Blocking N number from flight tracking websites

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

KG

Blocking N number from flight tracking websites

Post by KG »

Do any of you have your N number blocked from flight tracking websites? I've "googled" my N number a few times and find it disturbing to see my flights displayed for all to see.... where I went and even a map showing my flight path...... at least for those flights where I talked to a controller along the way. I'm going to submit a request to block my number. Just curious if any others had done this.

http://www.alaskadispatch.com/article/c ... st-program

http://www.nbaa.org/ops/security/barr/new-process/
53 170B
GAHorn

Re: Blocking N number from flight tracking websites

Post by GAHorn »

I don't have any national secrets to hide... and if I'm travelling to meet someone it might be helpful for them to see my progress and if I've diverted elsewhere or around weather. If the tail number is blocked...then friends, family, FBO's, and programs like FlightAware will be unable to help my family/friends obtain information about my flight. (You can't UNblock for a particular flight.)

If I wanted to track you KG...I'd have to know your tail number. In other words... a typical "N" number has no significance to the typical non-aviation person.... except those to whom you've provided your registration. Meanwhile, if someone else is in your airplane flying around...YOU will be unable to track the aircraft's progress as well (if you've blocked your number.)
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
KG

Post by KG »

Good points George. You are correct in that there are some caveats. I have a SPOT tracker for friends and family so I sent a request to block my number. I don't have any national secrets to hide either but I might not want bad neighbors and ex wives to know where I am.

This is the reply I got back from the FAA. There are some things to consider if anyone wants to do this.

Your request for Blocking at the FAA Source has been received and processed for the following aircraft:

This will go into effect on the next cycle update of the ASDI Block List, which will be implemented on January 5th.

So you'll know, the Block Lists are implemented on the first Thursday of each month, with the 15th of the preceding month being the cut off date for receipt of block requests. (This will be important for you to know, if ever you want to submit a change to your blocking level).

Additionally, we're looking at an annual renewal for the ASDI Block program. At this time, it hasn't been determined yet if the FAA will reach out to requestors prior to the expiration of their block to prompt a renewal, or if you'll have to initiate that action yourself. To be on the safe side, for those of you on the January 5th Block list, I would suggest that you just plan to send us a renewal request no later than December 15th each year, in order to ensure continuation of your aircraft's blocking as needed.

Interesting... my N number does not appear in the "copy and paste" above. It looked different in their email and it did not transfer over. Secret government stuff I suppose.
53 170B
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

As you all know I just flew N945ME from PTW to 41LA. It is not and was not tracked because I didn't file and open an IFR flight plan. This aircraft has flown about 250 flights in the last year. The only flight plan tracked for it was it's last IFR flight on September 11, 2011 from PTW to ACY which BTW was not were it concluded it's flight. That would have been MIV after the weather improved.

There is no data for either of my aircraft, N7a or N42532 because no one has ever and isn't likely to ever file an IFR flight.

At this point I'm not the least bit worried anyone could track any aircraft I fly and know it's location. Of course down the road with NextGen and ADS-B this could be a much different story.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
KG

Post by KG »

Not quite true Bruce. Flightaware will also display any flights where VFR flight following is used. I have never filed a flight plan for my aircraft, IFR or VFR. The only thing I have ever done is take off VFR and call a controller en-route for VFR flight following. You can search for my N number and see when and where I last talked to a controller. I'm sure there isn't much to be worried about but it's just one more area of diminished privacy.... only this is one where I can take some control over it. So the greatest benefit may be that it just makes me feel better. I'll take it. Keith
53 170B
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Keith what ever makes you feel good is OK with me.

From FlightAware: Can FlightAware track VFR flights? What about a VFR flight with a flight plan? (Back to top)

Some VFR aircraft with flight following are available on the position maps but it largely unreliable and arrival/departure/flight plan data is often not available. VFR flight plans are irrelevant and only used by FSS for search and rescue. We suggest ensuring that aircraft are on an IFR flight plan from wheels up to wheels down for proper tracking.

I can't find any VFR flights any of my aircraft have made. Maybe because I don't file a VFR flight plan. I have gotten VFR flight following though and if they are there I can't find them.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
Harold Holiman

Post by Harold Holiman »

When I was still flying, I almost always used flight following with no flight plan and could never find any of my flights tracked.
Harold Holiman
Member # 893 (11/73)
Past Director, TIC170A
Former Owner of;
C170A N9027A
C172N N1764V
C180 N92CP
HA

Post by HA »

well it's been probably 15 years since I filed IFR with the 172 so not too worried about anyone tracking that. but we use flightaware and sites like it a lot at work, makes it easy for me to see when our planes are up on projects in the US (kind of Big-Brother-ish, but in this case Big Brother is me) and we can actually use the data as a backup for times when our onboard dataloggers fail for whatever reason.

plus my wife uses it to see how late I'm going to be for supper, which affects the quality of the leftovers I will be dining on later :) . always nice when your schedule is not your own.
'56 "C170 and change"
'52 Packard 200
'68 Arctic Cat P12 Panther
"He's a menace to everything in the air. Yes, birds too." - Airplane
Bramlett

Post by Bramlett »

I"ve only shown up on Flightaware VFR when flight following and I get handed off to a Center.

I'm likely to submit for blocking on both my planes.
Regards,

Patrick

Stable fall, face down, frog modified
KS170A

Post by KS170A »

One other side benefit of tracking flights/not blocking your N# is detecting fraudulent activity. My company recently discovered this when someone a couple thousand miles away from my base repeatedly filed my aircraft's N# for their flights. It's a bit difficult for my aircraft to be in a phase inspection on jackstands in the hangar, and also be in the flight levels 1,000 miles away :lol: (unless my boss isn't telling me something :?: )

Some serious CYA on our part, we notified about every Fed agency we could think of to make sure they understood it wasn't us doing whatever this clown was doing. So far (knock on wood) they haven't bothered the real me yet.
--Josh
1950 170A
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

Some years ago, I was acquainted with an airline pilot who regularly flew his Beech Bonanza using a spurious tail number on both VFR and IFR flights. He seemed to think it was a way to keep from getting into trouble. He is no longer an active flyer.
BL
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Depending upon how you search for a particular registration... the flight following may not match your actual point of Departure/Arrival...as ATC typically enters the closest facility to the point of radar-contact.

Not much is gained in privacy by blocking your number insofar as a determined inquest is concerned. Any citizen can contact ATC or FSS and any registration number can be tracked in real time.and reported due to the FOIA. It's only withheld from on-line websites. If I thought you were airborne and I wanted to find out your location, all I have to do is call any TRACON and ask. Also, any visitor to any TRACON will see all aircraft under radar services. For those and other reasons, I don't think complaints of "loss of privacy" carry much weight. (Not to mention that if one uses the public transportation system of highways and airways that I doubt one can claim much right-to-privacy.)

One method used to avoid registration number tracking by some operators is to use flight numbers and change destinations or cancel enroute. :roll:
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)