tailwheel

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

dpowell

Re: tailwheel

Post by dpowell »

Finally got back into the air today with new tailwheel springs (tension) and 36V now handles just like it should. Wheel breaks free and I can now do a point turn. Thanks for the help .
Fearless Tower

Post by Fearless Tower »

Can someone please confirm the correct Part number that Spruce has for the Tension Springs???

I just got the final invoice for the annual-turned-restoration of my '48, and as I was going through it, I found the Compression Springs listed above on the bill (I had my A&P install a brand new Alaskan Bushweel 3200). The part number on the invoice matches the photo of the compression spings exactly.

I haven't seen the plane yet (I'm supposed to go up to CNO to test fly it tomorrow), but am very concerned and want to make sure I have the right springs.

So far, the closest thing I have found was from Alaskan Bushwheel - 3239 - Heavy Duty Tension Spring Kit which runs for $54. How do I order just the springs?
Andrew Hochhaus
N3996V - 1948 170
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

You call Aircraft Spruce, 877-477-7823, and tell them you want THEIR pn 06-00008 tailwheel spring kit (Scott PN 3239).
Tailwheel Parts Illustration.pdf
Aircraft Spruce Tailwheel Parts Illustrations
(89.99 KiB) Downloaded 471 times
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

I don't believe you can order just the springs. They come in the kit which includes the chain and clips. I know there is less thank $10 worth of hardware in the kit if you were buying this at a local hardware store, but your not.

Woops, just read the last line in your post. if you just want the springs, order them from Univair.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
dpowell

Post by dpowell »

3239 is the correct # for the spring kit from scott.. Acsp p/n is 06-00008. Dont know if you can get spring only. However that spring kit solved my problems. :)
Fearless Tower

Post by Fearless Tower »

I'd go with Univair, but Spruce is just too dang close - my plane is located about 30 min from the Corona store - kit has already been installed - test flight tomorrow if the weather holds!

Amazing thing is that if I hadn't seen this thread recently, I would never have noticed anything was wrong when I was reviewing the invoice. A&P simply bought new compression springs to replace what was already on there.
Andrew Hochhaus
N3996V - 1948 170
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Fearless Tower wrote:I'd go with Univair, but Spruce is just too dang close - my plane is located about 30 min from the Corona store - kit has already been installed - test flight tomorrow if the weather holds!

Amazing thing is that if I hadn't seen this thread recently, I would never have noticed anything was wrong when I was reviewing the invoice. A&P simply bought new compression springs to replace what was already on there.
Ask your A&P...if he'd found an automotive oil filter installed...would he just have replaced it with an identical part...??? .... or would he have bothered to check and see what the CORRECT part should be....(?) :roll: (Explain to him that if you'd wanted an amateur's work done on your airplane you wouldn't expect to have to pay the price of a professional AMT...) :?
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
15A

Post by 15A »

As I tell my son,
There are mechanics, and there are parts replacers...
Joe Craig
'56 C172 Taildragger N6915A
'46 Aeronca Champ N65HM
Bruce Fenstermacher

Ok lets not go overboard. Would have been nice to get the correct springs. Remember there could have been compression springs on the aircraft so the mechanic may have simply replaced the springs with like springs. Those springs being advertised as correct springs for the job. And unfortunately the only springs you can readily find in the Spruce catalog George often reminds folks to use. And then the mechanic is likely to find these same springs on half the tail wheel aircraft he sees. This is hardly the same as using readily identifiable car parts for airplane parts.

And here is a thought. Maybe they are the correct tensions springs, just miss identified on the invoice.

I understand the closeness of the Spruce store, but if they won't sell them by them selves you have three choices. Fly with what you have. Buy the Kit and pay kit price from Spruce. Or order just the springs from Univair.

Did the plane have springs when it was delivered? What were they? If tension springs, put them back on. They may not look nice and new but they'll probably work for another 50 years.

Fearless Tower

Post by Fearless Tower »

Bruce Fenstermacher wrote:Remember there could have been compression springs on the aircraft so the mechanic may have simply replaced the springs with like springs.
That is exactly what happened - the airplane had a Maule Tailwheel with compression springs when I bought it (before I had ever known the difference and seen this thread). I decided to replace the tailwheel with a new 3200 and the A&P replaced the older compression springs with new.
Andrew Hochhaus
N3996V - 1948 170
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Fearless Tower wrote:
Bruce Fenstermacher wrote:Remember there could have been compression springs on the aircraft so the mechanic may have simply replaced the springs with like springs.
That is exactly what happened - the airplane had a Maule Tailwheel with compression springs when I bought it (before I had ever known the difference and seen this thread). I decided to replace the tailwheel with a new 3200 and the A&P replaced the older compression springs with new.

Which is why I made the incorrect-parts analogy..... Wrong parts ...is WRONG PARTS....and anyone working on a certificated airplane is supposed to have the manuals and documents to identify and correct any deficiencies.... such as Maule parts on a Cessna. ...or they shouldn't be working on it per FARs. ...and the Spruce catalog does NOT qualify! :roll:
Bruce Fenstermacher

A Maule SFS-1-2-P8 is allowed under the TCDS. Would it not follow one might use Maule springs with it?

Actually if you follow the tail wheel trail all 170s came with Scott 3-24B tail wheel and associated hardware. This hardware does not include the 3239 tension spring but the smaller 2151 spring.
018.jpg
I've actually only seen one 170 with a Scott 3-24B installed. And it had the correct smaller control springs.

The larger Scott 3200 which was an option and included its own hardware (the 3239 spring) from Cessna and the TCDS allows it's installation according to Scott Instructions which also call for the larger 3229 spring.

But the Maule had no hardware of it's own so one should have actually used the lighter original 2151 spring which is the stock control spring for our 170 unless you have a Scott 3200 installed. We know that the Maule compression spring was not used as it hadn't been developed yet. But once it had wouldn't it follow they be used with a Maule tail wheel on a 170?

You can see how lots of folks would think so. Not so obvious as a Orange Fram filter of course. Which brings up a thought. I wonder what color was the Fram filter that IS approved for use on our 170s? :evil: