Helicopter trip. A bit of topic

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Bruce Fenstermacher

Helicopter trip. A bit of topic

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

1_945me.jpg
  • Our BK117B2
444904.jpg
  • Our BO-105
As BL noticed I've missed a few days at the forum. And the spammers ran ramped it seems. :lol:

The reason I was MIA was good but for a bad reason. You see I spent half of Thursday and all day Friday flying a BK117 helicopter from my base in Pottstown Pa the Metro company headquarters in Shreveport, LA. It was a two ship flight with friend and fellow medevac pilot Mike Robertson following in our back up BO-105. The contract with Metro, my employer was terminated as of Nov 30th. This is not good. Mike and I were returning two of our three helicopters to Metro. Mike and I got to do this because we were not offered employment with the new contractor which makes us both unemployed. This is really not a good thing. But to be honest Mike and I might have gotten the best deal not being offered employment so we're just moving on.

Back to the flight. We left Thursday about 11:30, got about 3 minutes down the road but had to return because the BO-105 Mike was flying had a engine beep problem. Those familiar with twin engine helicopters know exactly what the issue might be but for others one must match both engines manually and it wasn't working. We thought the trip may be scrubbed or at least postponed which could have been a problem.

Mike and our mechanic removed and cleaned a few cannon plugs in the system and the mechanic gave the #2 engine actuator a rap with his screw driver and the system started working. We are concluding it was a dirty cannon plug that was cleaned and reseated and not the rap on the side of the annunciator that fixed it. Then off we went but late. Mike matched the engines at a hover at PTW and decided they were matched well enough and never touched it again till we reached Shreveport.

We had two drop dead gorgeous days of flying. Thursday not a cloud in the sky and practically no head wind even though we were heading west south west. We stayed low clearing the Application Mountain ridges by a few feet then over the rolling hills of W. Virginia. Ending up that might at Big Sandy Regional Airport (K22) in Kentucky for the night. Friday was another gorgeous day. We departed and remained 500 agl for the rest of the trip. No winds to speak of. Only ultra high cirrus clouds. We arrived in Shreveport about 4 pm. Oh BTW if you happen to see the BK or the BO in the accompanying pictures, buzzing over your house in the last two days (at 500 ft of course) and rattle your windows or scare you live stock, we're sorry.

It was 9.2 hours of low level helicopter flying across our great country. My BK had and auto pilot which was engaged the entire time except landing and takeoff. So I got to sit there and really look at the country close. I know a lot of you don't know any different but when you spend most of your life and flying career in the north east, you tend to think the world is a pretty crowded place.

I know from communicating with many of you over the years that some of you live on dirt roads. And you can't see your neighbors house. There aren't any dirt roads to speak of in the north east but I got to see a whole lot of them on this trip. I was trying to imagine what it was like to travel on dirt routinely with an occasional paved road. And of course you may not really have a neighbor. The vastness and openness of the land is just incredible and reassuring. I feel some times like this world is just getting to crowded. Around my area we worry about missing a house in an emergency, not trying to find one for help which would have been the case on most of this trip.

Anyway that's what I've been up two. Saying goodbye to my med crews I've worked with for the last eight years culminating in a most spectacular low level cross country trip. Now to find a job. Or more appropriately said, wait for one of the EMS pilot slots to open up in the other nine bases within an hour of my house. In the mean time next week I'll be flying Chopper 6 News in Philadelphia for a week of work and then I may be off to Muncie Indiana to fill in flying medevac there for Metro. Who knows I may be overworked doing this unemployment thing and have to find a full time job to get a rest. I can only hope so.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
jrenwick

Re: Helicopter trip. A bit of topic

Post by jrenwick »

Nice story, Bruce! It sounds a lot like flying cross-country in a Cub! I hope you find good work soon!
John Renwick
Minneapolis, MN
Former owner, '55 C-170B, N4401B
'42 J-3 Cub, N62088
'50 Swift GC-1B, N2431B, Oshkosh 2009 Outstanding Swift Award, 2016 Best Continuously Maintained Swift
170C

Post by 170C »

Bruce, best of success in finding the right, new job. I have found over my career when something like this happens, although not pleasant at the time, it usually works out much to the better eventually. :)
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
Bruce Fenstermacher

John it is exactly like flying cross country in a Cub EXCEPT for three things. 1. We were doing 120 knots. 2. We were making a LOT of noise. 3. I was being paid to do it, NOT PAYING TO DO IT. :lol:

Yes the last eight years have been very rewarding working with great medical people. Unfortunately the program director is and has been for the last 25 years, well we will just say, less than your ideal boss, or in my case, customer. Everyone I've contacted in EMS for a job knows his reputation and they all say I will enjoy my next EMS job much better because he will have no part in it. So yes Frank I expect this will be a good change in the long run which is why I said Mike and I lost a job but we got the best deal.

3958v

Post by 3958v »

Good luck on the job search. Sounds like you are already finding stuff so I am sure it wont take long to find something better. By the way there are still some dirt roads around you I know that because I live on one. If you fly to next years convention you will probably get to see some even more remote country. Bill K
Polished 48 170 Cat 22 JD 620 & Pug
Bruce Fenstermacher

Bill, I've got news for you. You live on the last dirt road around here. :lol: :lol:

Yes there are dirt roads here. But not many compared to KY, TN, AR and LA. And the roads around here aren't light colored. I'm pretty sure I saw a 4 lane dirt road in AR. 8O

15A

Post by 15A »

Bruce,
I'm saddened to hear of your situation. :( Your efforts in selfishless help is truly an unsung hero!
Most people won't realize this until it's their turn for immediate help.
God bless and warmest of wishes with your venture forward. A good man, as yourself, can not be stopped! :D
Joe Craig
'56 C172 Taildragger N6915A
'46 Aeronca Champ N65HM
W.J.Langholz

Post by W.J.Langholz »

15A wrote:Bruce,
I'm saddened to hear of your situation. :( Your efforts in selfishless help is truly an unsung hero!
Most people won't realize this until it's their turn for immediate help.
God bless and warmest of wishes with your venture forward. A good man, as yourself, can not be stopped! :D

X's 2

W.
ImageMay there always be and Angel flying with you.
Loyalty above all else except honor.
1942 Stearman 450
1946 Super Champ 7AC
DWood

Post by DWood »

Bruce:
I am sure as good a person as you seem to be you will land on your feet with a much better job. Hang in there. I am sure it will work out. It always does.
Dan
Bruce Fenstermacher

Thanks all for the wishes on employment. There are certainly people a whole lot worse off than me.

The point of the thread was to try to describe the trip I was able to take which you just can't put into words. Didn't think to take a camera and quite frankly a picture wouldn't have captured it. One of the things I enjoy the most about flying helicopters is low level flight. I get to see the lay of the land. I study the train tracks and imagine the hay day of trains and how the town I'm crossing grew up around it. Or the lack of trains or any other mode of transportation in the W. Virginia hills and therefor the lack of towns and people.

I'm continually amazed as I fly for five or ten minutes not seeing signs of civilization and bam right there in the middle of no where is a house or farm. I wonder how the owners make a living. Where they buy groceries get gas and all the things I take for granted.

And then of course I enjoy that quick glimpse into peoples lives from a perspective few get to see. I'm amazed at the junk cars and farm equipment and old barns falling down and wonder what treasure might be inside. And quick as that there is another barn and another field full of forgotten vehicles.

Then the change in the terrain as we neared the Mississippi River. Much flatter and darker soil. And very surprised to see lots of the fields so flooded.

Just so much to take in one can not describe it all.

170C

Post by 170C »

Bruce, when you were buzzing along at 500 feet, were you watching for towers or birds? I enjoy low flying too, but in lots of areas one sure has to be careful of the tower situation and always watching for buzzards and hawks. If you want to see some dirt roads and sparce populations, come fly over west Texas, New Mexico and most of the western states. As crowded as it is in the northeast, there sure isn't any population density problem with a lot of the western part of the US. Just figure out how to get sufficient water to those areas and there will be room for tons of folks. We don't need any more in our area however, unless its folks like you.
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
Bruce Fenstermacher

Sure was watching for towers. I inspected a few of their bulbs to insure the filaments were intact.

There were birds of course. Probably more than we would have seen higher but they weren't really a problem. A single bird will usually get out of your way and it's better not trying to miss it. Just continue course and let it make the moves to miss you rather than try to anticipate what it will do.

I did have a split second formation flight with what we would call a turkey vulture. He was soaring straight ahead in the same direction I was going and I really didn't see him and he didn't see me till he passed just outside my rotor and a bit below. He did node his head my way as I passed by but other than that didn't even flinch. My buddy behind me confirmed it didn't even alter course after I passed it. Wonder what it was thinking?

jrenwick

Post by jrenwick »

Here's someone who made a low-level x-c trip in a J3 and took lots of photos. Many of them capture what you're talking about, Bruce!

http://www.vintageflying.com/vintagefly ... 202011.htm
John Renwick
Minneapolis, MN
Former owner, '55 C-170B, N4401B
'42 J-3 Cub, N62088
'50 Swift GC-1B, N2431B, Oshkosh 2009 Outstanding Swift Award, 2016 Best Continuously Maintained Swift
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

Sorry to hear of this turn of events Bruce, but it sounds like you're going at it with right attitude and I'm sure something will turn up. I don't know how far you're willing to go for work, but this temporary job might be a possibility. The guy who posted the job came up to Tehachapi today (he's interested in buying my Harmon Rocket project) and he seems like a straight shooter. The work is power line construction. I can give you his cell # and/or email if you're interested.

Sounds like you had a great trip. Fairly close to the route Ron, Frank, and I flew departing the Lancaster (PA) convention in '93, especially the up close and personal look at the ridgetops in WV! 8O Sounds like you had better weather, though!
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
wingnut

Post by wingnut »

Bruce Fenstermacher wrote:I'm continually amazed as I fly for five or ten minutes not seeing signs of civilization and bam right there in the middle of no where is a house or farm. I wonder how the owners make a living. Where they buy groceries get gas and all the things I take for granted............ I'm amazed at the junk cars and farm equipment and old barns falling down and wonder what treasure might be inside. And quick as that there is another barn and another field full of forgotten vehicles..
I didn't know you flew over my place Bruce. You should have called before you left. I have a few nice places to land that beast, and we could have looked at those old junk cars, treasures, and the 4 lane dirt road. Then went to Rocky Stop and picked up beer, bait, and..... CALL NEXT TIME WILL YA???? :D
Del Lehmann
Mena, Arkansas