What's the best lubricant for fuel tank caps?

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

pdb

What's the best lubricant for fuel tank caps?

Post by pdb »

My caps are tight and hard to remove. What's the best lubricant?

In a pinch I use engine oil but it seems to wash off pretty quickly. Fuel Lube supposedly gets really hard when cold and Dow warns that "Dimethyl silicone compounds (like DC-4) should not be applied to O rings or other components made of silicone rubber because they will destroy the silicone rubber. These compounds will also slightly swell natural butyl rubbers."

I used DC-4 last year and my tanks are tighter this spring though I am not sure what material is used in the tank gaskets.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Pete Brown
Anchorage, Alaska
N4563C 1953 170B
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2366/2527 ... 4e43_b.jpg
GAHorn

Re: What's the best lubricant for fuel tank caps?

Post by GAHorn »

Fuel lube would not be a problem even in winter due to mechanical advantage. But its possible your cap tension is set too tightly.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
KG

Post by KG »

I'm having the same problem. I used Fuel Lube on mine but it seems to get more and more sticky with time and after a few months isn't very slippery. I was thinking of a good old fashioned squirt of WD-40 but haven't tried it yet. Any reason I wouldn't want to try WD-40?
53 170B
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

KG wrote:I'm having the same problem. I used Fuel Lube on mine but it seems to get more and more sticky with time and after a few months isn't very slippery. I was thinking of a good old fashioned squirt of WD-40 but haven't tried it yet. Any reason I wouldn't want to try WD-40?
Is this a trick-question? Image
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
David Sbur

Post by David Sbur »

EZ Turn, the gaskets I can get nowadays are a tad thicker than the originals. EZ Turn will last me most of the flying season. It's rather thick, whitish, and very tenacious.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/c ... rnlube.php
WA State Rep. Intl Cessna 120-140 Asso.
Cessna 140 1946 N110V
Vancouver WA
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

David Sbur wrote:EZ Turn, the gaskets I can get nowadays are a tad thicker than the originals. EZ Turn will last me most of the flying season. It's rather thick, whitish, and very tenacious.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/c ... rnlube.php
Yep...that's what I use (and that which I actually meant when I casually agreed with "fuel lube")
Unless you're a mechanic doing fuel valves regularly....get the small tube....it'll last a lifetime.
(A little dab'll do ya') = Brylcreem ad

KG

Post by KG »

gahorn wrote:
KG wrote:I'm having the same problem. I used Fuel Lube on mine but it seems to get more and more sticky with time and after a few months isn't very slippery. I was thinking of a good old fashioned squirt of WD-40 but haven't tried it yet. Any reason I wouldn't want to try WD-40?
Is this a trick-question? Image
:D No tricks here George! haha... I love WD-40 almost as much as you do. I was seriously thinking that it couldn't hurt anything but sometimes you, and others, point out what should be obvious to me.
53 170B
Blue4

Post by Blue4 »

I can't say I'd personally advocate it ... but I'm just amazed that no one else has.

MARVEL MYSTERY OIL.

A friend of mine recently accused me of enjoying pouring honey on the ant hill...
-Scott
n2582d

Post by n2582d »

pdb wrote:... Dow warns that "Dimethyl silicone compounds (like DC-4) should not be applied to O rings or other components made of silicone rubber because they will destroy the silicone rubber. These compounds will also slightly swell natural butyl rubbers."

I used DC-4 last year and my tanks are tighter this spring though I am not sure what material is used in the tank gaskets.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
If the price wasn't so high I'd suggest trying Dow 3452. Here's what Champion says about using DC-4 on their silicone rubber ignition insulator tips.
Gary
pdb

Post by pdb »

Guys:

Thanks for all the helpful information. I think I will perhaps adjust the caps and then and just lubricate these things more regularly with EZ Turn or MMO.

Pete
Pete Brown
Anchorage, Alaska
N4563C 1953 170B
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2366/2527 ... 4e43_b.jpg