Javelin Fuel Caps (split topic)

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

runerider

Javelin Fuel Caps (split topic)

Post by runerider »

Just a little off the subject but does anyone know the brand any spec's on the cap for a Javelin system?
shotgun34 L-19 #884 70-71 Chi Lang
GAHorn

Re: Ragwings and Fuel Caps

Post by GAHorn »

runerider wrote:Just a little off the subject but does anyone know the brand any spec's on the cap for a Javelin system?
I have the specs and NAPA part number in my personal library at home. I'll try to get it to you this weekend.

(The genuine Cessna PN is 0716128-24)
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
n2582d

Post by n2582d »

runerider wrote:Just a little off the subject but does anyone know the brand any spec's on the cap for a Javelin system?
The Javelin blueprint says "Gates Gas 20"
Gary
Kurt Aichele

Post by Kurt Aichele »

Found the link below back from 2007. Maybe this will help. good pictures. Pretty much the same procedure we used plus all of the help from Dan. Installed as part of wing recovering project. They work perfect. Thanks again, Dan!

http://www.cessna170.org/forums/viewtop ... aps#p41877
runerider

Post by runerider »

Thanks Gary we tried the Gates 20 like the blue print said but it wouldn't vent when we tested the transfer. We either got a bad cap or they have changed the venting rate and over pressure rate for California. Sounds strange but they test the gas cap for this when we get are cars smoged.
n2582d

Post by n2582d »

Could you get a field approval for this cap from Wag Aero?
image.php.gif
image.php.gif (20.13 KiB) Viewed 5706 times
Or the vented cap (p/n FC3487-2) from Aircraft Spruce?
FC3487-2 is just the vented cap
FC3487-2 is just the vented cap
Gary
runerider

Post by runerider »

Thanks again.
DWood

Post by DWood »

Or the vented cap (p/n FC3487-2) from Aircraft Spruce?
Gary:
Funny you should ask. I am thinking you mean as a replacement for the Javelin caps. However, my 48 project has these under a field approval around 1950 or 1960 timeframe. Pictures below.
Dan
Attachments
18041 tank cap.JPG
18041 tank cap A.JPG
Last edited by DWood on Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
n2582d

Post by n2582d »

Dan,
Yes, I was responding to the Javelin tank cap issue. Sorry to hijack the thread. (Maybe a moderator could separate these?) It seems to me that an inspector, if shown that the prescribed fuel cap does not vent properly, would sign off on one of these alternatives. I ended up buying the Wag Aero cap for my Javelin tank.
Gary
GAHorn

Re: Javelin Fuel Caps (split topic)

Post by GAHorn »

Dan: do you mean that a baggage-compartment aux fuel tank with an INTERIOR-vented gas-cap was actually APPROVED by someone on a field approval? REALLY? 8O

I'm curious as to whether or not that is a legal (actual) Field Approval or if it's bootlegged/counterfeit. I'd certainly modify it to an external cap, if it were mine.
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
DWood

Post by DWood »

Dan: do you mean that a baggage-compartment aux fuel tank with an INTERIOR-vented gas-cap was actually APPROVED by someone on a field approval? REALLY?
George:
NO, my photos are NOT of a Javelin fuel tank. They are pictures of the wing tank caps on my 1948 170 project.
I'm curious as to whether or not that is a legal (actual) Field Approval or if it's bootlegged/counterfeit. I'd certainly modify it to an external cap, if it were mine.
The field approvals for my wing tanks are legal and I don't have a Javelin tank. Thanks for your concern.

Dan
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

DWood wrote:
Dan: do you mean that a baggage-compartment aux fuel tank with an INTERIOR-vented gas-cap was actually APPROVED by someone on a field approval? REALLY?
George:
NO, my photos are NOT of a Javelin fuel tank. They are pictures of the wing tank caps on my 1948 170 project.
The field approvals for my wing tanks are legal and I don't have a Javelin tank. Thanks for your concern.

Dan
Ha! Three A&Ps here at work and I had looked at that photo and tried to figure out how they got that tank approved for interior-installation! LOL (One of the guys was afraid you actually had a cotton-rope type carpet installed!...the pic was very confusing.) :lol:
DWood

Post by DWood »

Ha! Three A&Ps here at work and I had looked at that photo and tried to figure out how they got that tank approved for interior-installation! LOL (One of the guys was afraid you actually had a cotton-rope type carpet installed!...the pic was very confusing.)
And concrete wall fuselage? And the cap on the side of the tank? I can only imagine the conversations.

I remember now why I avoid posting on this forum, they cause too much confusion. :D

Dan
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Concensus was that (if a Javelin-style modification) the tank must be something adapted or depicted "out of context" and being used as part of some other project. Human communication/clarity is paramount in all things, heh? :lol: