Flying with RH door removed

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

rudymantel

Post by rudymantel »

I looked up AC-105-2C and saw no mention of allowing certain airplanes to fly with the door removed.
The circular, all 14 pages, concerns rules on Sport Parachuting. The only mention I saw on door removal was near the very end, Par. 23 b. "anyone applying for approval to alter an aircraft for parachute jumping operations should submit sufficient evidence to the local FSDO to permit evaluation of the following:
(1) The effects of any aircraft alterations such as door removal or external proturberances on the controllability or handling qualities of the aircraft." ...
Is there another Advisory Circular that addresses this issue ?
Rudy
rudymantel

Post by rudymantel »

Re: AC105-2C : I didn't see Appendix 2- I'll look for it.
Rudy
rudymantel

Post by rudymantel »

George is right on as usual ! When I read AC-102-2C I never got to the Appendices. Indeed, Appendix 2 contains a list of "Aircraft that May be Operated With One Cabin Door Removed". It includes a great many airplanes, including the Cessna 170.
(I never knew there were so many regulations on Sport Parachuting)
Rudy
dkalwishky

Post by dkalwishky »

If this can be done without an STC, there I wonder what the point is for having one available :|
JDH

Post by JDH »

One thing to remember before hitting the blue yonders with a door off: Anything that is not bolted, tied or taped down, may and will fly out the door if light enough... Last summer, a couple of friends removed the RH door of their 172 to go take a few pics. I was working in my hangar and as usual, looked at the departing bird. As they left the grass and started climbing, I saw a few "shadows, odds and ends" escape the plane. We walked around and found rags, mats, pieces of trim... JD