On the topic of carb floats...

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

GAHorn

On the topic of carb floats...

Post by GAHorn »

On the subject of carb floats.... the original floats were hollow brass. That's the old-tyme method of the majority of all carburetors. Usually works just fine.

Facet decided to supercede those with a plastic (Delrin) type. It failed to live very long, as hollow plastic ones are also capable of taking on fuel and sinking.

Then some black foam floats were issued....and they too failed. The carb mfr'r has made every effort to convince folks that only THEIR floats are any good (despite the fact that only THEIR floats are the ones that keep failing) and Kelly Aerospace has gone to some length to point out that their FAA-PMA hollow brass floats have approval and good service history despite the carb mfr'r declaring anyone but their own to be "unauthorized". ( "unauthorized" by themselves, they mean.)

The lastest/greatest effort to convince everyone to install only their own mfr'd floats is contained in a video which, although not mandatory, is at least interesting. (As I don't plan to drill holes, support cars, or cook/bake with my carburetor, I'm keeping my hollow brass float installed by Consolodated in 1997 until it fails or until the next engine overhaul, whichever comes first. As Cleo would say, "If it ain't broke, don't mess with it.")

Here's a link to the movie:
http://www.tempestplus.com/volare800k.wmv

Here's Kelly's opinion on it:
SL_028_Unauthorized_Parts_s.pdf
(546.26 KiB) Downloaded 844 times
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)