Revisiting Oil Quanity Dip Sticks

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

indyav8n

Revisiting Oil Quanity Dip Sticks

Post by indyav8n »

Members,

After reading the thread regarding the Oil Dip Stick P/N's I am still at a loss. I have been trying to figure out which is the correct one for an engine we are working on.

The thread described it as follows: (In short, the correct dipstick has a part number etched.stamped onto it, and for a 170 the correct dipstick is PN 628410A1. (Note: Use with P/N A5230 oil sump.
Oil sump P/N 530091 is identical to P/N A5230 except for addition of an oil drain back connection. Use P/N 649608-16 oil gauge rod with P/N 530091 oil sump.)

The oil sump we have for the C-145 seems to be stamped L 5280, which does not match any of the previous information on the topic. To add to the confusion, the current dip stick
in my airplane's C-145 has a P/N 531081 stamped on it. Has anyone else ran into any of the numbers I have mentioned or have any thoughts?

Thanks, Wes
cessna170bdriver

Re: Revisiting Oil Quanity Dip Sticks

Post by cessna170bdriver »

My engine's oil dipstick is P/N 531081, and is the correct one for my O-300A. Photo in this thread. I don't have any info on my sump P/N with me.
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

indyav8n wrote:Members,

After reading the thread regarding the Oil Dip Stick P/N's I am still at a loss. I have been trying to figure out which is the correct one for an engine we are working on.

The thread described it as follows: (In short, the correct dipstick has a part number etched.stamped onto it, and for a 170 the correct dipstick is PN 628410A1. (Note: Use with P/N A5230 oil sump.
Oil sump P/N 530091 is identical to P/N A5230 except for addition of an oil drain back connection. Use P/N 649608-16 oil gauge rod with P/N 530091 oil sump.)

The oil sump we have for the C-145 seems to be stamped L 5280, which does not match any of the previous information on the topic. To add to the confusion, the current dip stick
in my airplane's C-145 has a P/N 531081 stamped on it. Has anyone else ran into any of the numbers I have mentioned or have any thoughts?

Thanks, Wes
Wes...Here's the TCM Service Information Letter on Oil Gauge Rods:
TCM SIL00-7A Oil Gauge Rod.pdf
(359.16 KiB) Downloaded 295 times
The info regarding the sump is not correct for the C145/O300 engine. (it applies to the C-80/85/90 engines)
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
indyav8n

Post by indyav8n »

George,

Thanks for the download, however it does not address the 145 specifically, just the 300's, and I realize they are the same.
The other item you mentioned was the sump number, it is possible the L is actually a miss stamped ( A ) since the
last number which looks like a C is probably an 0. To see it it looks like L528C, I surmise it to be A5280.

I feel we may have been snookered, while the books indicate a C145 installed and removed from a Global Swift,
the swifts were only certified for C125 in the TCDS. That's not to say it could have been a one off installation.
We have not pulled it apart to check the bore yet, so I will try and research the serial number.

Wes
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Wes, I think you can safely forgettabout the sump as an issue on this topic. For one thing, the previous post which mislead you on that matter was posted by me and erroneously sourced the wrong footnote. I've since corrected that commentary in that old discussion.

For another reason you can forget about your sump...what you are seeing is not a Part Number... you are observing what I believe to be a CASTING number....and is not applicable.

TCM's old PN's (for C-145's) supercede to the PN's listed in the SIL I posted as applicable to the O-300 engine series. BOTH engines utilize the SAME IPC which refers the reader to inform TCM of the "engine model, airframe model, and date mfr'd" to determine the correct oil gauge rod. The SIL I posted will be consulted and the rods mentioned in the SIL will be furnished.

As for the C145 in a Swift: ALL installations of this engine in a Swift were done by STC. No C145/O300 engines were ever installed by the factory. The C-125 engine was the largest factory-installed engine.
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
indyav8n

Post by indyav8n »

Thanks George, I feel better! We were really excited when we ran across this engine since it was a first run,
we just need to put together a couple of missing items.

Wes
Glenn

Post by Glenn »

On the dipstick note...I've noticed that I get a different reading from my dipstick depending on how I place it back in it the hole in my '48 with a C-145. It certainly has an angle to it and my partner and I have agreed that the proper reading is met when the loop in the stick is facing the firewall. If you turn the loop towards the ground it reads a larger quantity and if you turn the loop to the sky it reads less. We surmised that the dipstick is in a more vertical posistion when installed with the loop facing the firewall with the plane sitting in a standard three point attitude. I've never been sure if this is correct so I figured I'd ask a (seemingly stupid) question here to see what the consensus might be.
I must like the classics. All of my vehicles are older than I am.

Looking for a 1/3 partner in my '48 170. PM for details
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Put a known quantity in and run the engine, then let it settle for an hour or so, then use all techniques to determine which gives the most accurate reading. :wink: