Jeff
I'm not flying, I'm falling with style!
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Hey Cowboy, that is a GREAT catch. I'm so relieved to find I'm not that much of a renegade after all.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
Poncho73

Post by Poncho73 »

I'm looking for the left door catch I believe part number 0411552. Mine has worn/fractured at the pivot pin. Anyone have one or know where I can get one? Aircraft is in the Toronto area. Thanks