Who was in IND Today?

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

wa4jr

Who was in IND Today?

Post by wa4jr »

I was sitting in runup pad in Indianapolis today waiting for a departure clearance time to Washington Dulles when a beautiful 170 with green trim plopped down on 23R. Not really a bad landing at all considering the winds. N number ended in 2WJ, or was it 2JW. Wonder who this was? Made me long to get my bird out of the radio shop and get out of the electronic flying easychair that I fly for a living. Amazing how much attention a nice 170 gets on the radio wherever it goes :)
John, 2734C in Summit Point, WV
David Laseter

Post by David Laseter »

wa4jr, good luck on finding whom it was. I'm still waiting on someone to tell me about this 170 at Oskosh and I know someone knows. :?:

Repaste: A fellar came out and told me all about this fancy 170 that had flown through a couple of weeks ago. He said that the 170 had won some big award at Oskosh and was on it's way back to California. I believe it was a 170 (probably B). WHO would that be and WHAT AWARD did they win? I don't see anything about it, in the Flypaper or 170 News.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

I don't know about Oshkosh, but ....of course, Russ Farris's 170B is featured on the cover of "Vintage" magazine, having been featured and photographed at Sun N Fun this year. Great Article! Congratulations Russ! (I finally got my copy today! I can't figure out why I receive Vintage a month late. It's been that way for years, and it's difficult to make events mentioned when they've already passed!) But great photos of Russ's polished with red trim airplane!
N1478D

Post by N1478D »

gahorn wrote: I can't figure out why I receive Vintage a month late. It's been that way for years, and it's difficult to make events mentioned when they've already passed!) But great photos of Russ's polished with red trim airplane!
OOOhhhhhh BOY! George, it gets there on time, YOU are always late! Blaming the EAA for you being late to FlyIns? Put that airplane of yours on a trailer and hire someone to drive it to the shows, then, buy an A model and fly it to where you want to go. :lol:
Joe
51 C170A
Grand Prairie, TX
David Laseter

Post by David Laseter »

buy an A model and fly it to where you want to go.
NOW JOE! Please don't take offense, but you kinda got like a sissy airplane when it comes to going where you want to go, IMHO! You'd agree with that wouldn't you? :P
Where I come from one brags on the size of there flaps and how Slow they can fly, NOT how fast.
And I've spent a lot of $$$ slowing mine down so I can go where I want to go and it's still limited. I guess if I was down from Chuck, across from Pat, I'd understand.
So there you have it, I'm Proud to say it - My Plane is Slower than either of your's! :)

The Award winning 170 from California had blue paint. There is a pic of Kenny Finch's plane from Paso Robles that looks pretty nice? :idea:

AK (not yet AR certified) Dave
N1478D

Post by N1478D »

David Laseter wrote:
buy an A model and fly it to where you want to go.
NOW JOE! Please don't take offense, but you kinda got like a sissy airplane when it comes to going where you want to go, IMHO! You'd agree with that wouldn't you? :P
Where I come from one brags on the size of there flaps and how Slow they can fly, NOT how fast.
And I've spent a lot of $$$ slowing mine down so I can go where I want to go and it's still limited. I guess if I was down from Chuck, across from Pat, I'd understand.
So there you have it, I'm Proud to say it - My Plane is Slower than either of your's! :)

The Award winning 170 from California had blue paint. There is a pic of Kenny Finch's plane from Paso Robles that looks pretty nice? :idea:

AK (not yet AR certified) Dave
Ahhh, very clear why you and George are hanging together, the slow thing! Why is it that the two of you are pulling up old posts and replying to them here lately? (You - Dec 20, 2002 on tires, George replied to his own Mar 15 post on fuel gauges) Where are you two guys at and what are you doing together that you are so out of sync with time? :? Hey, when we meet in AR, let's have a spot landing contest and maybe short field work - want to? I'll come to where you are so we don't have to worry about you making it somewhere. :lol:
Joe
51 C170A
Grand Prairie, TX
David Laseter

Post by David Laseter »

I've moved to an Ultralight / 170B strip - don't think you should land there! So when you fly over, slow down, and I'll come up and take you to an 800' strip I've located on the backside of Mt Nebo. Also, we should practice up on dropping toilet paper to hunting camps.
Yes, that will be Fun!
What I really need training on is Communications, like flying into (Little Rock), using the Transponder, & Doing all that kind of Lower 48 stuff.

Don't know about George, but I've been pulling up Old Post to find material worth reading. :roll:
funseventy

Post by funseventy »

Since when did they start using toilet paper in Arkansas.

Kelly
N1478D

Post by N1478D »

Let's do some class B work, it's easy and fun.
Last edited by N1478D on Fri Sep 19, 2003 4:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Joe
51 C170A
Grand Prairie, TX
R COLLINS

Post by R COLLINS »

John,
I ran a search through the FAA site and found the plane you were inquiring about. It's based in Centerville, Ohio under the name of Dennis Mcllelan and Donald Gordon. The n number is N52WJ. This plane is not listed in the '03 membership directory so they probably do not visit this site. You can view the info yourself at LANDINGS.COM

Dave,

Your sure digging a deep hole, did I hear you say you've joined the ultralight association and have been assigned to toilet paper duty?
Randal 170A
David Laseter

Post by David Laseter »

Would you ALL agree to delete your post back to the toilet paper idea, if I started the deleting by deleting this one? :oops: I think this has steared way off from the advancement of a Classical Airplane.
OK, this is where that came from. I guided for a guide/transporter for some years and he would get request to drop diff supplies during hunting season. Several times a year he'd get a call for TP. Try landing TP on a tent surrounded by water. So for kicks I practiced this and sometimes would drop a roll or two on my buddies camps. Guess I better write the procedure up and add it to the homepage.
You know there is an Annual Moose Dropping Festival in Talkeetna?
russfarris

Post by russfarris »

gahorn wrote:I don't know about Oshkosh, but ....of course, Russ Farris's 170B is featured on the cover of "Vintage" magazine, having been featured and photographed at Sun N Fun this year. Great Article! Congratulations Russ! (I finally got my copy today! I can't figure out why I receive Vintage a month late. It's been that way for years, and it's difficult to make events mentioned when they've already passed!) But great photos of Russ's polished with red trim airplane!
Thanks, George I appreciate the comments. I hate to think about selling the old bird; it's been a great airplane, but 180 fever is catching...

I'm starting Airbus A-320 school October 7th as el co-piloto, so I've shelved the active 180 hunt until the dust settles. It's a buyers market right now, so I think it's OK to wait for the right airplane. Won't be done with training until late November.

If any out there knows of a nice 1953 to 1965 180 for sale, drop a line...Russ Farris
All glory is fleeting...
N1478D

Post by N1478D »

David Laseter wrote: You know there is an Annual Moose Dropping Festival in Talkeetna?
That seems very mean spirited to drop a moose out of an airplane. :evil:
Joe
51 C170A
Grand Prairie, TX