Next obstacle to flying - Fuel Strainer

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

philnino

Re: Next obstacle to flying - Fuel Strainer

Post by philnino »

I'm looking at BeeMans pics of his strainer and wondering how the secondary screen actually attaches. Mine is glued on though it does not look original. I don't see it even listed in my 170A parts catalog. It is shown in the 100 series manual.
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

The screen slips on the pipe which has a slit in it. A spring clip on the bottom of the screen slides into the slit holding it all together.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
philnino

Post by philnino »

Does anyone have pics of this spring clip on the gascolator screen? Or a part number? Does this clip keep both screens up on the center post?
Thanks,
Phillip
PS Sorry for the hijack.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

It's merely a straight-wire made of spring steel attached to the lower screen-can.
If yours is missing... perhaps a common safety-pin clip might work.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
philnino

Post by philnino »

Thanks for the quick reply!
Last question, I promise on this hijack... So what holds the screens in place? I am not at the hangar now but from what I remember the two screens were glued to the upper seal. When I started tinkering I found that the screens would not stay in place on the down tube once I removed all the glue and the old seal. Does the down tube knurling need to be refinished or am I just completely forgetting something?
I will have to see about the safety pin replacement. Thanks for the idea.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

I wasn't suggesting an actual safety-pin (althought that might work just fine) but was suggesting that "type" of clip which is available at most hardware stores and McMaster-Carr.
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

I wasn't suggesting an actual safety-pin (althought that might work just fine) but was suggesting that "type" of clip which is available at most hardware stores and McMaster-Carr.
Here's a "hairpin cotter" which is probably ideal in the right size:
The round-middle will circumvent the tube while the straight side will engage the slot in the tube.
Check out this size: http://www.mcmaster.com/#hairpin-cotter-pins/=cg3l26

Here's a "bowtie cotter" if you can't find the hairpin you prefer ...Image
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

I have been going over some of the stuff I missed earlier this year and this particular one caught my eye.
Three pages of hand wringing about a gascolator that can't seem to be replaced by a part number.
What in the hell is such a big deal. I replaced the glass bowl gascolator years ago with a metal one and no one ever gave a damn one way or the other. The metal one out of a later moden Cessna did the job so what was the difference?
I'd consider that about as important as painting the cowling red instead of orange.
BL
Fearless Tower

Post by Fearless Tower »

blueldr wrote:I have been going over some of the stuff I missed earlier this year and this particular one caught my eye.
Three pages of hand wringing about a gascolator that can't seem to be replaced by a part number.
What in the hell is such a big deal. I replaced the glass bowl gascolator years ago with a metal one and no one ever gave a damn one way or the other. The metal one out of a later moden Cessna did the job so what was the difference?
I'd consider that about as important as painting the cowling red instead of orange.
Do you have a '48, or an A/B model?

What is such a big deal? Parts approval. I want things done legally/correctly now so that when I eventually try to sell my plane, I am not having to deal with it later.

The problem I had was that the metal gascolator is only approved for the As and Bs....not for the '48 which used a different gascolator. We tried to get a Field Approval to install the metal gascolator that is approved for the 140 (the 140 and '48 170 used the same part), but that was taking so bloody long that I finally gave up and installed the correct salvage part that I bought from someone at the 140 Association board.
Andrew Hochhaus
N3996V - 1948 170
indyav8n

Post by indyav8n »

I think I have the exact one you need, nos for early 170, I will PM you.

Wes
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

I am certainly no fan of our FAA, but I find it difficult to believe that they would be that critical over a gascolator on an antique airplane. Did they actually refuse to accept that change on a 337 with the explanation of the lack of availability of the original sixty year old part for the replacement?
I can not believe that of the maintenance guys working down at the FSDO level.
BL
Fearless Tower

Post by Fearless Tower »

blueldr wrote:I am certainly no fan of our FAA, but I find it difficult to believe that they would be that critical over a gascolator on an antique airplane. Did they actually refuse to accept that change on a 337 with the explanation of the lack of availability of the original sixty year old part for the replacement?
I can not believe that of the maintenance guys working down at the FSDO level.
Part of the problem was that the old DER retired, so it was a new young pup (fresh out of school in Oklahoma) that we were dealiing with who was treating the approval like a procedure for a nuclear reactor. I could have stuck with it and eventually gotten it, I think, but since I was able to find a suitable replacement part, I gave up and put that in. One of these days, if I need to go through this again, I may try again with a different guy.
Andrew Hochhaus
N3996V - 1948 170